1 2 3
bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
3/1/21 7:13 a.m.

Time for a new plan. The Tib was never meant to be my long term race car. The lack of headroom, lack of finer amenities and the older chassis just are it for me. Beside, Grid Life is real and Sundae Cup is where it's at. So Tubey is up for sale, complete with Traklites/RS-4's, spares and an LSD that needs reinstalled for Challenge money. I need y'alls help to get this thing gone. 

But the bigger issue is the complete lack of manual trans 2012-2015 Rio SX hatch on  the market. I believe we have found a total of 3, all red and spread from NJ, Michigan and Phoenix. I need y'all to keep an eye out, sub $6k, under 150k miles.

So, why the Rio? I've been driving the wifes auto SX. IT's a hoot. Even with the soul sucking trans it's never not fun. Has all the features I want (bluetooth, power windows, keyless and cruise) along with the bigger front brakes (280mm over that EX/LX and Accent 256mm) and uses the same rear pads/calipers as it's heavier NA Veloster stablemate all with a common 4x100 bolt pattern and normal honda offsets. Consumables are cheap (according to my spread sheet, tires, pads and rotors per season under $700) and initial set up under $1600 for wheels/tires, brakes, sway bar and springs. 2400lbs and 138 crank hp make it fun and still efficient. Capable of a 3 person OL team and can actually carry 4 adults.

So y'all see them for sale, post 'em up. As soon as the Tib is sold one of these will find its way to my garage

STM317
STM317 UberDork
3/1/21 7:37 a.m.

Here's one in Cleveland. It's just over budget, but being a private seller, they might be negotiable. Decently low miles too.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
3/1/21 7:42 a.m.

In reply to STM317 :

Good catch. I forgot Autotrader. 

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) PowerDork
3/1/21 8:09 a.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

Geez.....timing is everything.....I found an ad for one in Portsmouth , Ohio about 3 weeks ago for $4K with 105K on the odometer. I considered going down to get it , but it sold while I was mulling it over. It was the only one I had seen in months.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
3/1/21 8:10 a.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

Looking for:

2012-2015 Rio SX hatch

In that era the Hyundai Accent is similar. Is there an Accent that shares the same drive train? If yes, this might open more shopping options. 

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
3/1/21 8:58 a.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

Your lucky day....

Marketplace - 2013 Kia Rio 5-Door SX | Facebook

No photo description available.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
3/1/21 9:22 a.m.

In reply to DeadSkunk (Warren) :

that's the first one I found. Second one in Phoenix and one in New Jersey (and now one in Cleveland). All red. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
3/1/21 9:23 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

I got a whole spread sheet together on the Accent, Rio and NA Veloster. I like the looks of the Rio and it has the upsized front brakes over the Accent. But there are about a half dozen Accent SE in this price range. One in York PA for $2750

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
3/1/21 9:46 a.m.

This generation Rio is basically what would happen if a '90s econobox was made in the 2010s.  I approve.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
3/1/21 9:51 a.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

I told the wife I really liked the style and thought it looked aggressive in it's class. SHe looked at me like I had 12 eyes and 21 heads and said "You mean my car that is shaped like a Jelly Bean? You're weird."

So eventually when it blows up I'll do a Turbo gamma swap from a crash turbo-V and an LSD and make my own i20N but cooler and a Kia.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
3/1/21 10:47 a.m.

The look of the 2017 model sedan is starting to grow on me. I've had hatchbacks continually since my 1981 purchase of a Mazda GLC, and I'd love an Accent or Rio hatch, but the stick shifts are so scarce. The sedan is kinda sleek looking and still has the 138 HP and sub-2500 lb. weight, just lacks a  bit of convenience a hatch offers. I'm not yet ready for a hybrid/electric SUV/CUV appliance and my MINI isn't going to last another decade, so the Hyundai/Kia twins are front and center.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
3/1/21 11:04 a.m.

Right car, sorta (it's an LX)....wrong asking price......Marketplace - 2013 Kia Rio LX 5dr HB Man | Facebook

No photo description available.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
3/1/21 11:51 a.m.

In reply to DeadSkunk (Warren) :

So I'm spoiled. I want power windows, keyless entry, bluetooth etc. The LX/EX don't unless you find an even rarer "power package" EX. Also the EX/LX have the smaller 256mm brakes that the Accent has. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
3/1/21 12:01 p.m.

Also, FWIW, even with the 200lb ballast allowance, this power to weight ratio does not qualify for the Sundae Cup (although their wording of the rules is quite poor).

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
3/1/21 12:02 p.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

there's already one built ready to roll right now that I'm aware of.

May be an image of car and road

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
3/1/21 12:06 p.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

How hard is it to put the larger brakes on?  My line of thinking is, that's all consumables anyway.

Not saying they didn't do it, but I'd be shocked if the uprights were different.

280mm rotors with 4x100 has me wondering what the center bore is.  Sounds like the Corrado brake rotor upgrade for front drive VWs, except those rotors are kinda hard to come by nowadays.  Happen to have a 4x100 VW here that could use larger brakes...

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
3/1/21 12:08 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

caliper and rotors. Just like swapping to the XG brakes on the Tib, or Tib brakes on the Elantra. It's not that hard, but there's creature comforts that I want that don't come with the lesser trims. Yeah... I'm being picky but this is the next 5 year car here so I want what I want.

Interestingly enough it's the same brake pad. Just a taller caliper bracket and larger diameter rotor.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
3/1/21 12:09 p.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

Oh, believe me, I totally get wanting to get the one you want vs. settling for something else.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
3/1/21 12:13 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

I did that with the Elantra and spent 9 years trying to make it the Forte SX. Always left disappointed. I learned a ton of stuff and mixed/matched a lot of things that helps other people but that was a "settled" car.

nocones
nocones UberDork
3/1/21 12:20 p.m.

One potential benefit of the accent is more availability may result in other nutjobs joining you.  The Rio doesn't seem to of sold in quite the same numbers as the Accent.  

Otherwise I love you thinking and have been contemplating a Sunday Cup/Spec B type build. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
3/1/21 12:31 p.m.

In reply to nocones :

But it's not as cool looking and we all know that's what matters.

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo Mod Squad
3/1/21 12:45 p.m.
ProDarwin said:

Also, FWIW, even with the 200lb ballast allowance, this power to weight ratio does not qualify for the Sundae Cup (although their wording of the rules is quite poor).

I think there's probably going to in an inlet restrictor required at some point to lower the power a tad to match pwr/weight... if I had to guess (there's a restrictor outlined in the SCCA's B-spec rules)

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
3/1/21 2:57 p.m.

In reply to sleepyhead the buffalo :

I think to get to that point I'd actually have to be fast and that's not a problem.

NoBrakesRacing
NoBrakesRacing Reader
3/1/21 5:45 p.m.

I knew of two manual Rio hatch, of those years, within 300 miles of DFW, a month ago, sadly they've both sold, or can't find them. Not many available. 

Found one in Arkansas, but with rebuilt title, blue like your wife's. 

The hatch seems to have been modified...

2013 Kio Rio SX hatch, manual, rebuild title $3,900

Peabody
Peabody UltimaDork
3/1/21 5:52 p.m.

That car was available in other markets as a 2dr and it's a darn good looking car. They really dropped the ball in not selling it here, and dropped it even further not selling it with the 1.6T

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
smQprcBi0LMWkSs0GgqLYHlUUYfta2DxEms4Zrw6mo4fplWKlWguXmcTvt8RWomJ