924guy
924guy HalfDork
7/31/09 10:43 p.m.

anyone see this?

news on mx-2

griffin729
griffin729 Reader
7/31/09 10:52 p.m.

I had heard rumors of an MX-2, this is the first I've seen a rendering. 1.6 turbo on a lighter platform than the Miata? I want one.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler Reader
7/31/09 10:57 p.m.

That is dead sexy. Looks much better than the current MX-5.

PaulY
PaulY Reader
7/31/09 11:01 p.m.

I heard the Mazda 2 (based on fiesta) might be coming here, so does that mean this will be based on it or will it be rwd?

This thing looks amazing, light weight, good power from turbo four, I want one!

m4ff3w
m4ff3w Dork
7/31/09 11:06 p.m.

While it looks nice, FWD would keep me from owning one.

carguy123
carguy123 Dork
7/31/09 11:28 p.m.
Tom_Spangler wrote: That is dead sexy. Looks much better than the current MX-5.

What doesn't look better than the current MX-5?

OK a couple of the Kias, but that's about all.

I like the body!!!

FWD? Please say NO!! I didn't see anything on that page that said FWD.

PaulY
PaulY Reader
7/31/09 11:52 p.m.

Yea the proportions and power bulge seem to suggest rwd. Man Mazda just keeps getting cooler and cooler.

"Hmm, how many rwd sports car do we have? Two? Let's make another, but let's make it cheaper and ridiculously good looking too"

I like the way they think.

GregTivo
GregTivo Reader
7/31/09 11:54 p.m.
carguy123 wrote:
Tom_Spangler wrote: That is dead sexy. Looks much better than the current MX-5.
What doesn't look better than the current MX-5? OK a couple of the Kias, but that's about all. I like the body!!! FWD? Please say NO!! I didn't see anything on that page that said FWD.

Lotus Elan would countervail the arguement against a well set up FWD roadster, especially with the engine properly placed for good balance. If it created a 15,000-20,000 dollar convertible with a chassis as tight as a MINI, I'd be all for it.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago HalfDork
8/1/09 12:12 a.m.

So maybe this will be the car to dethrone the miata. I think I'd be ok with that.

Wowak
Wowak Dork
8/1/09 4:13 a.m.

This topic has been beaten to death on Miata.net. That image is merely a photoshop of the current MX-5. If anyone believes Mazda is going to bring a SECOND lightweight, two seat sports car to market, I have a bridge to sell you.

Luke
Luke Dork
8/1/09 4:20 a.m.
Wowak wrote: If anyone believes Mazda is going to bring a SECOND lightweight, two seat sports car to market, I have a bridge to sell you.

Unless maybe, it was a Kei car for the Japanese market. Something like the Suzuki Cappuccino.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed Reader
8/1/09 5:49 a.m.
Wowak wrote: This topic has been beaten to death on Miata.net. That image is merely a photoshop of the current MX-5. If anyone believes Mazda is going to bring a SECOND lightweight, two seat sports car to market, I have a bridge to sell you.

I agree, that would make no sense at all. However, if that was to be the next Miata ( or similar) I would have no problem with that at all.

924guy
924guy HalfDork
8/1/09 7:37 a.m.

i was actually looking for info on the mazda 2 when i found the mx2. a friend just came back from Costa Rica and had rented one, and was pretty impressed by it. one of the articles i scanned mentioned it was slated for the us in 2011, with the mx2 based on the m2 platform coming around the same time. apparently the new ford fiesta is also based on the same platform. i have no idea if the info is accurate, but it made me curious about it...

Bobzilla
Bobzilla HalfDork
8/1/09 8:17 a.m.
Luke wrote:
Wowak wrote: If anyone believes Mazda is going to bring a SECOND lightweight, two seat sports car to market, I have a bridge to sell you.
Unless maybe, it was a Kei car for the Japanese market. Something like the Suzuki Cappuccino.

mmmmmmm Cappuccino. I want one of those soooo bad.

Wowak
Wowak Dork
8/1/09 12:49 p.m.

Mazda has already leaked info that they intend to make the next MX-5 smaller and lighter, potentially with a turbo 1.6L. Either the MX-2 is the new MX-5 or there is no MX-2. I can't imagine Mazda shooting themselves in the foot by making the MX-5 FWD.

