pirate
pirate New Reader
10/27/11 8:50 p.m.

Of the many threads on various two seat roadsters or hard tops I don't recall anything being written about the Nissan 350/370's. Whats the overall opinions of these cars. I only recall seeing one at a local autocross, there must be a reason. They seem to be a good value dollar wise for fairly late model cars. How do they perform, handle, build quality, etc.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim SuperDork
10/27/11 8:54 p.m.

Couple of random links I just found:

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/new-cars/2008-nissan-nismo-350z/

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/articles/z-vs-z/

carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
10/27/11 9:12 p.m.

I have had a pair of 350Zs (1 base and 1 track model) and they really sucked when compared to my S2000.

At an autocross we couldn't get the Z even in the same league as the S. Running with yaw control gave us the best times.

The big issue, other than weight and wheel base, was the fact that the steering didn't accept quick inputs. Such as what you need for a tight slaloom. The power steering would just crap out in the middle of the turn and suddenly you had to simply manhandle it the rest of the way and then try to get it to go the other direction. That wasn't just an issue on the 2 I had, but I found out that was an issue iwth others as well.

When they shortened the wheelbase of the 370 I'd presume that took care of a lot of the issues, but the only one I've driven was on the streets.

Portly is the only word to describe the Z. Very uncomfortable on long trips as well. The seat control was on the top of the seat to the right and in long trips it would leave a bruise on your leg and was absolutely agonizing.

GPS was CD based and was problematic when you crossed over borders. Also very costly to upgrade.

Now if you are looking for a highway cruiser and you can find a way to fix the seat and you use your iPhone instead of the GPS then you'll probably be happy. But if all you want is a cruiser then get something a little larger and with a back seat so that you can put the groceries in it. The back of the Z isn't made for hauling anything of any size. The strut bar severely limits what you can put in it.

z31maniac
z31maniac SuperDork
10/27/11 9:54 p.m.

I traded my '06 last year after three months for a MazdaSpeed 3. It was just as quick (below 90ish) and had useful storage space.

I didn't have the same complaints about the seat, but I'm short. Definitely will eat up the miles comfortably, quickly and while returning decent mpg to boot. I regularly saw 28 at 75-80.

I haven't driven a 370Z yet, but there isn't the strut bar in back killing the hatch space, added HP, lightened it and shortened it. But I think if I was spending $30k on newer sporty car, I'd just get a Mustang GT and call it a day.

I'm sincerely hoping they make a 400Z with a 4.0L V8, or maybe a 380Z with a turbo or two? Then I'd likely get back into one.

As you can tell by my screen name, I've always had a love affair with the Z cars.

Started with my dad racing a '67 Fairlady in the SCCA back when I was young (late 80s)

Maroon92
Maroon92 SuperDork
10/27/11 9:58 p.m.

The 350 isn't even in the same league as the 370. A MUCH improved car.

carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
10/27/11 10:04 p.m.
Maroon92 wrote: The 350 isn't even in the same league as the 370. A MUCH improved car.

I would expect the shorter wheelbase to really wake up the car, but the only thing I find suspect in your statement is if it's such a much greater car then why hasn't everyone been lauding it and talking it up on the forums? You'd think it would be the dream car of lots of little boys, but it doesn't appear to be. So what's missing in the new combination?

I see the 370 occassionally, but nowhere nearly as much as the 350.

I like the potential in the engine as opposed to say the S2000.

BTW GO RANGERS!!!!

irish44j
irish44j Dork
10/27/11 10:27 p.m.

Like most Nissans, the drivetrain is great.

Like most Nissans, the attention to design detail in the rest of the car (particularly interior) is not so great.

Like all Nissans these days, it's overweight and certain aspects of the styling make me say "what the berkeley did they do that for?"

Like all Nissans, the reliability and build quality is middle-of-the road. Not awesome. Not terrible. Just "fine"

I drove the 370 and it was reasonably fun to drive, but I'd never buy one - and I'm a former Nissan fanboi.....if that tells you anything.

Joshua
Joshua HalfDork
10/28/11 1:31 a.m.
carguy123 wrote: BTW GO RANGERS!!!!

Haha!

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
10/28/11 2:00 a.m.

The 350/370 look like they should be good, but just don't seem to live up to any of the competition. For the same price (at any price point) you can get a Corvette, RX8, Mustang, S2000, or Miata depending on what exactly you're looking for. Whatever it is you're looking at the 350Z for, there is another car that does it better for the same price.

scardeal
scardeal HalfDork
10/28/11 8:28 a.m.

I have to disagree with what a lot of people are saying here. I guess I might be biased. I love mine.

On the street, I didn't feel like the stock suspension is punishing. I've made several 12-18-hour trips in mine. It has enough room for 2 plus their luggage for a week (well, for my wife and I anyway). I moved about a dorm's room worth of stuff from NOLA to Michigan with a passenger, including a Power Mac G5 (large tower), xbox 360, steering wheel and pedals, and a whole bunch of clothes.

In autocrossing Stock or STR, I suppose they're right. However, there is light:

Assuming that the SP changes go through (split off the boost buggies from N/A RWD guys), they should be pretty competitive in the new BSP, particularly if you get an 07 or 08. Their weight and HP are similar to a C4 Vette, if not better, they're narrower and can fit huge tires. I've heard of someone fitting 305s in the front under stock fenders, and there's more room in the back wheel wells.

w_miata_a
w_miata_a New Reader
10/28/11 8:29 a.m.

