1 2
rustybugkiller
rustybugkiller HalfDork
9/20/18 8:27 a.m.

Scouring craigslist for a DD I’ve found a few non running  vehicles that seem to good to be true. The most tempting is this MB. https://youngstown.craigslist.org/cto/d/mercedes-clk-320-will-not/6702629113.html  Either it’s a scam or they won’t sell it if I get running in their drive.

https://youngstown.craigslist.org/cto/d/2007-nissan-pathfinder-4x4/6702446521.html

This Pathfinder seems too low mileage to have a blown motor. Says it cranks. Not what I’m looking for as a DD but maybe a quick flip if it’s misdiagnosed. How  do you determine what is worth your time?

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
9/20/18 8:35 a.m.

For the Mercedes, the car is moved in each of the pictures.  That is suspicious to me.  Well that and someone is oo lazy to get it to a shop to see what is wrong with it.    

P3PPY
P3PPY New Reader
9/20/18 8:39 a.m.

Yeah that's pretty crazy. There's not even an element of "I'm sick and tired of fixing this thing" there with the Merc like you'd expect to find for a Challenge car like that

I've been looking into flipping newer cars and my first rule of thumb is if it won't start you have to be willing to put the money into replacing the transmission too

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
9/20/18 8:43 a.m.

one thing i've noticed is that non car people use car people words incorrectly.  some examples:

"cranks but won't catch" for a car that had a running engine and a bad transmission.

"nothing happens when i turn the key" for a car where the engine would turn over with the starter but would not run.

etc.

sometimes a quick phone call Q&A can help, sometimes not.   if it's something i want to pursue, i pursue it until i either get it or get fed up.

rustybugkiller
rustybugkiller HalfDork
9/20/18 8:44 a.m.
spitfirebill said:

For the Mercedes, the car is moved in each of the pictures.  That is suspicious to me.  Well that and someone is oo lazy to get it to a shop to see what is wrong with it.    

I need to be more  observant. It looks like it’s parked at someone’s house in the first pic and at a store in the others.

rustybugkiller
rustybugkiller HalfDork
9/20/18 8:49 a.m.

The Merc must be a scam. I found 2 more similar ads different pics but for the same car. 

Usually they have a email I consider it a scam. This one had a phone number.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
9/20/18 8:52 a.m.
rustybugkiller said:
spitfirebill said:

I need to be more  observant. It looks like it’s parked at someone’s house in the first pic and at a store in the others.

These Merc pics could also just be pics they had. #1 from when they bought it.

#2 from a time they washed it. #3, #4 from some other reason.

Merc seems over priced. 

On the Merc my guess is some sort of on board security system that is unhappy after the electrical drain down. May require dealer involvement. 

My guess is the Pathfinder is a small dealer who hoped it would be a simple fix but it's not. At $2k asking price he's trying to still turn a profit. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
9/20/18 8:56 a.m.
AngryCorvair said:

one thing i've noticed is that non car people use car people words incorrectly.  some examples:

My favorite is "cranks but won't turn over" or vice versa.

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
9/20/18 9:14 a.m.

The pathfinder probably has a bad transmission.  They fail when the transmission cooler line that runs through the radiator fails.

Since it is so common good used ones are unavailable, rebuilds are expensive to the tune of 2500 to 3000.

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
9/20/18 9:19 a.m.

How does the bad transmission keep the car from starting? (Not saying it doesn't, just wondering what fails that causes that.)

STM317
STM317 SuperDork
9/20/18 9:21 a.m.

The primary function of a car is to move under it's own power. These can no longer perform their primary function. It would have to be something special for me to pay nearly $2k for a non running vehicle. It's too easy to buy running/driving stuff for less than that.

ThatsNoUsername
ThatsNoUsername HalfDork
9/20/18 9:23 a.m.

Usually you can assume that someone on craigslist isnt telling you the whole truth. I once messaged a "perfectly running caprice, former daily driver" that was missing a carb, tranny, and a front seat plus had a "minor rust hole in the passenger floorboard, less than 8 inches round" but i was told it "runs and drives great, a true classic!"

