irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
7/11/19 6:22 p.m.

Normally I wouldn't cross-post about a different magazine here, but since Smithsonian is not exactly competition for GRM, figured what the hell. Anyhow, my neighbor brought it over since he knows I race cars and it's a very well-written (relatively short) story about Mickey Thompson (and his son's) speed record attempts. Can't say I really knew much about the man since he was somewhat "before my time," but it was pretty interesting. Not sure if it's online or not, but if anyone wants it I can take photos of the pages and upload or whatever.

noddaz
noddaz SuperDork
7/12/19 8:43 a.m.

Thanks...  I may go looking for that at the library just to read it.

Next month in Smithsonian Magazine:

Smithsonian LS swaps EVERYTHING!

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
7/12/19 8:51 a.m.

i would definitely visit the LSmithsonian museum

GCrites80s
GCrites80s Reader
7/12/19 10:50 a.m.
noddaz said:

Thanks...  I may go looking for that at the library just to read it.

Next month in Smithsonian Magazine:

Smithsonian LS swaps EVERYTHING!

1200+ HP TURBO INSTALL RUNS 8s! TERRORIZES NATIONAL MALL

spacecadet
spacecadet Dork
7/12/19 11:08 a.m.
AngryCorvair said:

i would definitely visit the LSmithsonian museum

This is the content I'm here for.. 

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
7/12/19 11:24 a.m.

The Smithsonian Magazine did a nice job on that.   They dig into a lot of background and unknown facts.

Now they have one on the Moon Landing.

chandler
chandler PowerDork
7/12/19 4:56 p.m.

I own a copy of his first autobiography, it is really interesting and while he is self deprecating his drive really shows through! He was a fascinating American and deserves all the attention his story can get.

Toebra
Toebra Dork
7/12/19 5:25 p.m.

Smithsonian MT Article

Link to video of the run in article, sideways at 400 MPH

Seems like Danny Thompson would never fit in that narrow cockpit, what with those giant brass balls he is toting around.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
7/12/19 5:39 p.m.
chandler said:

I own a copy of his first autobiography, it is really interesting and while he is self deprecating his drive really shows through! He was a fascinating American and deserves all the attention his story can get.

When I was in school there was a Mickey Thompson book that was published around 1962 in the library.  I must have read that thing a dozen times.  smiley  That was at the end of his Pontiac period; my dad had a '61 Catalina at the time, and even though it was just a base model (instead of the souped up version M/T used to set a boatload of records) it helped imprint me on vintage Pontiacs and that lasts to this day.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4iaRcm7CmsDzm7BKZpXolRD8fbVuslKqz8hIAJjP7SwPpxyvc3XgvMRwwM3gJ0PQ