1 2 3 4
rustomatic
rustomatic HalfDork
9/15/22 11:46 a.m.

Oh, this:  "3D-printed titanium shift ball."  How could it not be "sinister?"

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 UltraDork
9/15/22 11:57 a.m.

It's been  said but I keep thinking we have already seen the last best internal combustion cars before electric just destroys everything... then this. Wow. 

Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter)
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/15/22 12:21 p.m.

It looks like something went wrong with the forum earlier. I made another post, hit post, then GRM froze up. When I could get back to GRM 15 minutes later and never posted. Oh well. Anyway, I'm here at the auto show. Unfortunately it is more disappointing in person than even the pictures. Very Camaro at the rear, I still think it's too Audi, square, boring at the front. 

and the boring derivative design language is really highlighted when this current Shelby looks so good just a few feet away.

IKR
IKR New Reader
9/15/22 12:28 p.m.

Stupid ad copy, it's not for me, but I'm not mad at the car itself especially in what's touted as the last days of ICEs. I still see the mustang lineage and from what I can see not bad looking.  

SupraFiend
SupraFiend New Reader
9/15/22 12:33 p.m.

I think the new era mustang has become like the 911. Ever since the first (immensely popular) retro model, the early 2000s one, they've only made small iterations on the design of the previous gen. Its become very difficult to tell generations apart of the cars made in the last 25 years, as has always been with 911s. It looks good, but its hardly a daring redesign. Oh well, at least they didn't convert it to mid engine lol.

yupididit
yupididit PowerDork
9/15/22 12:42 p.m.

In reply to Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) :

It looks even better in your pics to me. Maybe I need to see it in person to really get an idea. But, your pics made me like it even more lol.

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
9/15/22 12:50 p.m.

Now that I've had some time to process it, I guess my conclusion is that it's still a pretty good-looking car, just not as good as it's predecessor. But given my status as a true-blue Ford guy, and the fact that it's going to be the only game in town as far as V8 ponycars in a year or two, I still like it overall. I wouldn't be shocked if one shows up in my garage some day.

STM317
STM317 PowerDork
9/15/22 12:57 p.m.
RacetruckRon said:

It looks a lot like an S550 mashed up with 2006 Guigairo concept especially in the trunk "pocket" and the low sloping hood line.

Good call! One nice touch that I like about the new one is the single body line that forms the leading edge of the hood, then passes over the top of the headlight, skips the front wheel arch, and then picks back up through the fender and door. Now I see where they got that inspiration from!

The rear haunches are pretty similar too.

Error404
Error404 HalfDork
9/15/22 1:05 p.m.

It's an ICE car so I am forum-obligated to love it and have nothing bad to say about how it looks like the aftermath of a drunken tryst between a Mustang and Camaro while the Mach-eww hollered in commentary. I love the weight savings of moving climate control to a touchscreen, one more thing for a driver to stare at when they plow through those pedestrians will add much needed variety. I also love how it answers my never asked question: what would happen if you took the official clay model and just pinched the rear for grins. Now we know and it's everything that I didn't want to see. The only information missing is the all important 0-60 time, I need to know how far the pedestrians will be punted. 

300zxfreak
300zxfreak Reader
9/15/22 1:14 p.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

If it's anything like the last gen, it will look a LOT better in person than it does in photos. Did not like the last gen at all until I saw it on the road, changed my mind completely.

9/15/22 1:22 p.m.

OK, it looks better in red but still not in love with it. I do like the delicate side mirror on the close up of the rear panel and rear lights though.

STM317
STM317 PowerDork
9/15/22 1:35 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) said:

I do like the delicate side mirror on the close up of the rear panel and rear lights though.

That looks the same as the current side view mirror to me:

2021 Ford Mustang Ecoboost Review: The 6 Speed Manual Version - GTspirit

I'd be very surprised if any of the window glass, roof, etc were different between this and last year's Mustang. It seems like a heavy refresh rather than all new.

BillKeksz
BillKeksz New Reader
9/15/22 1:37 p.m.

