1 2
mikedd969
mikedd969 Reader
1/11/21 8:53 a.m.

Greetings everyone!  I recently moved to the Houston area (Spring) over the holidays from Alabama....and California.....long story...  smiley  I don't know a living soul here,  it's just me, my wife (SWMBO) and our little dog Fiona.  Looking to meet some new friends and generally get a chance to hang out with people who love all things car, truck and...well pretty much anything with an engine.... as I do.  

I'm a lifelong gearhead, shade-tree mechanic and lover of almost any kind of motorsport.  I'd really like to know of any clubs, car shows, cruise nights, cars and coffee events, or whatever, or just groups of gearheads who regularly get together for wrenching and (sometimes true) story-telling.  wink  I'm not picky!1

If anyone has any tips or advice, I would greatly appreciate it.  I'm sure that once I get settled in and get my garage in order, I'll inevitably start looking for some sort of automotive project, at which point I will probably REALLY need help and advice!!  

Thanks Everyone!!

03Panther
03Panther SuperDork
1/11/21 9:01 a.m.

My only experience living in the Houston area, was down in Baytown. Was one of the worst areas I've ever had the experience on living in. I was there for 5 months. Horrible area, so I hope you made it to a better part. Other than that, I'm no help, but there is a ton of diversity, and lots of folks, so it shouldn't be hard to find some like minded!

parker
parker Reader
1/11/21 9:16 a.m.

I live a couple of hours west.  The Houston Region of the SCCA is pretty active.

New York Nick
New York Nick Reader
1/11/21 9:21 a.m.

Well I lived in the NW, near 249 and the beltway. I loved it there. I can't really advise on the best place for car shows and club activity but I can certainly give some advice on restaurants! Number 1 Lulling City Market, it's on Richmond near the 610 loop, you will never see BBQ the same way after you try it.

I loved Houston and I found so many things to like there. I hope you have a good luck there.

spacecadet (Forum Supporter)
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
1/11/21 9:30 a.m.

I know a few GRM'rs in Houston, but I'll let them speak up on their own.

I moved away from Houston 3 years ago and reside in San Antonio now.

I believe Houston Cars and Coffee got shut down again.

Houston SCCA has active autocross on a monthly basis, and the local Porsche club chapter and the BMW club chapter have teamed up lately because the site BMW club used for autocross is the city police academy, which nobody has had access to since the beginning of the pandemic.

You're near the 2 best outdoor kart tracks in the city with Houston Karting Complex in Conroe and Speedsports in New Caney.

I got to know my car friends through autocross.

Join the HouSCCA Solo group on book of faces to get the most up to date info on autocross events they are doing.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/11/21 9:32 a.m.

Houston? You need a slab.

759NRNG (Forum Partidario)
759NRNG (Forum Partidario) UltraDork
1/11/21 9:58 a.m.

Greetings from the Tomball/Decker Prairie part of the greater metro H'town area!!  Double what spacecadet  described and  hopefully  Seth aka Mazduece will make his presence know.

mikedd969
mikedd969 Reader
1/11/21 10:08 a.m.

In reply to 03Panther :

We live in Spring, which is about 30 (ish) min North of Houston proper, right along I-45.  It's a very nice area, we've been pleased so far.  Everything we need on a daily basis is hers, I doubt we will NEED" to actually go to Houston proper very often, unless we just want to.  wink

mikedd969
mikedd969 Reader
1/11/21 10:09 a.m.
New York Nick said:

Well I lived in the NW, near 249 and the beltway. I loved it there. I can't really advise on the best place for car shows and club activity but I can certainly give some advice on restaurants! Number 1 Lulling City Market, it's on Richmond near the 610 loop, you will never see BBQ the same way after you try it.

I loved Houston and I found so many things to like there. I hope you have a good luck there.

Thanks for the tip!!  I LOVE Barbecue!!  Wifey-Claus got me a Treager pellett smoker for Christmas......loving it!!!  

mikedd969
mikedd969 Reader
1/11/21 10:11 a.m.
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) said:

I know a few GRM'rs in Houston, but I'll let them speak up on their own.

