1 2 3 4
ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter)
ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) Dork
9/15/22 6:49 a.m.

Tough crowd here. The marketing prose in the press release sounds like Guy Fieri wrote it, but otherwise I think it looks awesome. Yes they are playing to the backwards hat crowd, but nobody gives Dodge grief over the Hellcat Demon Redeye Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson Signature Edition Superblasted Challenger, how is this worse?  They know their audience. What a time to be alive... you can buy a bespoke track weapon with 500hp and custom suspension, aero, cooling, etc. right from the Ford dealer's lot. For Mustang prices. 

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
9/15/22 7:07 a.m.

I don't hate it, but I don't love it either. It's just a tweaking of the current S550 which I also feel the same about. Too much Camaro added to it, a car that is pretty much a styling disaster.

Dark Horse, blah blah blah. Sounds like something Harley or Indian would call a bike with matte black paint on everything. I'll never afford one, so really don't care. Tell me about the more pedestrian models I could potentially afford.

Big azz screen in the dash like Tesla and Audi. Meh.

It weighs too much, which is why it needs 500 hp to be exciting. Think I'll keep my S197.

STM317
STM317 PowerDork
9/15/22 7:35 a.m.

The styling is...fine. I think I prefer the current body style, but we'll wait to see it in person.

The hardware included in the Dark Horse package seems pretty appealing. Although I'm hoping the 19s could be replaced by 18s.

Captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/15/22 7:52 a.m.

I loathe it.

It looks like they wanted to go cyberpunk, but didn't have the fortitude to commit to it and kept some softer styling cues leading to a disjointed mess that lacks direction. 

Put me down in the "another generation of mustang that I wish the drivetrain was available in another platform that wasn't an F-150" camp. 

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
9/15/22 9:27 a.m.

As always, I want the car to be smaller like my 1965 Mustang. But I don't dislike it at first glance.

AMiataCalledSteve
AMiataCalledSteve Reader
9/15/22 9:36 a.m.

Before this morning I had no idea a new mustang was imminent. But based on the pics it looks pretty cool, I bet it will look very nice in the flesh. I'll reserve judgment until then I suppose

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
9/15/22 9:41 a.m.

In reply to AMiataCalledSteve :

But is it a new Mustang?  Or, is it a mid-model-run "refresh?"  I suspect it is the same floor pan and same roof panel and the change is the typical new front/rear bumper and lights as well as style line changes/creases to the side panels.  

2022:

2023:

I'm not "hating" on the car.  I'm just more calling out the marketing hype.  But, I'm glad to see investment given to keeping the Mustang fresh.  

spacecadet (Forum Supporter)
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
9/15/22 9:49 a.m.

I'm a fan of what looks to be the base model.

I like the grille and i think the car looks good without a rear tack on wing.

yupididit
yupididit PowerDork
9/15/22 9:55 a.m.

I like it! 

The front end kind of reminds me of an Audi R8. I like analog dashes in old cars and digital dashes in new cars. Remember people hated digital dashes in old cars when they were new but now we find them cool in those same old cars for nostalgic reasons. Cant please everyone. Also, it's still ICE ya'll should be happy about that.

I remember when the new Supra was released, I liked it and pretty much everyone hated it and picked it apart. It seems people like it now. 

WE DON'T KNOW WHAT WE WANT as a collective car enthusiast community. 

Danny Shields (Forum Supporter)
Danny Shields (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
9/15/22 9:55 a.m.

I like it. When anyone spots one coming down the road for the first time, they will know it is the new Mustang, just like each new generation of Porsche 911, or Corvette. 

500 hp? Wow! I used to think my '85 Mustang GT 5.0 was hilariously overpowered with 210 hp. 

Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 Dork
9/15/22 10:07 a.m.

In reply to Danny Shields (Forum Supporter) :

I still think that the C8 is a Italian car when I first see it on the road. 

The new mustang looks so similar to the current one other than the head and tail lights. Also looks a lot like  a Dodge in the one shot from above. 

yupididit
yupididit PowerDork
9/15/22 10:09 a.m.

I always disliked the frontend on the current gen Mustang. Especially headlights.

calteg
calteg SuperDork
9/15/22 10:11 a.m.

