Jordan Rimpela
Jordan Rimpela Digital Editor
8/23/19 9:08 a.m.

Proof from the parking lot. Just don't get too distracted by the gorgeous Mercedes or my gams in the shot. 

NickD
NickD PowerDork
8/23/19 10:10 a.m.

The weird thing is that the Altima is now slightly larger than the Maxima, kind of making the Maxima's existence moot

Jordan Rimpela
Jordan Rimpela Digital Editor
8/23/19 10:19 a.m.

In reply to NickD :

Bizarre. I can report though that the seats in this Maxima look the business; a much nicer place to spend time than the Altima. We'll see what it's like to drive soon enough. 

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture PowerDork
8/23/19 10:45 a.m.

The Maxima appears bigger to the untrained eye (I think it's because of the higher beltline) and is now the only way to get a V6 sedan from Nissan. It's a damn shame you have to get it mated to a CVT. Conventional autos have become pretty good but CVTs are just terrible, Nissan's in particular...

NickD
NickD PowerDork
8/23/19 10:55 a.m.
pointofdeparture said:

The Maxima appears bigger to the untrained eye (I think it's because of the higher beltline) and is now the only way to get a V6 sedan from Nissan. It's a damn shame you have to get it mated to a CVT. Conventional autos have become pretty good but CVTs are just terrible, Nissan's in particular...

And still they continue to try and push the 4-Door Sports Car angle on the Maxima. Sorry, I have a hard time considering anything with a CVT a sportscar. If it had a good automatic or a DCT maybe. But, I think the Kia Stinger is more the 4-door sportscar currently.

Brake_L8
Brake_L8 Reader
8/23/19 3:16 p.m.

They do make one and I just wrote about it this morning! The "4 Door Sports Car" marketing angle is such a farce and the car is actively not-sporty. It's also very hard to look at.

https://outmotorsports.com/2019/08/2019-nissan-maxima-sv-review-4-door-sports-car/

cdeforrest
cdeforrest Reader
8/23/19 4:49 p.m.

The question is Why?

ShinnyGroove
ShinnyGroove Reader
8/23/19 5:04 p.m.

I had one as a rental car. It was excellent, one of the best rentals I’ve driven. 9/10, held back only by the CVT. I would own one in a second. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/23/19 5:51 p.m.
NickD said:

The weird thing is that the Altima is now slightly larger than the Maxima, kind of making the Maxima's existence moot

Wait, seriously? I've never shopped for either car, or any 4-door since I had my GenPu Speed3 almost 10 years ago. 

Seems like they could save a ton, ditching the Altima or Maxima and just offering the engine choices available between both?

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UberDork
8/23/19 7:28 p.m.

It's hard for me to like bigger cars as a daily.  I just do too much city driving and the Versa is perfectly competent on the hwy.  Also I don't want to impress anyone - I'd blush.  laugh

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
8/23/19 8:51 p.m.

I really like the look of the current maxima. I despise CVT's. Shame because the rest of the car scratches the right itches. 

Dootz
Dootz Reader
8/23/19 9:01 p.m.

In reply to NickD :

Don't forget Nissan screwing over the Maxima by giving the Altima an AWD option first

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Nm2wGznm3UB4ygXpSLlSeIRPf0i8plXVxbrTqGClvJ6EyBvK82jvu0rhWHoaQEyh