1 2
Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
6/10/19 4:18 p.m.

Drifting to me is like any other form of Motorsport or baseball or soccer or basketball.

I'd much rather be doing it than watching it. 

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
6/10/19 4:30 p.m.

In reply to Nick Comstock :

Agreed. I seldom watch any of it. A cool youtube video of a highlight it fun to watch though. 

Thanks for sharing!

ShawnG
ShawnG PowerDork
6/10/19 4:49 p.m.
TopNoodles
TopNoodles New Reader
6/10/19 4:53 p.m.

Definitely agree that sports or motorsports in general are better to participate in or at least watch live. I'm sure everyone who witnessed the historic perfect score had a great time.

Also objective points drifting exists, it's excellent, and I'm surprised I don't see it come up more often.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGy_kjfkhso

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
6/10/19 5:10 p.m.

Definitely an impressive run.  I could see space between his bumper and one of the cones, I guess that was within requirements? (yes, I realize, no space, and a 100 would be almost impossible then).

I say, do this, put it on loose dirt and time them around a course, fastest time wins... we can call it... rally racing...

wink

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/10/19 7:35 p.m.

This didn't take long to turn into "Drifting is, Drifting isnt, Drifting should..." As usual. 

ShawnG
ShawnG PowerDork
6/10/19 7:43 p.m.
alfadriver said:
jharry3 said:

I finally figured out which sport Drifting resembles: Curling  - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiQeLGqBfcs

Uh, Curling is not a judged sport like drifting, gymnastics, diving, and figure skating are.

Curling may be a slow sport, but scoring points is very well defined, like baseball.  Or horseshoes.

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
6/10/19 8:18 p.m.
Rusnak_322 said:

The problem with FD is, you have someone like me, a long time car guy. I cant discern the difference between a 100 and a 85 score. I am not a fan of something that you cant tell who wins without input from the judges.

I'd score everyone zeros because they are using power and not momentum. They aren't drifting, they are burnouting.

Let's see them try drifting without making any tire smoke.  (old-man-yells-at-cloud.jpg)

NickD
NickD PowerDork
6/10/19 8:26 p.m.
aircooled said:

Definitely an impressive run.  I could see space between his bumper and one of the cones, I guess that was within requirements? (yes, I realize, no space, and a 100 would be almost impossible then)

Yeah, they want you to be as close to the cones as possible without hitting them (sending one flying is a penalty).

nimblemotorsports
nimblemotorsports New Reader
6/10/19 9:05 p.m.

You get to witness history everyday.  The next day, yesterday is history.    :)  Could not resist, because this is about drifting.   

Just what is it about GRM that thread titles are 'click bait'?

gencollon
gencollon New Reader
6/10/19 9:11 p.m.

In reply to aircooled :

Go to 0:47 in the video: See that white line on the ground? That's the outer clipping zone he is supposed to be on. I didn't watch the whole event either, but if he got a 100, I bet'cha that that white line doesn't go right up to that traffic cone.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
6/11/19 12:35 a.m.

OK, I see the line, he is right on it.  Of course one of the turns doesn’t really have a line (it has rubber covering it for some reason :) ).   Regarding spacing, he looks to be as close to the wall as possible!

Theoretically, with an accurate transponder (with accelerometer / angle sensors) the scoring could be done electronically. It would be just like they do it in a driving game (e.g. GT).

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
6/11/19 3:32 a.m.
aircooled said:

Theoretically, with an accurate transponder (with accelerometer / angle sensors) the scoring could be done electronically. It would be just like they do it in a driving game (e.g. GT).

I want this for night rallycrosses.  Its just too berking dangerous to have corner workers who can't see.

NickD
NickD PowerDork
6/11/19 5:21 a.m.
aircooled said:

OK, I see the line, he is right on it.  Of course one of the turns doesn’t really have a line (it has rubber covering it for some reason :) ).   Regarding spacing, he looks to be as close to the wall as possible!

Red Bull Drift Shifters uses the a digital scoring system. That's also an interesting event to watch. They set up a huge freestyle course in the middle of a city, then invite the best drifters from around the world and set a single car at a time loose to gather as much points as possible by chaining segments together and earning multipliers. It's kind of like a fusion of pinball and drifting.

D1GP, the Japanese drift sanctioning body, also uses the digital scoring system as well, but that series has been troubled and turned off a lot of people. And the FIA Drifting World Cup used it as well, although I'm not sure if that's a thing anymore or not.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
6/11/19 5:46 a.m.

Did y'all catch the little drone that was chasing and keeping up with the car? 

Would I spend my money on the sport? Nah...no way. Would I want to go for a ride as a passenger with that driver? Hell Yeah.  Bring on the Russian Judges!

Pete

tr8todd
tr8todd Dork
6/11/19 6:32 a.m.

I don't get it.  How is this even a thing???/

NickD
NickD PowerDork
6/11/19 7:51 a.m.
NOHOME said:

Did y'all catch the little drone that was chasing and keeping up with the car? 

Would I spend my money on the sport? Nah...no way. Would I want to go for a ride as a passenger with that driver? Hell Yeah.  Bring on the Russian Judges!

Pete

JohnnyFPV is their drone pilot, and he's actually a professional drone racer as well. That drone has to be doing 70-80mph easily, and he gets some amazing close-up footage. It looks like video game footage. Here's a clip of the drone shots from Matt Field's 99-point qualifying run at Long Beach

https://www.facebook.com/plugins/video.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Ffacebook%2Fvideos%2F557514341407117%2F&width=500&show_text=false&height=281

pinchvalve
pinchvalve MegaDork
6/11/19 8:00 a.m.

While drifting isn't my cup of tea, I don't understand the numbers in figure skating or baseball either, so that doesn't bother me.  I just can't shake the desire to put all that horsepower and engineering into lower lap times! I have to give Falken a lot of credit for creating a sport that consumes massive amounts of their products. Genius.  

infinitenexus
infinitenexus New Reader
6/11/19 9:07 a.m.

I've always thought drifting was dumb.  It's not about actual racing, or lap times, it's about what basically amounts to style points.   That being said, his run was impressive.  He was at a 45 degree angle pretty much the entire time.  Nice to see it in a Mustang, too.

NickD
NickD PowerDork
6/11/19 9:21 a.m.
infinitenexus said:

Nice to see it in a Mustang, too.

The S550 Mustangs are proving themselves to be absolutely monstrous cars this season. Plenty of angle and they have a ton of forward bite even when sideways. In the chase position, they can just dive in on the lead driver's door and are very hard to get away from.

infinitenexus
infinitenexus New Reader
6/11/19 9:28 a.m.

Plus the coyote motor may be gigantic but it's an absolutely monster.

NickD
NickD PowerDork
6/11/19 9:33 a.m.

In reply to infinitenexus :

Well, the Falken car is the only one running a blown Coyote. Vaughn Gittin Jr. and Chelsea DeNofa's matching Mustangs are running a stroked NASCAR Roush-Yates engine with ITBs

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JY0y05MYx6oVL5qXv7QWWBmKQe6egGJeET6bCw6myG0IKOgecrtkknVWnhPjwltG