It doesn't look like a fish anymore, so that's a plus.

It just needs to be 7/8 of what it is.

logdog (Forum Supporter)
logdog (Forum Supporter) UberDork
9/15/22 1:42 p.m.

Once again Ford has chosen to ignore the desire of the masses by making these fake "Mustangs" that lack the key feature everybody wants.  The styling cue that defines luxury and performance.... the landau roof!

Karl55
Karl55
9/15/22 1:43 p.m.

Do we get a track test with this and the electric SUV of the same name?

fatallightning
fatallightning HalfDork
9/15/22 1:50 p.m.

The styling changes kind of seem like, well, we have to change something. Not necessarily better or worse, just different. I at least applaud carrying the V8/stick package on for at least another gen as others retreat from the marketplace.

9/15/22 2:05 p.m.

In reply to STM317 :

That's hilarious I didn't realize they are the same mirror. 

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon Dork
9/15/22 2:10 p.m.
rustomatic said:

Oh, this:  "3D-printed titanium shift ball."  How could it not be "sinister?"

I missed that in the initial read but all of the pictures I can find just look like a standard Mustang shift knob.  I'm hoping they do some cool geometry that can only be made via 3D printing and it doesn't just turn out to be marketeering. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
9/15/22 2:15 p.m.

Maybe its just my mind but this scene looks like it will go XXX quickly.  Is guy #1 feeling her up?  Guy #3 gives the creepy touch?  Your guess what guy #2 is doing at that very moment.  They make quite the gang!  

Different advertising from a different time.  

albino09
albino09 New Reader
9/15/22 2:18 p.m.

All this discussion and not one mention of the ability to change the dash display to mimic a late Fox mustang cluster. This might be the best feature of the whole bunch that definitely needs replication at other OEMs.

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
9/15/22 2:29 p.m.
albino09 said:

All this discussion and not one mention of the ability to change the dash display to mimic a late Fox mustang cluster. This might be the best feature of the whole bunch that definitely needs replication at other OEMs.

I do like that particular Easter Egg. But I feel it necessary to point out that it's missing the oil pressure and voltage gauges that the Foxes had. Not sure why, it's a screen, they could put literally anything on it.

j_tso
j_tso HalfDork
9/15/22 4:26 p.m.

Have we discussed the Cars&Coffee potential of the Drift Stick™ ?

Between that and the remote rev it could be fun or a horror show.

mblommel
mblommel Dork
9/15/22 5:01 p.m.
Loweguy5 said:

No.

I owned a S550 and while it was fast and handled well, it was huge and weighed 4000 lbs.  They have gotten too big and too heavy.

Exactly. S550 onwards is 11/10th scale. No thanks.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
9/15/22 5:41 p.m.

I think I like it? Sorta? Maybe? 

So, there's things I like and things I don't like:

Like:
-More performance
-More tech
-The paint on that Dark Horse model is NICE
-You can give it "Fox Body gauges" 
-The fact that it still exists as a car that you can go and buy

Dislike:
-The interior looks kinda weird (might take some getting used to)
-HVAC is controlled by the stupid touch screen
-Pointless "drift brake" handle thing and electronic parking brakes (sure to be a hit with the cruise night crowdkillers)
-No more Ecoboost with a manual trans
-Remote revving... just WHY???
-That cringe-tastic press release

It feels more like a refresh than an all new model, because basically, that's what this is. It's kinda like how the 1979 and the 1987 GT's are part of the same generation; these should be as well. And it's got awful big shoes to fill, as the current Mustang is fantastic all-around, top to bottom. I look forward to checking one out in person. 

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
9/15/22 8:22 p.m.
z31maniac said:

As for looks, it looks like a drunken mashup of a Mustang, Camaro, and Challenger. Not sure I like it at first look. 

I saw a picture of the Mustang online today, showed my wife and said "Looks like a Charger"-she agreed. Not an insult, just an observation

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6fbiYNu53mLn0yl10mOyZCrMGCNfGfF9aOZIv0KdRTwsdZFK86BbuuATdk7YyKH9