Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
8/29/22 12:23 a.m.

Night event in Jacksonville on September 17. I'd like to add some illumination, but do it cheaply as it's just a once a year requirement. I'm driving my 08 civic.

I could mount lights to an aluminum square tube and suction cup it to the hood or roof. It's got a sunroof so I could mount a switch or relay on the tube with the lights and reach it on the roof, or the starter could turn it on for me if mounted on the hood. 

Wiring and switch/relay suggestions also welcome. 

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
8/29/22 12:29 a.m.

Last year I ran with just the headlights and an LED shop lights zip tied on the lower grill. As you can (not) see, I needed better illumination. 
In case you're wondering, we did do three runs before it got dark. I at least had an idea where I was going.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
8/29/22 3:44 a.m.

Define cheaply...

Amazon truck light bar.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
8/29/22 9:17 a.m.

Offroad LED bars/cubes were my first thought. If it's a once-a-year temporary thing, maybe just run alligator clips to the battery terminals with an inline heavy-duty switch and fuse.

AMiataCalledSteve
AMiataCalledSteve Reader
8/29/22 9:25 a.m.

You can find magnetic mounts for most off-the-shelf light bars as well, they work well and are very easy to reposition

stafford1500
stafford1500 Dork
8/29/22 11:19 a.m.

Make sure to aim the auxiliary lights significantly into the corners. Maybe even aim the left side to the right corner and vice-versa. Let the headlights light up the straight sections.

I would try to mount any extra lights out front on the bumper. Lights above the windshield can increase glare for the driver.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
C64cQjmjxi57UzF35RMLvIf6B4lA4zxd9JYfv9PLoCP9owmv9bus65NbSbATpCL7