stereoking15
stereoking15 New Reader
1/4/09 11:49 p.m.

okay, after running all last season with a set of 235/40/17 rt-615 falkens with no lsd and still sorting out suspension pieces, i am now looking for more grip as a new lsd is on the way. i plan on doing hpde, driving schools, and my normal road course, auto-cross. i have looked at replacement tires for the rt-615's as they are aging and becoming less competitive. i have looked into nitto nto1, dunlop direzza dz1, advan a048, pilot sport cups, g-force r1, kumho v710, federal rs-r, and hoosier a6/r6. looking into upsizing to 255/40/17's or going with a real wide 15 like a 275/35/15 which theoretically i would be un-beatable with my weight. just looking for some personal experience.

ww
ww Dork
1/5/09 1:17 a.m.

If you don't plan to use these for daily driving, there is absolutely no substitute for the Hoosier.

You won't even need to upsize them since their contact patch is generally 1 or even 2 sizes larger than the average tire of the same size due to their sidewall construction.

I run the Hoosier R6's exclusively on track.

Be aware, Hoosier's are extremely sticky and will take you to performance levels the Falken's reasonable 200 tread wear rating couldn't even begin to expose you too, BUT, they are a "real" race tire and will give you very little warning when you approach the limit of their adhesion.

Another warning, once you've experienced the performance envelope of these tires, you will never be able to go back to "regular" tires. I'm at a point now in my career where I can afford them with little difficulty and any track tire with a tread ware rating over 50 is a compromise I'm not willing to accept.

Good luck!

iceracer
iceracer Reader
1/5/09 11:11 a.m.

Agree !

TrentO
TrentO New Reader
1/5/09 4:35 p.m.

Slicks I'm running the Yokohama A005's They make a 255/40/17 that is pretty sweet (they list it as a 260/640/17). The grip is quite impressive. Even better than the R-rated rubber. Here's where I found the info on them.

www.bobwoodmantires.com

-Trent

z31maniac
z31maniac HalfDork
1/5/09 6:10 p.m.

Sounds like first you need to decide if you want an Extreme Performance Summer tire or R-com type stuff.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter Reader
1/5/09 7:48 p.m.

Tangental to what you're asking, if you go to the 17, 245/45R17 is a stock tire size for V8 Mustangs, so you're guaranteed to find tires in that size, and that they'll keep making tries in that size.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH SuperDork
1/5/09 9:49 p.m.
z31maniac wrote: Sounds like first you need to decide if you want an Extreme Performance Summer tire or R-com type stuff.

And if you can't decide, look at the Toyo R888:

http://www.toyo.com/docs/tires/tires.asp?lpid=30029&name=Proxes%20R888&category=sport

stereoking15
stereoking15 New Reader
1/7/09 9:36 p.m.

i have had poor experiences with toyos, being an ra1, t1r/s very poor grip and quality. i would like an all out tire for track, road course, autocross, and driving schools that wont wear like milk in a hot summer day, and will last typically a whole season worth of racing

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wHAnHSxUrJGtZhGmVZzUOtLmbmSxhKRhP2fHoXtHekNARl3WWxZHhrpw4cgUwiYe