1 2
Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
7/11/19 8:13 a.m.

Hey GRM brothers and sisters,

We have decided that getting out of the lease on our 17 Toyota 4Runner is something we wat to do. Actually I'd love to keep it as I ove it, but having two car payments isn't something I want to do. I've contacted Vroom about buying out the lease,a nd the made an offer that is within $200 of the buyout of the lease, so I think we might go with that. However we will have to buy something to replace it. My wife can drive my 06 Sienna(was hers for 10 years) until we find something, but  I would rather do it sooner than later as I will be either driving my Delica, REPU, or RX-7, all of which either don't have A/C, or have it but it doesn't work. It isn't terribly hot yet here in New England, but I'm fat, and a bit of a diva when it comes to being cool.

In thinking about what we want to get to replace the 4Runner which made sense when we got it, but not so much anymore we have test driven a ton of CUV's. In that research we have figured out we really like the Mazda CX-5 a lot, and especially the newer body style, but the first body style isn't anything to turn your nose up at. We also liked the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV, but they are pricey. We could get a used 16-17 V6 Outlander GT in our price range. We liked the few Toyota Rav-4's we drove, but something about the odd dash layout on the passenger side kinda turned me off. I'm a pretty loyal Toyota guy though,so I won't discount the Rav. We also liked the Hyundai Santa Fe, and Santa Fe Sport we drove. We haven't driven the slightly smaller CUV's like the CX-3, Tuscon, etc, but I think she really wants the slightly larger size for long trips. I personally love the look of the CX-3 more than the CX-5, but I always liked smaller cars more. 

Her only request is that whatever car we get has heated seats. Not a terrible request. I'd like said vehicle to have Nav, or apple car play so that she can have nav to get around, but truthfully using just her phone would work just fine too, but having it on the dash in a larger format seems better to me. I'm looking to stay around $22k or less financed on whatever we get, and not have crazy mileage. I'd prefer some sort of CPO car with a warranty that is longer than 3 months or whatever you get on most used cars. It seems she's mostly been on the CUV/cute ute path, but I mentioned a leftover 18 Buick Regal TourX that was recommended to me as they have stupid rebates on these being as it's mid 19, and these few cars are still around. She said we should check it out after looking at pictures online. We haven't looked at the Buick yet, and I must admit I wouldn't normally think about a Buick, but it checks a lot of the right boxes, but it's also bigger than the 4Runner on length, and wheelbase which is one of the complaint my wife has with the 4Runner(it's too big she says). We'd also like better fuel economy than the 4Runner which shouldn't be too tough to do. 

So smaller than a 4Runner, Fairly newish, not older than maybe 5 years old,preferably awd, heated seats, under $24k CPO type car/ute/cute ute in a color that isn't grey, or silver. Must be reliable!! Oh yeah I hate CVT's, so I prefer a regular auto trans. I prefer Asian cars, but will listen any suggestions. What am I missing?

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
7/11/19 8:21 a.m.

Interesting you mention CX-5, that's exactly what I was going to recommend. 

I had one as a loaner last week for a few days (took my car back to the dealer for them to tint the windows on the used Mazda 3 I had purchased the week before). 

'18 Touring trim, just like my 3 leather, heated seats. Nav is optional at that level, as well as the Bose stereo and sunroof. It got good gas mileage, plenty of room for the size, even my girlfriend liked it when she took it to the store. To give you an idea, she thinks her Honda Fit is big and misses her Smart Car. Drove well, comfy, quiet, even the stock stereo is pretty good. 

My only knock would be is that the 2.5 in the CX-5 doesn't feel as peppy as it does in my 3. 

STM317
STM317 UltraDork
7/11/19 8:21 a.m.

Rav4 Hybrid?

This one is boring silver and doesn't specifically list heated seats, but it's near budget, Asian, AWD, and smaller than a 4 Runner. That was the first link I saw too. Could probably find more with more than 30 seconds of searching. I've seen them in less boring colors.

I'm pretty sure it's going to have a CVT, but it's probably the super reliable Prius style CVT with electric motors and not the more common bands/cones type of CVT that has a less than stellar reputation.

EDIT: Autotrader shows over 280 Rav4 Hybrids with AWD under $23k in the US right now so you've got some options.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
7/11/19 9:13 a.m.
Fueled by Caffeine
7/11/19 9:24 a.m.
Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
7/11/19 9:29 a.m.
Fueled by Caffeine said:

also.. I made a search for you!

https://www.cars.com/for-sale/searchresults.action/?cpoId=28444&dealerType=all&drvTrnId=27102&normFeatureId=20004429&page=1&perPage=20&prMx=25000&rd=50&searchSource=GN_REFINEMENT&sort=relevance&zc=02330

Thanks, I've been doing the same thing on Autotrader, Car Gurus, etc. It gets crazy though what with not knowing what is reliable these days. I typically have a no VW rule, but my friends Jetta TDi sportwagon is pretty sweet, and he got a great deal on the buyback/resell program.I just get overloaded with so many options.

Fueled by Caffeine
7/11/19 9:34 a.m.

In reply to Mazdax605 :

With most of the foreign makes its tough to find a "Bad" car these days.   I'd say a 2006 toyota will be hard to beat.  I had a 2004 sienna and it was a tank, but slowly falling apart.  It ran to ~196K..  I'm unsure a new toyota would do as such. I have a 2013 sienna and we will see with this one....  So far it's needed a wheel bearing and lives in minnesota... so there is ferrous oxide risk everywhere.

