1 2
Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/2/22 9:52 a.m.

I'm seeing news articles that Tesla has put the final axe on Cybertruck, and is returning preorder $$. Seems plausible but unlikely to me.

Fake news?

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa PowerDork
4/2/22 10:05 a.m.

Were you seeing this news posted yesterday, or today?

m4ff3w
m4ff3w UberDork
4/2/22 10:13 a.m.

It was April Fools joke from CarBuzz.  

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UltraDork
4/2/22 10:24 a.m.

It may have been April fools , but it really told the truth , 

with Ford and GM  having EV trucks soon it's smarter for Tesla to just build cars......

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa PowerDork
4/2/22 10:32 a.m.

In reply to californiamilleghia :

With nearly every one of the big manufacturers getting on the EV wagon it might be smarter for Tesla to do a lot more things.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/2/22 10:50 a.m.
Mr_Asa said:

Were you seeing this news posted yesterday, or today?

Well I guess I didn't think to check! Haha.

84FSP
84FSP UberDork
4/2/22 12:32 p.m.

On a related note - Cybertruck buyers starting getting Tesla emails saying heir truck was being built yesterday.  If April Fools, it's just mean.

fidelity101
fidelity101 UberDork
4/2/22 2:09 p.m.

definitely delayed not canceled. 

AClockworkGarage
AClockworkGarage Dork
4/2/22 10:05 p.m.

Musk gets his endorphin rush from announcing things, not from delivering things.

He's moved on to promising brain chips and dancing robots. The garbage truck isn't coming.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 UltraDork
4/2/22 11:13 p.m.

To be fair- he has delivered a berkeley of a lot more than almost any other company in the last decade. I'm not his hugest fan, but to say he doesn't deliver is just untrue. He just delivers it anhelluva lot later than he said he would. 

Flynlow (FS)
Flynlow (FS) Dork
4/3/22 12:15 a.m.
Teh E36 M3 said:

To be fair- he has delivered a berkeley of a lot more than almost any other company in the last decade.

I wouldn't go that far.  As an all-electric vehicle startup?  Sure, pretty impressive on deliverables vs. say lucid/rivian/etc.

Any other company?  There's a lot of 911 GT3's, FRS/BRZ (less than a decade old!), GT350's, Raptors, Hellcats, Ford GT's, flat-plane Z06's out there.  And most of them made money in the process (on the cars, not their carbon offset credits...)

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
4/3/22 12:39 a.m.

Don't forget completely taking over the space industry at the same time. It's hard to say which has had the bigger effect overall, but most individuals will notice the transformation of the automotive industry more. I think SpaceX is having a bigger effect because it's completely transformed that industry instead of just revolutionizing. The cost of getting stuff into orbit is now 5% of what it was in the Shuttle era, and the stretch goal is to drop that by another two orders of magnitude.

Tesla's making lots of money on cars and has for a while now, but selling carbon credits to manufacturers who need them is also a legit revenue stream. 

Musk's mistake is to set aspirational goals and make them public, where they are interpreted as promises instead. 

rustomatic
rustomatic Reader
4/3/22 4:33 p.m.

Buy a Rivian instead.  I'm a shareholder . . . I mean bagholder . . .

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UltraDork
4/3/22 6:22 p.m.

I have seen a driving  Rivian truck about 10 miles from the SpaceX Tesla factory .

I have not seen a Cybertruck and none of my friends have and we live near SpaceX Tesla , 

they are not testing them around here !

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
4/3/22 6:57 p.m.

There is no "SpaceX Tesla factory". They're different companies and don't share production facilities. Cybertrucks have been spotted being tested at the Fremont Tesla facility but I don't think they're roaming the roads at large yet. I don't think it's the most important thing Tesla should be doing, and I suspect getting the Texas and German factories have been a bigger priority as they should be. I think the rework of the S took precedence as well.

Rivan has started production, so expect to see more of those. I saw one last weekend at a mountain biking trailhead in Colorado. 