I have an 07 350z and I love it. Suspension is responsive, and the engine not only sounds great it pulls hard. Yes the car is a bit....chunky. I would have never gotten a 350z for autocross, it is clearly built more for track days and high speed driving (15mph feels just as comfy as 70+).

I disagree with a previous post, the car is very comfortable for long drives. My biggest complaint is any sort of traffic. This car does not like to stop and go...it only likes to go.

If I was going to autocross I would get a miata (my second - fun car). I guess a corvette/mustang would be ok but I would stay away from an RX8 or S2000. Frankly they are expensive for what they are and you can get better vehicles for cheaper.

scardeal
scardeal HalfDork
10/28/11 8:43 a.m.

I recently picked up an RX-8, and in comparison:

The ride on that is only slightly less jarring on big potholes than the Z. Thrust is very different. The Z can really throw you back in your seat, whereas the RX-8 just revs forever, but doesn't have a whole lot of thrust. The Z seems to have the edge in overall grip to me, but the RX-8 transitions better.

To me, it seems like the RX-8 has the advantages in lower prep levels (Stock and ST_), whereas the Z comes more into its own at higher prep levels.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin Dork
10/28/11 8:48 a.m.
carguy123 wrote: I would expect the shorter wheelbase to really wake up the car, but the only thing I find suspect in your statement is if it's such a much greater car then why hasn't everyone been lauding it and talking it up on the forums? You'd think it would be the dream car of lots of little boys, but it doesn't appear to be. So what's missing in the new combination?

They seem to be doing very well in C-Stock, unlike the 350Z

scardeal
scardeal HalfDork
10/28/11 9:03 a.m.

One final thought: When I finally switch to Hoosiers, I fully expect to be locally competitive in BSP, even with my minimal prep level (wider wheels (too wide for STR), swaybars, soon to include clutch-type LSD)

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
10/28/11 9:06 a.m.

The 370z is much improved over the 350 but a few things kill the deal for me:

-----------For some reason the seats are torture on my frame ( 5'8"-- 175 lbs) They were actually painful for me to spend more than 20 minutes in. Other staffers didn't have a problem, but they were the least comfortable seats I've ever sat in.

----------- Zero 3/4 visibility-- If you liked your 73 Mustang fastback, you will love the Z. Many new cars have poor visibility---- the Z is the worst--- virtually NO 3/4 view while looking over the shoulder.

------------ While the 370z is fast, capable and good looking (to some) it always seems to be working hard to accomplish what you ask. Great cars pour themselves down the road and are greater than the sum of their parts. The Z (to me) seems to be fighting for every mph, it always seems to be waging war against physics. After getting out of the 370z my aging E36 M3 felt effortless. (much slower in a straight line, but effortless)

I really want to like them, and sure can't blame anyone who buys one, but they aren't for me.

stumpmj
stumpmj Dork
10/28/11 2:43 p.m.

I've got an 04 350Z that I bought new. I was originally shopping the RX-8 and the S2000 but I don't fit in either. The Z is sized perfectly for me (note: it has manual seats no I can't comment on the switch location issue and I'm 6'2", 32" inseam). No reliability issues (with the exception of one power window motor). I've done 40+ track days with it too. I did a bit of autocrossing with it but I've never been serious about it. I didn't experience the power steering issue that was mentinoed above.

They are fantastic on a track. Big wheel wells that you can fill up with tires, good geometry, plenty of power. They seem to be faster than an Elise with bigger wheels/tires (at least I passed quite a few of them). Just add sway bars and Koni shocks and your modifications are complete.

I'm retiring mine from track duty and making it my summer daily driver once I finally finish my locost. I find it to be fairly comforatble for higway duty and I get about 22 mpg around town and 28+ on the highway.

With all the compliments I'm giving it I don't think I'd buy one today. They're just too expensive compared to other options out there. I'd get a used C6 Vette or a new Mustang instead of a 370Z if I was shopping today. I think. Or better yet, a boring daily driver and a race car!

plance1
plance1 Dork
10/28/11 8:08 p.m.

never drove any, but they sound great, the 350's look better then the weird newer cars and on the few autocross tracks that I've been to, they seemed to have good times.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 Reader
10/28/11 8:14 p.m.

Make sure you fit, and are comfortable in one before you buy it. I've been in a lot of 350 and a few 370 Z cars too. I'm a fairly average sized guy 6' 34" waste 34" inseam, and 211 lbs. I just don't "fit" in the seats. I can't get my shoulders between the back seat bolsters comfortably, and I more or less set on the bottom seat bolsters instead of between them. So uncomfortable. Still a kick in the pants to hoon around in, just not for any extended period of time.

• Lee
carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
10/28/11 9:46 p.m.

As I was driving home tonight in the dark I remembered one thing I really like about my Zs - the headlights.

They had a very good headlight pattern which gave you a much better field of vision than the S2000 and the Lexus.

rotard
rotard Reader
10/28/11 11:07 p.m.

I bought an RX-8 instead of a 350z, because the RX-8 felt more like a sports car. I like the 370z, but can't justify a new one when a Mustang GT or slightly used Corvette is the same price.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZdTBPA8QCP0WdV1Bzzkp9UJIIVTcPLSqpuasVjjDlP4x7z4hvqbOCyuZTwNGbSW4