Looks are hit & miss, mostly miss. Dark horse this, dark horse that, tell me about the base GT. Will that "target 500hp?"  Given that they'll likely stretch this production cycle out, there's a decent chance at seeing incentives in 5-6 years...500hp for $30k would be real, real compelling

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
9/15/22 10:11 a.m.
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) said:

I loathe it.

It looks like they wanted to go cyberpunk, but didn't have the fortitude to commit to it and kept some softer styling cues leading to a disjointed mess that lacks direction. 

Put me down in the "another generation of mustang that I wish the drivetrain was available in another platform that wasn't an F-150" camp. 

FWIW, if not for the V8 being in the F150, the Mustang would not have a V8. Even so,  the take rate for F150 v8s is low enough to make it really tough to justify it. 

Will
Will UberDork
9/15/22 10:33 a.m.

It looks so much like the current car I genuinely can't tell if it's just a refresh or an all-new car.

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
9/15/22 10:41 a.m.
yupididit said:

The front end kind of reminds me of an Audi R8. I like analog dashes in old cars and digital dashes in new cars. Remember people hated digital dashes in old cars when they were new but now we find them cool in those same old cars for nostalgic reasons. Cant please everyone. Also, it's still ICE ya'll should be happy about that.

If you're referring to the digital dashes of the 80s, those were always crap. But, the lens of nostalgia makes them more appealing in a "quirk of the era" kind of way. Not because we now think they are good.

I don't think anyone is unhappy that they are still making an ICE pony car. But we can still criticize the styling and marketing.

yupididit
yupididit PowerDork
9/15/22 10:46 a.m.

In reply to Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) :

Exactly. They were crap and eventually people found them cool for some reason lol. I think some digital dashes are well done. It really depends on the UI/UX for me.

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
9/15/22 10:51 a.m.
alfadriver said:
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) said:

I loathe it.

FWIW, if not for the V8 being in the F150, the Mustang would not have a V8. Even so,  the take rate for F150 v8s is low enough to make it really tough to justify it. 

Because the 3.5 is optional. Optional means MSRP $, which gives dealers extra $. And dealers don't give out there exclusively limited ordering slots either. They pretty much get what ford gives them to sell.

Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter)
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
9/15/22 10:54 a.m.

I like it.

Not enough to trade my S550 off for one.

But if I was in the market.

Captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/15/22 11:15 a.m.

In reply to alfadriver :

Oh I'm a fan of the V8 being available in the F150, I just don't have a need for a 1/2 ton truck. If Ford followed the lead of someone else and tossed it into a mid engine platform (though without going full GT spec on size and price) they'd sell about 12 of them, but it'd be awesome. 

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
9/15/22 11:20 a.m.

Can't say it interests me at all but that is the same story of pretty much every Mustang.

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 Dork
9/15/22 11:25 a.m.

The styling of the front is an improvement. I like the current gen rear end better, the new version the taillights look like they are awkwardly high, and I preferred the old horizontal trunk line with the black filler between the lights. The angles in the new one make the trunk opening bigger...but also makes the back look really tall.

I know it's because of the pedestrian impact regs, but I hate how much of a "hump" the hood has in it at the front.

Flynlow (FS)
Flynlow (FS) Dork
9/15/22 11:33 a.m.
ddavidv said:

Too much Camaro added to it, a car that is pretty much a styling disaster.

This was my first thought too.  The Camaro has been 3rd place behind the Mustang and Challenger in the pony car wars, I don't know why you'd look to it for inspiration about what to do right.

That being said, Ford (and GM actually) have been crushing it on interior improvements (two tones, contrast stitching, suede options, etc.).  The Bronco's interior on the fancier trim levels is downright impressive, and it looks like some of that continues here.  The glaring touchscreen jumping out of the dash at you is just state of the market, unfortunately. 

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom UltimaDork
9/15/22 11:42 a.m.

I really like this part:

And I mean that, and not just as an insult to the rest of the car. I don't like how attempted-aggressive the lights have gotten, much of the rest of the shape is fine, the grill is okay, but I really, really like the crisp cutoff and simple, almost-not-a-compound-curve hood.

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon Dork
9/15/22 11:43 a.m.

I think it's a pretty sharp looking car.  It looks a lot like an S550 mashed up with 2006 Guigairo concept especially in the trunk "pocket" and the low sloping hood line.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BbOEX58CJcGNKAZQ9ayN6ar9rf86lSrjOSmjUdTQACdmloFuIjcRvwVpuytfV5nW