1 2 3
Protege2886
Protege2886 None
11/12/12 2:51 p.m.

Hey everybody!

I just moved to Dearborn to work as an Engineer for one of "The Big 3". I've been in town for a few months now but I had never been to MI before this move.

I'm new to town but I'm not totally new to motorsports. I've been a member of The Motorsport Club of Ottawa for 4 years and I I've been pouring over GRM issues for a couple of years now.

Needless to say I was pretty excited when I found out there was an SCCA club near my new place! I also plan on being more active on these boards.

I'm definitely in wrench-time withdrawl, so if anyone needs an extra hand on a weekend, let me know!

Right now the plan is to fill my calendar with some karting over the winter.

Anyways, I look forward to getting to know you guys! Cheers, Jeff

conesare2seconds
conesare2seconds Reader
11/12/12 2:54 p.m.

Welcome, Jeff. You aren't weird are you? It kind of helps around here.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 PowerDork
11/12/12 2:57 p.m.

Welcome. Detroit is more than just SCCA, see The Detroit Council of Sports Car Clubs
http://dcscc.blogspot.com/

Comprised of representatives of:
Alfa Romeo Owners Club (AROC)
Corvette Club of Michigan (CCM)
Ford Motorsports Club (FMC)
Michigan Sports Car Club (MSCC)
Michigan Miata Club (MiMiata)
Michigan Mini Motoring Club (MMMC)
Detroit Region of SCCA (DRSCCA)
Detroit Council of Sports Car Clubs (DCSCC) primary objective is the promotion and sanctioning of Autocross, Solo 2 and Rallye events in southeastern Michigan.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson SuperDork
11/12/12 3:00 p.m.
JohnRW1621 wrote: Welcome. Detroit is more than just SCCA, see The Detroit Council of Sports Car Clubs http://dcscc.blogspot.com/

What John says. If you want to get a trail to pull you rull books and are willing to be at an autocross site for 12 hours and pay through the nose, go SCCA. If you want to have fun, hang with friends go Detroit Council.

Welcome to the area BTW. In Dearborn, you not with one of the big three, your with the best of the best

Michigan and SE Detroit is a great place to live. I came here for 6 months 18 years ago and I've no intention to leave. Life is great here.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk Dork
11/12/12 3:08 p.m.

If you like participating or watching road racing there's Waterford Hills not very far away. www.waterfordhills.
I'm a member of MiMiata if that's your thing and I went to school in Ottawa many,many moons ago. Go Ravens !

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer UltimaDork
11/12/12 3:16 p.m.

Welcome Jeff.

Here is the cheat sheet to GRM Forums:

E36 M3 = cuss word
berkeley = cuss word
Canoe = spam
Miata = always the answer
E30 = second best answer
Atlanta Craigslist = best place in the world
"Can We Stop Hotlinking?" = No

Welcome!

fidelity101
fidelity101 Reader
11/12/12 3:23 p.m.

Shameless plug for SCCA DET region rallycross!

next event is South Lyon, Dec 8th. Should only be a half hr drive for you, if that.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler HalfDork
11/12/12 3:30 p.m.
JohnRW1621 wrote: Welcome. Detroit is more than just SCCA, see The Detroit Council of Sports Car Clubs http://dcscc.blogspot.com/ Comprised of representatives of: Alfa Romeo Owners Club (AROC) Corvette Club of Michigan (CCM) Ford Motorsports Club (FMC) Michigan Sports Car Club (MSCC) Michigan Miata Club (MiMiata) Michigan Mini Motoring Club (MMMC) Detroit Region of SCCA (DRSCCA) Detroit Council of Sports Car Clubs (DCSCC) primary objective is the promotion and sanctioning of Autocross, Solo 2 and Rallye events in southeastern Michigan.

Point of order, FMC is no longer part of Council. It's barely a functioning club at this point, unfortunately.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi Dork
11/12/12 5:18 p.m.

Couple hours south but we are planning a get together by Lima Ohio hopefully yet this month. The more the merrier! Welcome to the boards!

alfadriver
alfadriver PowerDork
11/12/12 5:28 p.m.