67LS1
67LS1 Reader
4/4/22 12:53 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:

Don't forget completely taking over the space industry at the same time. It's hard to say which has had the bigger effect overall, but most individuals will notice the transformation of the automotive industry more. I think SpaceX is having a bigger effect because it's completely transformed that industry instead of just revolutionizing. The cost of getting stuff into orbit is now 5% of what it was in the Shuttle era, and the stretch goal is to drop that by another two orders of magnitude.

Tesla's making lots of money on cars and has for a while now, but selling carbon credits to manufacturers who need them is also a legit revenue stream. 

Musk's mistake is to set aspirational goals and make them public, where they are interpreted as promises instead. 

I don't believe if you subtract the emission credit income Tesla is making "lots of money". They are now profitable without the credit sales but not anywhere near where a car company needs to be. And their current offerings are getting a little "long in the tooth" by automotive model longevity standards. 

Let's see when they're able to pay dividends to their stockholders.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
4/4/22 10:44 a.m.

Tesla reported a profit of $13.6 billion in 2021. That's about the same as BMW. They sold $1.5 billion in carbon credits that year, so that's $12.1 billion from the cars. I do consider over 12 billion dollars to be "lots of money" :) I think they finally turned the corner a couple of years ago - which is pretty impressive given that they've built three factories from scratch in that same period and two of them are now producing. Texas is getting close.

The current Model Y was introduced in 2019, the Model 3 in 2017, the Model S was refreshed in 2021. I would not be surprised to hear the X was allowed to die because I think it was a mistake. By comparison, the Camry was introduced in 2017, the Accord in 2018, the 3 series in 2018. I think the problem is that the styling isn't changed frequently while the vehicles evolve under the skin, so you can't tell a 2017 Model 3 from a 2022 from glancing at it despite the changes in the interior, the battery, the HVAC system, the charging system and other hardware updates.

I'm pretty sure very few Tesla stockholders are complaining :D

m4ff3w
m4ff3w UberDork
4/5/22 6:13 p.m.

I think it's hilarious/sad how many people hate on Musk/Tesla/SpaceX just because it's trendy or they don't understand.

Are the cars the greatest ever, no?

Are the supremely reliable, performant, efficient, cheap to maintain.  Absolutely.

No legacy manufacturer has built a better EV.  The Model 3 Performance is quicker than nearly else on the road, while costing <$3 to travel 100 miles.  

I love our Model 3 P and will be purchasing a Rivian R1T after we buy our house next year.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa PowerDork
4/5/22 6:36 p.m.

In reply to m4ff3w :

I think its hilarious when people assume I hate Musk because its trendy.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
4/5/22 7:25 p.m.

It's possible to appreciate what he's done but not actually like the guy. That's allowed.

AClockworkGarage
AClockworkGarage Dork
4/5/22 11:23 p.m.

Anyone could have done what he's done if they also had a trust fund full of shady african slave emerald money and a total disregard for the safety and well-being of their employees.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
4/5/22 11:58 p.m.

In reply to AClockworkGarage :

Yeah, that's crap. There are plenty of millionaire and billionaire kids out there whose biggest claim to accomplishment is a sex tape or a really killer cocaine addiction. He had a huge leg up on life but has also done more with it than most have or would given the same advantages. 

grover
grover Dork
4/5/22 11:59 p.m.

There's a ton of people who fit that description who haven't done as much. 

grover
grover Dork
4/6/22 12:00 a.m.

Additionally, while I think musk is a  nut- I have friends at spaceX and they LOVE their job- wouldn't go anywhere else. They also appear to be extremely well compensated. 

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
4/6/22 10:12 a.m.

That's a seriously numbnuts statement. If anyone with funds could create great things (And Tesla/Space X are great things) the world would be full of great stuff.  But most wealthy won't leave much more of a legacy than us working class shmoes. Sometimes less. Musk has changed the world, and mainly for the better. You don't have to like the guy to see that, just have open eyes.  

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9Y18vnNPfNG7slTWgHM1Ar8xlYAXwJED2KUGYnANO2ej4kkE1AbTGReO0JRtMdsz