In reply to t25torx :

Cooler is a cooler. Will work well.

frenchyd
frenchyd SuperDork
6/23/18 11:15 a.m.
java230 said:

In reply to t25torx :

Cooler is a cooler. Will work well.

Yes it will help keep fluid cool, maybe that’s all you need worry about if you are far enough south so cold weather doesn’t hurt the transmission.  

However it depends on how the fluid is routed and where you are driving. 

Too cold can be as bad as too hot.  Around here the truck often sits outside in 20-30 below weather. Guy jumps in fires up the truck and slams it in gear late for work.  Shifts from reverse to forward backing out and floors it. 

That’s the guy who complains about the transmission not lasting

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
6/23/18 6:53 p.m.

However it depends on how the fluid is routed and where you are driving. 

General procedure when adding an external cooler to a system that already has a cooler in the radiator is you route fluid through the external cooler first, then internal cooler, then back to the trans. That way you shed your 'excess' heat to atmosphere first rather than coolant, and if its super cold outside the internal cooler will actually heat the fluid back up near whatever coolant temp is.  With that routing you shouldn't have trans temp much over OR under coolant temp. 

frenchyd
frenchyd SuperDork
6/23/18 7:28 p.m.

In reply to Vigo : You are spot on the money there. I just wish everybody understood that, I would guess more than 50% have it wrong if they have a non stock cooler  

rslifkin
rslifkin UltraDork
6/23/18 7:53 p.m.

The better option is to run an inline thermostat in the cooler lines.  My setup on the Jeep is just trans -> thermostat -> giant cooler -> thermostat -> trans.  Almost all of the fluid bypasses the cooler until it hits 160, then it starts to flow through the cooler.  Trans stays right in the 160 - 170 range.  Rad cooler is totally out of the loop and the cooler itself is big enough that without the thermostat, the trans would hardly break 100* on a cold winter day. 

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
6/23/18 9:54 p.m.

Basic cooler 'kits' don't have thermostats and fancy ones do. I'm all for it but i wouldn't run a thermostat without a gauge just in case the thermostat failed closed one day. Sounds like you have one yes

rslifkin
rslifkin UltraDork
6/24/18 8:30 a.m.

In reply to Vigo :

Yup, I've got a gauge on it.  IMO, that's a requirement for a tow rig anyway.  And I'm running a decent thermostat (from Improved Racing in this case) and not one of the super cheap trans cooler thermostats (which are all 180*, so hotter than most transmissions need to stay to be happy). 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6SGfZ4rzNtTM7gmTFKOHDFHTFOX4uHpni10a48s4ok6ncFxMYCz1zr8ce3Ozc0pG