noddaz
noddaz Reader
4/1/12 3:24 p.m.

Well, sort of anyway. Competed in the WDCR Autocross today and had a BLAST! My poor old 1986 GTi was running like it never ran before. Meanwhile my son was flogging my 1997 Jetta... The times I turned were, 1st run 78.224. Second run 69.600. Third run 63.302 and my final run was 62.489. Good enough to place me second.. (Out of three cars in my class...lol) Everyone was friendly and very helpful to my son and I and my son's friend. (Who ran in a different class...) A great time was had by all...

BBsGarage
BBsGarage HalfDork
4/1/12 3:27 p.m.

Awesome!

Welcome to the fold.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce New Reader
4/1/12 3:40 p.m.

It's......it's just fun, isn't it. Welcome to the insanity.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado PowerDork
4/1/12 4:27 p.m.

You're more of a race car driver than someone who watches it on TV..

I might have to see if I can find a 16v GTI. I love my Corrado, but she's just too damn heavy (still has full interior, running on the same tires that got me there). Welcome to the madness!

Lesley
Lesley UberDork
4/1/12 4:52 p.m.

Congratulations, and welcome to our newest addict.

BBsGarage
BBsGarage HalfDork
4/1/12 4:54 p.m.
noddaz wrote: Everyone was friendly and very helpful to my son and I and my son's friend. (Who ran in a different class...) A great time was had by all...

Thats pretty much how it is all over............As long as your not walking around being "That Guy" that is.

jrw1621
jrw1621 PowerDork
4/1/12 5:04 p.m.

Welcome to autox!
When I first started autocrossing in the mid '90's the bible at the time was the VHS tape titled, "Autocrossing with Dick Turner" The wisdom from the mid '80's really has not changed. Through the magic of youtube this now out of print video can be viewed in eleven segments. http://www.youtube.com/user/EvolutionAutocrosser?feature=watch

Everything I would recommend can be found within.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce New Reader
4/1/12 5:08 p.m.
jrw1621 wrote: Welcome to autox! When I first started autocrossing in the mid '90's the bible at the time was the VHS tape titled, "Autocrossing with Dick Turner" The wisdom from the mid '80's really has not changed. Through the magic of youtube this now out of print video can be viewed in eleven segments. http://www.youtube.com/user/EvolutionAutocrosser?feature=watch Everything I would recommend can be found within.

Holy cow! 10 minutes ago I was all bummed that my wife is out of town. Now I'm not so sad. Spending the evening watching 30 year old instructional autocross videos is something that is going to make her happy she's gone too.
Thanks!

jrw1621
jrw1621 PowerDork
4/1/12 5:37 p.m.

And, Mugen Integras and CRXs served before there was "rice."

Bookmark it and watch it again at least at the beginning of each season.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce Reader
4/2/12 9:54 a.m.

Watched the video last night. Thank you very much for that. I have things to think about that I wasn't even thinking about before. Clearly, I'm not quite a race car driver.....yet.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado PowerDork
4/2/12 5:50 p.m.
mazdeuce wrote: Watched the video last night. Thank you very much for that. I have things to think about that I wasn't even thinking about before. Clearly, I'm not quite a race car driver.....yet.

Hmm. There's numbers on the car, people keep score, and you're honest about having more to learn.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/mar/12/lewis-hamilton-f1-mclaren-melbourne

Sounds like a race driver to me!! (insert thumbs up icon here)

kazoospec
kazoospec Reader
4/2/12 6:31 p.m.

Welcome aboard! For even more fun, you and your son should co-drive the same car. Tends to put serious braggin' rights on the line.

Maroon92
Maroon92 MegaDork
4/2/12 6:43 p.m.

Jerry was a race car driver...

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
4/26/12 12:05 a.m.

Awesome. Sounds like you guys had a great time.

miataman86
miataman86 Reader
4/26/12 4:31 p.m.

Awesome!

Tyler H
Tyler H Dork
4/27/12 9:45 a.m.
jrw1621 wrote: http://www.youtube.com/user/EvolutionAutocrosser?feature=watch Everything I would recommend can be found within.

Thanks for sharing...somehow I've managed to NOT see this video before. "All we're doing is turning money into noise." Words of wisdom right there.

miataman86
miataman86 Reader
4/27/12 9:30 p.m.

I will be doing my first event in Sept. Cant wait for it!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GSW3CJ8RPLBwqdOeW1SMCJ1OhKeKTwmHgUGqexdh1dgpZ1cFHXOaRRDLD3aJOmSM