I'd go look at an Acura.  It's a tarted up CRV/Pilot mashup.  Super reliable and very cushy for the better half.  https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/773241153/overview/

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
7/11/19 9:56 a.m.

Left field suggestion.. 

Prius V, the larger, wagon Prius. 

Wxdude10 - Mike
Wxdude10 - Mike Reader
7/11/19 10:02 a.m.

I purchased a 2015 Toyota Venza XLE w/Premium Package last December for ~19.5K.  48K miles, CPO.  Has heated leather seats, dual moonroofs, NAV, 4-cyl and AWD.  Probably around the same length as the 4 Runner.  Essentially it is an AWD Camry wagon.  Very comfortable, especially for big guys (6'2", was 255lbs at the time).  I like that it was a little taller than my old 07 Mazda 6, but shorter than the CRV/RAV4/CX-5 and up part of the market... 

There are still CPO Venzas out there, plus non-CPO with even lower mileage.  If you get the V6, then you have essentially the same driveline as the Sienna.  I love it.  Just did a quick trip from Chelmsford, MA to Woodbury, NJ and back yesterday, and I felt great. 

Couple of low mileage CPO examples within 250 miles of Chelmsford:

2015 Venza XLE w/NAV 25K miles

2015 Venza XLE Premium 35Kmiles

FYI:

https://www.toyota.com/owners/my-vehicle/vehicle-specification

If you have a VIN for a car you're interested in, you can look up what was built & optioned on the car from the factory.  Helps you to figure out what a dealer is really selling.

CJ
CJ Reader
7/11/19 10:15 a.m.

It isn't terribly hard to find a Volvo XC60 that is within your price range.  Just was looking at a 2010 with 28K miles for under $14K.  Of course, it was red metallic, not silver.

We have a 2012 that just turned 100K miles and has been trouble free.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
7/11/19 10:23 a.m.
CJ said:

It isn't terribly hard to find a Volvo XC60 that is within your price range.  Just was looking at a 2010 with 28K miles for under $14K.  Of course, it was red metallic, not silver.

We have a 2012 that just turned 100K miles and has been trouble free.

We don't want silver, anything but silver/grey is what we want.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
7/11/19 10:47 a.m.

You already know what I'm gonna say...

CX-5.

We've had our '18 Touring just over a year. It's needed nothing except oil changes. Still feels new, even with almost 25k on it. It's comfortable, good on gas, and the transmission is one of the best automatics I've had the pleasure of driving with. Yes, it can be kinda pokey sometimes, but this is usually remedied by flick of the Sport switch. Nav is available as an add-on (it's a $95 SD card you pop into a port in the console), but it's crappy to be honest. Android Auto/Apple Car Play is available at the dealer with a kit, and you can DIY it (although it's pretty involved) with a kit from Ebay.

Out of all the CUV's in its price range, I feel it's the best in terms of value, dependability, and fun factor. Yes, it's actually FUN to drive!

spacecadet
spacecadet Dork
7/11/19 11:40 a.m.

2016 and Newer CX-5 should be eligible for an upgrade to the MX Connect system that allows it to run Android auto. You'll also need to upgrade the USB ports to run more current. 

Any 2016 or 2016.5 GT model CX-5 will have leather heated seats. 

spacecadet
spacecadet Dork
7/11/19 11:42 a.m.

Something like these is probably going to be your best bang for the buck 

https://www.carmax.com/car/17546091

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
7/11/19 4:21 p.m.
spacecadet said:

Those both appear to be fwd. I wouldn't mind it but she seems to want awd. 

spacecadet
spacecadet Dork
7/11/19 4:42 p.m.
Mazdax605 said:
spacecadet said:

Those both appear to be fwd. I wouldn't mind it but she seems to want awd. 

I'm in TX so none of the AWD ones end up here. But the trim levels are exactly what you want to look for. 

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
7/11/19 5:26 p.m.

Her car, her choice.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
7/11/19 7:10 p.m.
iceracer said:

Her car, her choice.

Yeah, that's sorta why we're here. I sorta picked the 4Runner, but gave it to her as she had been driving the Sienna for 10 years. We needed a truck to tow the camper and my Suburban was just killing me. Should've paid someone to fix the issues with it and got her the car she wanted. 

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle SuperDork
7/11/19 7:39 p.m.

We just got a 2016 Outback Limited. Love it. Good size, not huge. Comfortable. In your budget even with low miles. Try one. Turning radius was a big surprise. 

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
7/11/19 7:40 p.m.
OHSCrifle said:

We just got a 2016 Outback Limited. Love it. Good size, not huge. Comfortable. I’m your budget even with low miles. Try one. Turning radius was a big surprise. 

CVT though, correct? 

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle SuperDork
7/11/19 7:45 p.m.

In reply to Mazdax605 :

Yes it is. I’ve had three CVTs already and they don’t bug me at all at this point. Great fuel economy also. 

Edit: I didn't see your CVT preference. Sorry about that.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
7/11/19 8:06 p.m.
OHSCrifle said:

In reply to Mazdax605 :

Yes it is. I’ve had three CVTs already and they don’t bug me at all at this point. Great fuel economy also. 

Edit: I didn't see your CVT preference. Sorry about that.

No worries. They're probably fine now, but I just don't like or trust them. 

Justjim75
Justjim75 HalfDork
7/12/19 2:15 a.m.

CVTs creep me out.

Mike
Mike SuperDork
7/12/19 7:30 a.m.
yupididit
yupididit UltraDork
7/12/19 7:33 p.m.

CPO Mercedes GLC?

1 2