I moved away from Houston 3 years ago and reside in San Antonio now.

I believe Houston Cars and Coffee got shut down again.

Houston SCCA has active autocross on a monthly basis, and the local Porsche club chapter and the BMW club chapter have teamed up lately because the site BMW club used for autocross is the city police academy, which nobody has had access to since the beginning of the pandemic.

You're near the 2 best outdoor kart tracks in the city with Houston Karting Complex in Conroe and Speedsports in New Caney.

I got to know my car friends through autocross.

Join the HouSCCA Solo group on book of faces to get the most up to date info on autocross events they are doing.

Thanks!!  Conroe is only a 15 min drive for me.  I'll have to check out the kart track there!  I need to hone my 4-wleel track skills....  Almost all my track time has been o 2 wheels.  smiley

mikedd969
mikedd969 Reader
1/11/21 10:13 a.m.
759NRNG (Forum Partidario) said:

Greetings from the Tomball/Decker Prairie part of the greater metro H'town area!!  Double what spacecadet  described and  hopefully  Seth aka Mazduece will make his presence know.

I had totally forgotten that Seth lived in this neck of the woods!!  Now I can hero-worship from a closer distance!!  wink

1/11/21 10:23 a.m.

In reply to mikedd969 :

Seth has been two wheeling on the kart track (speedsportz racing)off SH242 @ IH69  FYI

mikedd969
mikedd969 Reader
1/11/21 10:26 a.m.
Appleseed said:

Houston? You need a slab.

Other than the wheels....I would totally rock that ride!!  I love me a big old boat!!  I think I'd go with a early 70's Lincoln though........or a big-old wagon of any make!! 

When I was stationed at the Great Lakes Naval Training Station north of Chicago in 86-87 there was this early 70's Town Car I used to see all the time that was the ultimate "Pimp-mobile".  It was White, with a blue vinyl top, Curb-Feelers, no less than 3 "boomerang" TV antennas on the trunk, 3 power radio antennas in the rear fenders, chain steering wheel, fur dashboard, Leopard-Print seats, and 2 sets of wire-spoke wheels (2 on each side so you can;t tell that all 4 don't match) and, the crowning glory, a genuine "J.C. Whitley-sourced" Swan hood ornament, with blue, light-up plexiglass wings......  It became a life-goal to have a ride like that someday.....  Just for the amusement factor......  laugh

mikedd969
mikedd969 Reader
1/11/21 10:29 a.m.

In reply to 759NRNG (Forum Partidario) :

Hmmm.... I am without 2-wheeled transport at the moment.....  Perhaps I can just take 2 wheels off of my Honda Fit and ride that around.....  Lighter and probably better handling than most Harleys....and more reliable...  cheeky   All in good fun Harley Guys.....don't put out a hit on me or anything.....I'm only teasing....wink

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
1/11/21 12:25 p.m.

If you can find some leathers I can get you on a tiny track bike. Or get you autocrossing. Or, lots of stuff really. I'm not much into the car meet scene, but I know there is a lot of that around. 

I'm just north of Kingwood, very close to Speedsportz kart track which is where I do most of my bike stuff if you want to find that on a map. I help friends kart race but don't do it myself yet. Lots of drifters around too. And there is probably still drag racing out in Baytown though I haven't been there is a looooong time. 

I will warn you, there isn't an off season. We do car/bike stuff all year. It's exhausting. Good problem to have. 

1/11/21 2:11 p.m.

Next month (Feb19-21) at the montgomery county fairgrounds (Conroe)  will take place the Hot Rods of Texas Winter Swapmeet (www.hotrodsoftexas.com). Weather  permitting, I'll be attending with a good friend on Saturday....met Seth for the first time there.

mikedd969
mikedd969 Reader
1/11/21 3:44 p.m.
759NRNG (Forum Partidario) said:

Next month (Feb19-21) at the montgomery county fairgrounds (Conroe)  will take place the Hot Rods of Texas Winter Swapmeet (www.hotrodsoftexas.com). Weather  permitting, I'll be attending with a good friend on Saturday....met Seth for the first time there.