Welcome to Michigan. Everyone here knows that I work for the company in residence of your new home. So....

Lots of motorsports people around here- quite a few have made the treck to Florida for the Challege, as well as going to autocrosses. Up until a year ago, I did a lot with the local Alfa club- but I have kind of stopped, so that my skin properly heals from a small scare. You can generally get a lot of runs with the council clubs, FWIW. The biggest "issue" is one of fairness- the DCSCC rules are designed to be flexible (you can run when you want, do hot laps, may not work etc- so you can do other stuff) vs fair (assigned run groups, worker groups, but you run head to head against your competition). Lots of choices that you can make.

CGLockRacer
CGLockRacer HalfDork
11/12/12 6:03 p.m.

Welcome to MI!

kazoospec
kazoospec HalfDork
11/12/12 7:51 p.m.
DukeOfUndersteer wrote: Welcome Jeff. Here is the cheat sheet to GRM Forums: E36 M3 = cuss word berkeley = cuss word Canoe = spam Miata = always the answer E30 = second best answer Atlanta Craigslist = best place in the world "Can We Stop Hotlinking?" = No Welcome!

That pretty much covers GRM. As for Michigan: Buy boots, snow tires and gallon sized buckets of POR-15. Welcome to both!

Appleseed
Appleseed PowerDork
11/13/12 4:57 a.m.

Also political threads = patio.

Patio = locked thread.

fasted58
fasted58 UberDork
11/13/12 5:01 a.m.

In reply to Protege2886:

So, you work for Toyota, huh

ZOO
ZOO SuperDork
11/13/12 5:45 a.m.

Hi Jeff!

And a note to MI-ers -- lock up your women . . .

Rob

Grtechguy
Grtechguy UltimaDork
11/13/12 5:51 a.m.

Welcome to Michigan...there's a few GRMers in this great state. Be sure to swing up to Grattan some day

Protege2886
Protege2886 New Reader
11/13/12 6:34 a.m.

Holy warm welcome Batman!

Thanks for the information about DCSCC! I'll have to check them out :)

Protege2886
Protege2886 New Reader
11/13/12 6:36 a.m.
conesare2seconds wrote: Welcome, Jeff. You aren't weird are you? It kind of helps around here.

Well I'm a mechanical engineer and a gearhead...how weird could I be?

wait...don't answer that!

Protege2886
Protege2886 New Reader
11/13/12 6:43 a.m.
alfadriver wrote: Welcome to Michigan. Everyone here knows that I work for the company in residence of your new home. So....

note to self: only reply during lunch hours and after work

Seriously though, great to know! We should grab coffee sometime.

Protege2886
Protege2886 New Reader
11/13/12 6:45 a.m.
kazoospec wrote: That pretty much covers GRM. As for Michigan: Buy boots, snow tires and gallon sized buckets of POR-15. Welcome to both!

I think you just described a Canadian welcome basket!

Protege2886
Protege2886 New Reader
11/13/12 6:46 a.m.

In reply to ZOO:

Ha! Hey Rob! Great to see you on here! If you find yourself in my neck of the woods, let me know. You and yours are more than welcome to stay the night at casa de Jeffy.

alfadriver
alfadriver PowerDork
11/13/12 6:46 a.m.

In reply to Protege2886:

LOL- plenty of time during theoretical smoke breaks.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo PowerDork
11/13/12 6:59 a.m.

Hi. I have nothing more to contribute to this thread. Oh... Hi Protege. (always nice to use names, it seems more personal.) Welcome to the circus.

Protege2886
Protege2886 New Reader
11/13/12 7:38 a.m.

Thanks

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku SuperDork
11/13/12 9:03 a.m.

Everyone has mentioned most of the clubs, so since you're in Dearborn I'll point out the Henry Ford museum and Buddy's pizza on Michigan Ave.

As for indoor karting, look up kart2kart and Race Rochester.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9MXHWIqB1Q6wu7I2NTv3Zew9jVAXKFi7U3d5CX1uObfd3swm7vuZGyrUpSAJz28p