But then theres the fact that there are some seriously lazy stupid people out there

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
9/20/18 9:31 a.m.
dculberson said:

How does the bad transmission keep the car from starting? (Not saying it doesn't, just wondering what fails that causes that.)

If you want to be shady and mask an expensive transmission problem, simply unhook an important engine sensor and market it as not starting.  

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
9/20/18 9:37 a.m.

CLKs from that era don't have a whole lot of resale value - a running example wouldn't set you back a lot more.

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo SuperDork
9/20/18 10:09 a.m.

Agree with posts above - That CLK is market price maybe a bit high considering it needs some love plus the cost of a tow.  If it's a scammer its a bad or dumb scammer.

The Pathfinder looks beat.  Low miles, but spent every single one of them being neglected.  Flat tire, filthy, base model, etc.  Considering they want over $2k, it needs to be towed, plus the cost of getting an engine installed, probably needs rubber and brakes, drivers seat is busted up.  Comparables in running condition that have not been neglected are $5k to $7k and all you have to do is write a check.

Neither look like "deals" to me.  Maybe for the seller.

TGMF
TGMF Reader
9/20/18 11:49 a.m.

Early nissan 4.0's had timing chain issues,  rarely broke entirely...but if neglected for long enough it could happen.  So that might be true.  Also true is the coolant in the trans issue, so, plan a entire driveline replacement on a neglected "non running" example. 2k is crack pipe. 

Cooter
Cooter Dork
9/20/18 11:57 a.m.

The scammer M.O. is to get as large of pool 'buyers' as possible all lathered up about a great deal.  (See $1807 Cummins trucks, etc) 

I don't see a huge demand for broken Mercedes. 

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
9/20/18 11:59 a.m.

So it appears the people that used to put up a late model Benz for $1700 using only one photo in the ad, are getting smarter.

The Scam, they collect your phone number or email and sell it? 

Cooter
Cooter Dork
9/20/18 12:24 p.m.

Not likely, as no one is really interested in broken cars above the market value, and the number checks out as local. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
9/20/18 12:26 p.m.
dculberson said:

What fails is the owner's hand in turning the key.  Because if it just "doesn't start", there's still room for the buyer to assume / hope that it is something simple and cheap to fix.  Whereas is if starts fine but makes a horrible grinding noise and won't go into gear, it's almost definitely an expensively ruined transmission.

[edit]  Treed.

jharry3
jharry3 Reader
9/20/18 12:34 p.m.

Back in the 80's my youngest brother had a VW Beetle that would not start.  He refused to let my other brother or me, both of us who did a lot of mechanical work at our grandpa's tire shop, look at it.  Told us to butt out, it was none of our business.  Truly since he also refused to work at the tire shop because that work was too hard.

He finally gave up trying to fix it and he put an ad in the paper saying he had a VW that would not start.  I think he asked like $300 for it when a running one would have gotten $800. 

Dude shows up, cranks it a few times, and says he will buy it.   Gave my brother the money, etc.  He tells my brother he will be right back to pick it up.

Buyer came back with a can of gasoline, put it into the tank, and the car started right up.  He drove away.  Dumbo brother just stood there watching totally dumbfounded at what happened.  

rustybugkiller
rustybugkiller HalfDork
9/20/18 2:06 p.m.

Ok, it looks like  MB are off the DD list. The Thought on the Nissan was low ball for flip. Will move my attention somewhere else. Thanks!

edizzle89
edizzle89 Dork
9/20/18 2:42 p.m.

Ad's that say "ran great, just needs a X (usually a basic part that would keep it from actually starting, like a battery, starter, etc.)" always sounds like a seller trying to hide a big mechanical issue. Or "drives well with no problems, just needs driveshaft put back in" says trans or axle issue.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
9/20/18 2:49 p.m.

Can you get to the New Philly, OH location of IAA on Fridays for the pre-inspection of their Monday auctions?  

I have written a lot about my experiences with the Lorain, OH branch.  

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/learn-me-auto-auctions-copart-brokers-iaas-etc/132812/page1/

_
_ Reader
9/20/18 2:53 p.m.

We are all just animals that are eating each other.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OiRmLSWf4FZ7aO3wniVtxqncSbFkvGE34tZb5x8wQnqQBW2XaSn82TdYLnqAEMEo