paranoid_android74
paranoid_android74 Reader
7/9/13 6:25 p.m.

I was thinking too- if WCC can do them, why can't u of m? There is a very strong presence among students for motorsports (FSAE, formula Baja, etc.) so I bet attendance would be good. And too they regularly set up cone courses on North Campus for the FSAE team to practice. Parking is free on the weekends so there should be no permit issues.

I think the only challenge would be getting big blue to agree to it. Does your group have a legal presentation to make to help convince them it's a good idea?

alfadriver wrote: In reply to paranoid_android74: We stopped running at WCC as they just seemed to tire of us. No idea why- we ran the events on the same lot as they do the police training, and don't do any damage to the pre-painted squares. Add to that, not many current AROC organizers live out here anymore. Plust, OU is happy to host. As for the warehouse- I have done a lot of work there- I rented a work bay- did 3 challenges out of there. And started restoration work. But that got stalled, and someone else wanted the bay. I can still use the lift, but it's more a pain to get out there to work vs. staying at home. So I store one of my cars there full time, and used to store one during the winter. With the hopeful reduction of car count, I'll no longer have a car there. But it is a social thing- meet every first Saturday, spring and fall drives... Just not for me, anymore.
alfadriver
alfadriver PowerDork
7/10/13 7:27 a.m.

In reply to paranoid_android74:

We've used a UM lot a long time ago. And now with one of our key members on the UM research staff, it would not be all that hard to get.

the problem is the available lots- they are not really big enough to have a great event + parking. It worked for a school, but a real event would be a challenge. Since UM took over the old Parke Davis facility, none of us has looked at their lots as a possibility. OU is fine with the club running there, and we support their FSAE team.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler Dork
7/10/13 8:46 a.m.
alfadriver wrote: We stopped running at WCC as they just seemed to tire of us. No idea why- we ran the events on the same lot as they do the police training, and don't do any damage to the pre-painted squares. Add to that, not many current AROC organizers live out here anymore. Plust, OU is happy to host.

So it didn't have anything to do with that V8-swapped E36 that had a stuck throttle and climbed a berm after the finish?

I always liked that lot, it was closer for me than pretty much any of the others, and it had lots of good observation areas.

alfadriver
alfadriver PowerDork
7/10/13 8:59 a.m.

In reply to Tom_Spangler:

I don't think so. We used the lot a few more times after that. Scary, but nothing really got damaged.

I really liked the back lot the best- out of the way, big, good parking, etc. And super, duper close for us.

Oh, well. I've been to maybe 3 events over the past 4 years, and none last or this. So.....

paranoid_android74
7/10/13 9:08 a.m.

I might have gotten us off track here a little bit, sorry guys.

Anyone know a good meetup place at the Ann Arbor car show this Friday? I rarely go down there anyomre...

Mazda787b
Mazda787b Reader
7/10/13 9:50 a.m.

Someone needs to give my ACR a home so I can pick up this Z06. Maybe I'm getting a little soft, but not having A/C and the Konis up to 11 aren't as great when I'm using the car as a semi-DD.

Back on topic, I'd definitely attend a "west side" meet. I don't particularily like the Xceed crowd that shows up at the "Cars, Coffee and Karts" meets. Apparently, there is a CCK meet at the Fountain Walk in Novi now as well. Does anyone go to the Caffeine, Cars and Croissants in BHam? It looks a lot more laid back.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler Dork
7/10/13 10:00 a.m.
alfadriver wrote: Oh, well. I've been to maybe 3 events over the past 4 years, and none last or this. So.....

You and me both. Two autocrosses in 2011, one track day in 2012, nothing since.

paranoid_android74
7/11/13 4:54 p.m.

Ok, so Rolling Sculpture Ann Arbor tomorrow, anyone going?

I'm thinking we will be there between 2 and 5. Anyone want to meet up? Maybe at Connor O'Neils? I'm up for other spots, but I refuse to enter the Aut Bar..

CGLockRacer
CGLockRacer Dork
7/11/13 5:49 p.m.

I wont be there till 5ish. But Conner's works.

CGLockRacer
CGLockRacer Dork
7/12/13 7:22 a.m.

Morning bump! Show starts at 2 p.m. and shuts down about 10 p.m. right in down town Ann Arbor.

paranoid_android74
7/12/13 10:06 a.m.

Sounds great- we will go a little later to accommodate the 5ishness...

CGLockRacer wrote: I wont be there till 5ish. But Conner's works.
CGLockRacer
CGLockRacer Dork
7/12/13 3:52 p.m.