Awesome!!  I'll be there!!  As long as nothing slips or breaks, as my grandfather used to say..... 

mikedd969
mikedd969 Reader
1/11/21 3:51 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

If you can find some leathers I can get you on a tiny track bike. Or get you autocrossing. Or, lots of stuff really. I'm not much into the car meet scene, but I know there is a lot of that around. 

I'm just north of Kingwood, very close to Speedsportz kart track which is where I do most of my bike stuff if you want to find that on a map. I help friends kart race but don't do it myself yet. Lots of drifters around too. And there is probably still drag racing out in Baytown though I haven't been there is a looooong time. 

I will warn you, there isn't an off season. We do car/bike stuff all year. It's exhausting. Good problem to have. 

Man, even if I still had my old Vanson Leathers, there is just no way I could squeeze myself into them today!!  I bought those things off of the "blemished/Clearance rack at the Vanson Headquarters store in Fall River, MA way back in 1995...  wink  Got my $$ worth out of them for sure!!  

Thinkkker
Thinkkker UltraDork
1/11/21 3:54 p.m.

Im out in Cypress, towards Katy.  Used to live in Spring towards Tomball side.  Lots of options around. 

What side of town are you on?

03Panther
03Panther SuperDork
1/11/21 4:05 p.m.

In reply to mikedd969 :

I've passed through N side a few times. Seemed nice. Did a few things in parts of Houston proper, and enjoyed single trips.

03Panther
03Panther SuperDork
1/11/21 4:11 p.m.
mikedd969 said:

In reply to 759NRNG (Forum Partidario) :

Hmmm.... I am without 2-wheeled transport at the moment.....  Perhaps I can just take 2 wheels off of my Honda Fit and ride that around.....  Lighter and probably better handling than most Harleys....and more reliable...  cheeky   All in good fun Harley Guys.....don't put out a hit on me or anything.....I'm only teasing....wink

Being I'm an ol' scooter tramp, I never understood guys that got offended by the truth!  I rode 'em days I liked 'em. Never did pretend they were the best thing since sliced bread. Besides, I'm a bigger fan of Beemer's nowadays. When HD became dependable enough for the "rubs" to be riders, I can't afford the lifestyle smoke anymore. 

mikedd969
mikedd969 Reader
1/19/21 12:31 p.m.

In reply to 03Panther :

Agree.  I just don;;t understand the whole HD culture.  I can;t wrap my head around bolting extra stuff to a motorcycle, adding weight, but not adding any performance advantage.  There seems to be a strong "man jewlery" factor at play, at least that is my best guess.  For me, in a motorcycle, everything comes second to performance, and the lighter the better.  I also just can;t be comfortable with that streched out, feet forward riding position.  I can do it, but I never feel as in control as I do on, say, a Ducati Monster or a Kawasaki Ninja 650.  I maintain that sportbikes, despite their "boy racer" reputation are inherently safer than any other type of road bike, simply because the performance envelope is so much greater.  They can turn more quickly, stop shorter and accelerate more quickly than a big heavy cruiser, in my mind, that makes them safer when ridden with skill and common sense.

mikedd969
mikedd969 Reader
1/19/21 12:33 p.m.

In reply to Thinkkker :

Panther Creek area.  Right off of the Woodlands Parkway.

yupididit
yupididit PowerDork
1/21/21 8:30 p.m.

I'm in San Antonio. Rarely do I venture to Houston but when I do, I get road range. Before Texas I lived in S. California and DC area before that. 

There's a good amount of members in Texas. We should have a Texas GRM meet oneday. 

What kind of project are you looking for? I'm really good at finding stuff. Luckily I sold my trailer.

chaparral
chaparral Dork
1/21/21 9:03 p.m.

You'll want to spend some time at Speedsportz. 2 wheels or 4, it'll be fun. 

CRG NordAm is in Conroe; they're the US importer. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mRv4T9wkb3exjt4ntHHfedT70qudYhslxQEIVBxytbmXhkIN32c3ClcLxW61SyLj