Besides, why would the first scoop out of Japan be via a British magazine? A quick googling doesn't find anything about the MX-2 that doesn't refer back to that one speculative article.

Keith
Keith SuperDork
8/1/09 7:33 p.m.

I'd like it to be true. Remember that when the Miata was introduced, Mazda already had a two-seat sports car on the market. An MX-2 could be a return to the original Miata ethos of cheap and cheerful. No power hardtop, no 17" wheels, no horsepower. Heck, no radio in the base model. Just a fun, low-power car that's cute and entertaining for $16,000 or so. Let the Miata take on the "older brother" role. Give the MX-2 something like a low-pressure turbo 1.3 and watch it become a real darling of the tuner set :)

I'm not going to put any faith in this being true. Heck, we're still waiting for the 2007 2.3 DISI turbo Mazdaspeed MX-5 that the internets promised us but Mazda never did. But boy, wouldn't it be fun?

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 Reader
8/1/09 7:37 p.m.

In reply to Keith:

Hahahaha well written Keith, well written

keethrax
keethrax New Reader
8/1/09 9:38 p.m.
Keith wrote: I'm not going to put any faith in this being true. Heck, we're still waiting for the 2007 2.3 DISI turbo Mazdaspeed MX-5 that the internets promised us but Mazda never did. But boy, wouldn't it be fun?

Having driven a few miata's and owning a car with that motor... yes, yes it would.

I've avoided shopping for miatas because I've never had much of a garage, and I'm against owning a convertible that has to live outside all the time. However, we close on a house with a largish garage in a few weeks. It may be time to start looking for a miata of my very own.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg Dork
8/3/09 12:32 p.m.

Now take that image, close your eyes and open the hood to reveal..........a Renesis 13B turbo.

For Keith substitute ..................LSx turbo

Rusty_Rabbit84
Rusty_Rabbit84 HalfDork
8/3/09 1:00 p.m.

in my eye, it looks similar to a BMW Z4, but it might be the color they used in that pic...

carguy123
carguy123 Dork
8/3/09 1:17 p.m.

It looks like they've taken the best aspects of the older Miata, the bimmer, and an S2000 and put them all together. It works for me

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 Dork
8/3/09 10:38 p.m.

what the hell would be the point of having almost the exact same car selling on the lots? If I was an uninformed Joe Schmoe looking for a convertible two-seater and found my way to the Mazda lot, I would buy the cheaper better looking one. It'd be like GM throwing an LS2 in the Solstice and selling it next to the Corvette for a fraction of the cost.

Keith
Keith SuperDork
8/3/09 11:48 p.m.

That's an excellent analogy. GM does sell the Corvette and the Solstice side by side - well, sorta. The aftermarket will put an LS2 in the Solstice if you want, but GM doesn't. Instead, the Solstice has a different style, a lower price tag and less performance. Does the Solstice cannibalize Vette sales?

In the same way, Mazda could do a baby Miata. Smaller, lighter, less powerful. As I mentioned, they've done it before. The current Miata is the second real generation of the car - the 1999 redesign was an evolution of the original. The current car is bigger, heavier and more powerful than the 1990.

In 1990, Mazda had the second generation of the RX-7, and you could buy a convertible version of the car. Bigger, heavier and more powerful than the original.

So they sold two convertible two-seaters side by side. They were separated by price and horsepower (maybe not by torque!) and by looks. So Mazda's already done it, and only 20 years ago. Why not again?

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
8/4/09 12:01 a.m.

Um wut? For the same model year Mazda hasn't had the RX7 with a different chassis. They have had different trim and power levels or vert versions of the same chassis, but that isn't really whats being proposed in this thread.

car39
car39 Reader
8/4/09 9:57 a.m.

There was a coupe version of the Smart car a few years back. I saw one at a dealership in Italy, and actually bought the hat. It was a sharp looking two seater, I think the drivetrain was a 3 cylinder mid engine. Since I don't speak Italian,it was tough to get any info on the car, but they had no problem taking my Euros for the hat.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4GMLxIaSniOPbtxhwwrIKCqiuSefFao8Wui3vC5P22YrhP1YJsmP38NKJFIA5ilY