1 2
SilverFleet
SilverFleet UberDork
9/14/16 9:58 a.m.

http://www.nissanusa.com/cars/2017-sentra-sr-turbo

Remember a few years ago when Nissan had a Nismo Sentra Turbo concept that made something like 240hp with a manual transmission option? You know, this thing:

It was well received by Nissan enthusiasts, and Nissan took notice. For 2017, they are offering a Sentra SR Turbo. Exciting, right?

Well, not really.

Instead of the 240hp offered in the concept, this one makes 188hp. It's the same one they offer in the Juke. No LSD either, just some tweaks to the "active understeer" electronic nannies. Remember, this isn't the Sentra of old. This one is nearly the size of the Altima and weighs over 3000 lbs. So now, instead of being completely gutless, it will be able to keep up with traffic. At least it's available with a 6-speed manual.

It's estimated to sell for $23k+, which puts it in FiST and FoST territory, as well as many other performance oriented cars out there which will mop the floor with it. You would have to be crazy to buy this over any of the other choices out there.

My opinion: they should have tossed this drivetrain in the Versa Note (I hate that stupid name, btw). It would have made for a surprisingly nimble little heir to the old SE-R throne, and be a real competitor to the FiST. But nope, they stuck it in the frumpy Sentra. Is Nissan ever going to figure it out?

Mike
Mike Dork
9/14/16 10:07 a.m.

The Juke drivetrain fits? Maybe they should consider raiding the NISMO RS then. That's what, 220? And, it has an LSD.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau Reader
9/14/16 10:11 a.m.

I had to rent a CVT Sentra for a few weeks after my DD got rear-ended.

It felt like the bodyshop turned my 8-year-old stick shift Saturn into a Ferrari. That Sentra was biggest pile I have ever driven, and I used to be a valet so I've sat in my share of boring rental cars.

NickD
NickD Dork
9/14/16 10:15 a.m.
SilverFleet wrote: Is Nissan ever going to figure it out?

No, because this is New Nissan. Old Nissan would have. But New Nissan is the company that thinks the Murano CrossCabriolet was a good idea, the company that wants to replace their affordable enthusiast car with a hybrid AWD crossover, the company that plans to sell the same basic halo car into 2020 before issuing a replacement.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet UberDork
9/14/16 10:20 a.m.
Mike wrote: The Juke drivetrain fits? Maybe they should consider raiding the NISMO RS then. That's what, 220? And, it has an LSD.

That's basically the setup they had in the Nismo concept. They proved that it all fit 3 years ago, and they gave it 20 more HP!

Maybe they will offer a Nismo version that costs in the mid $30k range that no one will buy?

Trackmouse
Trackmouse Dork
9/14/16 10:48 a.m.

How does one go about contacting a manufacturer with ideas to improve their company?

jstein77
jstein77 UltraDork
9/14/16 11:12 a.m.
NickD wrote: ...the company that wants to replace their affordable enthusiast car with a hybrid AWD crossover...

Say what?

I don't even know which model you're referring to as an "affordable enthusiast car". I don't see anything in the current Nissan lineup that fits that bill.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet UberDork
9/14/16 11:19 a.m.
jstein77 wrote:
NickD wrote: ...the company that wants to replace their affordable enthusiast car with a hybrid AWD crossover...
Say what? I don't even know which model you're referring to as an "affordable enthusiast car". I don't see anything in the current Nissan lineup that fits that bill.

The Z car.

Not that it's "affordable", but that's what they were talking about earlier this year. Rumors floated around of them turning the next Z car into an "active sports" hybrid crossover. We are talking late 1990's/early 2000's GM level stupidity here, folks.

STM317
STM317 HalfDork
9/14/16 11:24 a.m.

All the weird stuff started when they partnered with the French

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
9/14/16 11:37 a.m.

Wow, it makes 6 more hp than the QR25DE in the Altima. Or 12 less hp than the QR25DE in the previous gen SpecV.

FWIW, the new Sentra appears to be lighter than the previous gen by a good bit. 28xx-29xx says the google.

06HHR
06HHR HalfDork
9/14/16 11:53 a.m.

