1 2
KyAllroad
KyAllroad UberDork
9/15/16 5:20 p.m.

Such a long way from the beater Altima we just got for the teenager. 1998, 2,900 lbs and 150 hp. And gets over 30 mpg hwy.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy PowerDork
9/15/16 7:30 p.m.

Word on the street is Nissan is bringing a really cool car to the Japanese Classic Car Show next weekend in Long Beach, CA - I am not at liberty to say much but prepare to be excited. (think 510, RWD, 5-speed, DOHC, and $21,000)

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy PowerDork
9/15/16 7:31 p.m.

Wow, was I dreaming?

With all seriousnss can't Nissan take one of their current RWD, 4 -cylinder, 5-speeds, and tweak it into a small sedan 510 for us? I know the frame and unibody deal is huge but my 1966 Datsun Roadster had a full frame, steel wheels, a solid rear axle, and handled like crap over bumps.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/15/16 7:36 p.m.

Will it be parked next to the new mid-engined Corvette?

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy PowerDork
9/15/16 7:54 p.m.

In all seriousness we don't want some stupid Sentra. We want this.

Knurled
Knurled MegaDork
9/15/16 8:33 p.m.
z31maniac wrote: 188hp out of a turbo 4? lolz, Mazda is making 185hp out of the SkyActiv 2.5 Nissan seems to be going the way of Mitsubishi.

188hp is only slightly less than the Fiesta ST. Does the 1.6 Ecoboost in other models also make 197hp? I never looked into it.

If you want sad, look at the specs on GM's 1.4 turbo engine. A tune wakes it RIGHT up but it's laughably underpowered as-delivered.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
9/15/16 9:52 p.m.
Datsun310Guy wrote: Word on the street is Nissan is bringing a really cool car to the Japanese Classic Car Show next weekend in Long Beach, CA - I am not at liberty to say much but prepare to be excited. (think 510, RWD, 5-speed, DOHC, and $21,000)

Yet they are pricing their slightly tarted up Sentra higher than that? I'll believe it when I see it.

NickD
NickD Dork
9/16/16 5:36 a.m.
Knurled wrote:
z31maniac wrote: 188hp out of a turbo 4? lolz, Mazda is making 185hp out of the SkyActiv 2.5 Nissan seems to be going the way of Mitsubishi.
188hp is only slightly less than the Fiesta ST. Does the 1.6 Ecoboost in other models also make 197hp? I never looked into it. If you want sad, look at the specs on GM's 1.4 turbo engine. A tune wakes it RIGHT up but it's laughably underpowered as-delivered.

Yeah, it only makes TWO more horsepower and 25lb-ft over the 1.8L non-turbo EcoTec.

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
9/16/16 6:59 a.m.

I had no idea they still made Sentras. I thought it was Versa then altimaxima.

bastomatic
bastomatic UltraDork
9/16/16 8:13 a.m.

Having driven the Leaf for the past 3 years now, I'm less than impressed with Nissan. Their quality control is much worse than the Mazdas and Hondas I've driven and owned, and their product lineup is stale and boring.

Even the Leaf, which was really a revolutionary car when it was launched, has seen its replacement repeatedly delayed. The new Chevy Bolt has more than double its range, more capacity, and more tech, and will sell for the same price.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve MegaDork
9/16/16 8:41 a.m.

Yeah, but...

kb58
kb58 Dork
9/16/16 8:47 a.m.

I've had many Datsuns and Nissans before but admit to have lost interest in Nissan - it's as if they've lost their soul.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet UberDork
9/16/16 9:08 a.m.
Datsun310Guy wrote: Word on the street is Nissan is bringing a really cool car to the Japanese Classic Car Show next weekend in Long Beach, CA - I am not at liberty to say much but prepare to be excited. (think 510, RWD, 5-speed, DOHC, and $21,000)

...And they will never build it. Carlos will never let them.

Also, 188hp from a 1.6L four isn't bad, but when it's saddled with 3000+ lbs of mediocre sedan, it's there to get the thing moving, and that's it. Again, this drivetrain in the much smaller Versa Note (I really, really hate that stupid name) would be magical. I mean, Ford can do it, so why can't anyone else?

jstein77
jstein77 UltraDork
9/16/16 9:18 a.m.

C&D said Nissan has already killed the IDX.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy PowerDork
9/16/16 10:45 a.m.

In reply to SilverFleet:

I'm loaded with sarcasm. I know Nissan won't build that 510.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet UberDork
9/16/16 10:48 a.m.

In reply to Datsun310Guy:

I've been bamboozled!

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
9/19/16 11:19 a.m.
My opinion: they should have tossed this drivetrain in the Versa Note (I hate that stupid name, btw). It would have made for a surprisingly nimble little heir to the old SE-R throne, and be a real competitor to the FiST. But nope, they stuck it in the frumpy Sentra. Is Nissan ever going to figure it out?

They're never going to figure ME out because i want that engine in a Cube.

Opti
Opti HalfDork
9/20/16 7:50 p.m.

Im all for this car.

I would never purchase one new, but hear me out. Almost any car with a turbo is awesome. Yah it may come with 12 hp, but just like every turbo car, its a few mods away from drivetrain destroying power, which is a fun place to be for a toy car. Plus once turbos become more mainstream, they will be easier to find good takeoffs and turbos in junkyards.

Currently around here in almost all jyards as soon as something like a v8 or turbo comes in the owners or workers pull it for a personal drag car/sandrail,/race boat, then it sits in a back room forever.

I really dont like ford but I love what they are doing with the ecoboost stuff, anything with a turbo is good in my opinion.

Who knows in 25 years maybe we will have someone like swagforceone (I feel like I got that wrong but I think yall will know who im talking about) telling everyone about the virtues of the nissan sentra SR, and how the stock motor can hold a billion HP, and no one knows about it so you can pick one up for like 20 dollars.

That reminds me I need to check clist for MX6s.

Since they didnt use the SER badge, and they look vanilla enough maybe in 10 years noone will know he difference between it and a normal sentra and youll be able to pick up a decent sporting DD for next to nothing. Its like a Corolla XRS.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DVAUIolC7BFDyMEmZeZ1oDliHqgyVsoPsEmf7LIqRVCMgCx4Dk98zgt6YpTykk8D