So I'm out front of Conners and realize I have no idea who to look for. I'm in my black GRM shirt and CG-LOCK hat if anyone checks this thread about 5 pm.

CGLockRacer
CGLockRacer Dork
7/12/13 9:40 p.m.

Great meeting you, Paranoid-Android74! Anyone else make it out?

paranoid_android74
7/12/13 9:56 p.m.
CGLockRacer wrote: Great meeting you, Paranoid-Android74! Anyone else make it out?

Likewise cglockracer! That was a well shared pint. And thanks for enduring the MG content.

If I can help let me know, and give mike hell for not taking FSAE help!

If you need any help in the future let me know, I'm in!

Mazda787b
Mazda787b Reader
7/18/13 10:08 a.m.

Is there anyone in the area with an LS-Miata? I'm currently searching for the "right" C5 Z06, but wanted to be 100% sure that's the direction I'd like to take.

If you're relatively close to the Detroit area and willing to give me a ride, that'd be even better.

Protege2886
Protege2886 Reader
7/18/13 10:18 a.m.
paranoid_android74 wrote:
CGLockRacer wrote: Great meeting you, Paranoid-Android74! Anyone else make it out?
Likewise cglockracer! That was a well shared pint. And thanks for enduring the MG content. If I can help let me know, and give mike hell for not taking FSAE help! If you need any help in the future let me know, I'm in!

Did someone say FSAE help? I'd be interested in helping out in the new school year :P

paranoid_android74
7/18/13 12:04 p.m.

In reply to Protege2886:

Yeah, I tried to volunteer time to help out the U of M FSAE team and they pretty much ignored me. I don't know if there are other programs in the area that would use a volunteer's help...

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku UberDork
7/18/13 12:15 p.m.
Mazda787b wrote: Does anyone go to the Caffeine, Cars and Croissants in BHam? It looks a lot more laid back.

haven't heard of this, details please!

Protege2886
Protege2886 Reader
7/18/13 12:53 p.m.

In reply to paranoid_android74:

That's too bad. Their loss, right?

CGLockRacer
CGLockRacer Dork
7/18/13 12:53 p.m.

3rd Saturday of the month there is a newer cars and coffee at Zingermans at Stadium and Jackson in AA

bastomatic
bastomatic SuperDork
7/18/13 8:18 p.m.
Gearheadotaku wrote:
Mazda787b wrote: Does anyone go to the Caffeine, Cars and Croissants in BHam? It looks a lot more laid back.

Looks like its at 33302 Woodward in Bham on every Saturday, 8 to 10 am. Looks like a good group from their Youface page. Can't go next two weeks, but I will make it there sometime.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku UberDork
7/18/13 9:55 p.m.

sounds good, I'll have to start making the time for it.

Mazda787b
Mazda787b Reader
7/18/13 10:10 p.m.
bastomatic wrote:
Gearheadotaku wrote:
Looks like its at 33302 Woodward in Bham on every Saturday, 8 to 10 am. Looks like a good group from their Youface page. Can't go next two weeks, but I will make it there sometime.

Thought it was only first Saturday of every month. I've stopped in twice. Lots of old-school stuff there and cool people. Auto Zone sells tons of cool stuff too.

paranoid_android74
7/19/13 8:13 a.m.

It is too bad. I was doing a bunch of electrical work in the building where the team keeps the car. Of course I got to chatting with the students- they were surprised I was interested in their project. And they were the ones that recommended I volunteer. Not to work on the car, but set up cones for their practice course and such.

So I tried to get approval from their administrators and that's where it stalled.

Oh well!

Protege2886 wrote: In reply to paranoid_android74: That's too bad. Their loss, right?
Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UberDork
8/19/13 10:32 a.m.

This seems to have become the de facto SE Mi GTG thread. So, anyone want to catch the 'other racing rival movie' of the year prior to Rush storming the cinemas.

Snake and Mongoose about drag racing in the 60’s

http://www.snakeandmongoosemovie.com/

As far as I can tell the only place it’s showing in Michigan is Downtown Birmingham, which is great for me, not so great for others of you. Current times this week are 3:45, 6:30 and 9:00pm at the Uptown Palladium 12. Times currently only go through Thursday so I don’t know how long a run it will get. It was heavily advertised over the weekend at the dream cruise.

Any one up for it Weds or Thurs for the 6:30 show?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7GDuupwaq5azMBKR1xldEVbWr79t8sKznQpzTHrWRGXdLoNIYBp6VLKWv5dQKZxK