I saw this yesterday on TTAC, and actually got excited until I read the specs. Nissan even sent me an e-mail. I was going to post until I thought about it and decided there really wasn't anything worth posting, other than the prospect of maybe more than 2 manual transmission Sentras being available in the United States. (really, try to find one.. I'll wait) Now, had they gone ahead and offered this for sale, my response would have been

NickD
NickD Dork
9/14/16 12:05 p.m.
SilverFleet wrote:
jstein77 wrote:
Say what? I don't even know which model you're referring to as an "affordable enthusiast car". I don't see anything in the current Nissan lineup that fits that bill.
The Z car. Not that it's "affordable", but that's what they were talking about earlier this year. Rumors floated around of them turning the next Z car into an "active sports" hybrid crossover. We are talking late 1990's/early 2000's GM level stupidity here, folks.

Yeah, I meant the Z. IT's more affordable than the GT-R

jstein77
jstein77 UltraDork
9/14/16 12:25 p.m.

As a former Spec V owner (X2), the current direction of Nissan saddens me. Fortunately, I'm overjoyed to be driving its worthy successor.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
9/14/16 1:10 p.m.
jstein77 wrote: As a former Spec V owner (X2), the current direction of Nissan saddens me. Fortunately, I'm overjoyed to be driving its worthy successor.

At least the suspension got better?

ssswitch
ssswitch Dork
9/14/16 1:30 p.m.

From my perspective, Nissan has been going downhill ever since the end of the B14. It's unfortunate what has become of them, but you can't deny that the success of the Rogue/Murano must distort the way they see the world.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/14/16 1:31 p.m.

Is anyone else reading this suddenly finding themselves longing for a B13 SE-R?

Fitzauto
Fitzauto Dork
9/14/16 1:39 p.m.

Damnit Nissan get your act together

06HHR
06HHR HalfDork
9/14/16 1:42 p.m.
SilverFleet wrote: It's estimated to sell for $23k+, which puts it in FiST and FoST territory, as well as many other performance oriented cars out there which will mop the floor with it. You would have to be crazy to buy this over any of the other choices out there.

NINJA EDIT: Actually, loaded SR models sticker for up to $23k+ (I saw an ad for a new SL for 25k!). I think this thing may actually touch $26k fully loaded, that would be insanity. Sad, I've had a couple of these as rentals and they actually aren't bad for a family car from a comfort and convenience standpoint. The base powerplant and CVT are pretty much the letdowns of the platform. This "upgrade" puts it even with base Altima power, and the car is about the size of a 2003 Gen Altima (much larger than a 90's Sentra). Not sure what Nissan is going for here, I agree this powertrain would rock in Versa Note, here it's just like having a slightly smaller Altima. Maybe that's the point?

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
9/14/16 2:22 p.m.

188hp out of a turbo 4?

lolz, Mazda is making 185hp out of the SkyActiv 2.5

Nissan seems to be going the way of Mitsubishi.

Fobroader
Fobroader Reader
9/14/16 2:22 p.m.

This powertrain in the Nissan Micra with an LSD would be amazing. In this configuration, I agree, why bother Nissan? What happened to the Nissan that had a Maxima with a 5spd manual and a LSD?? Or had an V-spec Sentra with an LSD?? I bought a Altima 3.5V6 SE brand new in 2005, with a 5 spd manual, and while I loved the engine, at around 100,000kms, it felt like it was built out of chinese spec tin.

PeterAK
PeterAK Dork
9/14/16 2:35 p.m.

Specs are pretty close to my 2015 Accord Sport -- 189 hp and weighs 3,276, six speed manual. Stickered at $23,865.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
9/15/16 9:11 a.m.
Appleseed wrote: Is anyone else reading this suddenly finding themselves longing for a B13 SE-R?

Maybe with the drivetrain from this.

MrChaos
MrChaos HalfDork
9/15/16 9:24 a.m.
z31maniac wrote: 188hp out of a turbo 4? lolz, Mazda is making 185hp out of the SkyActiv 2.5 Nissan seems to be going the way of Mitsubishi.

My 1.0 turbo 3 fiesta can make that on just a turbo swap(If any tuners offered it in the US.)

Mike
Mike Dork
9/15/16 10:09 a.m.
z31maniac wrote: 188hp out of a turbo 4? lolz, Mazda is making 185hp out of the SkyActiv 2.5 Nissan seems to be going the way of Mitsubishi.

I dunno. Your Mazda has 0.9 liters on the Sentra. I don't think it's a great decision, but specific output isn't terrible for a drivetrain that has the durability, maintenance and life expectations that come with being in a Sentra.

Dietcoke
Dietcoke Reader
9/15/16 4:36 p.m.

Gutless econojunk

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dliGwapTGMJVkrWO8lWLi6v903zfGufUhYOOZD8FGRaTkcdBMGNGVvGcRuRYdWOz