vwcorvette
vwcorvette UltraDork
5/20/19 8:32 p.m.

crying

Floating Doc
Floating Doc Dork
5/20/19 8:34 p.m.

In reply to spitfirebill :

My wife and I just watched Rush a few weeks ago.

I'm sorry for his passing. 

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
5/20/19 8:37 p.m.
Floating Doc said:

In reply to spitfirebill :

My wife and I just watched Rush a few weeks ago.

I'm sorry for his passing. 

He was my favorite driver during that time.  When he retired I pretty much lost interest in Formula 1. 

Slippery
Slippery SuperDork
5/20/19 8:39 p.m.

I had no idea he wasnt doing good. I know he has been through a lot but he was quite young. 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/20/19 9:06 p.m.

Sad news, and topic fixed. 

spacecadet
spacecadet HalfDork
5/20/19 9:17 p.m.

So sad, what a legend behind the wheel and as a technical mind. The sport is so much lesser without him. 

ShawnG
ShawnG PowerDork
5/20/19 9:20 p.m.

Aw hell..

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler PowerDork
5/20/19 9:31 p.m.

A true legend of the sport, and a shining example of toughness and determination.

Ransom
Ransom PowerDork
5/20/19 9:57 p.m.

He was my first racing hero. When I was a kid my uncle brought me a poster of Lauda in a Ferrari F1 car. It was formative.

Tom1200
Tom1200 Dork
5/20/19 10:15 p.m.

Lauda was the reason I started following F1. I was reading Road & Track and was just awe struck at his tenacity in overcoming what for many people would be career ending injuries. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/20/19 11:49 p.m.

One of the toughest men behind the wheel.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
5/21/19 4:55 a.m.
Tom1200 said:

Lauda was the reason I started following F1. I was reading Road & Track and was just awe struck at his tenacity in overcoming what for many people would be career ending injuries. 

Not only severe injuries, but he got back in his race car a few weeks after the accident.  

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
5/21/19 6:31 a.m.
spitfirebill said:
Tom1200 said:

Not only severe injuries, but he got back in his race car a few weeks after the accident.  

Way worse - he was given last rights.  Most people would have died.  And then to come back and race, and STILL compete for the WC.  Amazing.

84FSP
84FSP SuperDork
5/21/19 6:37 a.m.

I have to be happy for a guy that was so dedicated to the sport that he managed to work in F1 at the highest levels right up to his death.  This is a man whose passion nearly killed him and he kept at it anyway.  Well done sir.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve MegaDork
5/21/19 6:37 a.m.

He was truly one of the greatest of all time.  

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
5/21/19 7:07 a.m.

Tough SOB right there.

My neighbor was badly burned while working with a crew cutting pipes laid on the ground.  His torch cut into one filled with rocket fuel.   From that I learned some of the things burn victims tolerate, more susceptible to cancer; loss of skin  etc., you can't modulate your body temperature and more.  And people stare.

RIP, you've earned it....

Duke
Duke MegaDork
5/21/19 8:51 a.m.

He was always one of my favorite drivers.  What a human being.  I pretty much lost interest in F1 about the time he retired from driving for good.

stroker
stroker UltraDork
5/21/19 8:59 a.m.

I will never, ever forgive Sports Illustrated for not giving Lauda the "Sportsman of the Year" after coming back from that accident to finish the season.  They gave it to Tracy Austin (the tennis player) instead.  

parker
parker Reader
5/21/19 10:03 a.m.

What a man.  RIP

Kreb
Kreb UberDork
5/21/19 10:24 a.m.

Pure badass individual. RIP Mr Lauda.

ZOO
ZOO UltraDork
5/21/19 12:49 p.m.

I was a Lauda fan during the Prost/Lauda years . . .

06HHR
06HHR Dork
5/21/19 4:35 p.m.

“A lot of people criticise Formula 1 as an unnecessary risk. But what would life be like if we only did what is necessary?”

The man was a living legend.  RIP

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KnvgiU9amRhmGIO4fHHy08Fr4L2Lje0qsfzsPzrhUALVxjRJr21zZmYjJgL1JggU