greenfieldhippi
greenfieldhippi New Reader
7/17/19 10:57 p.m.

Anyone have a suggestion for a solid OBD2 reader that works well with many different manufacturers?

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill PowerDork
7/18/19 12:37 a.m.

I've used one of those $5 Bluetooth adapters and the "Torque" app (free) with success on my BMW, Merc, and Toyota.

_
_ HalfDork
7/18/19 1:40 a.m.

And if you have an apple product, I use the OBD fusion app. You can even customize the gauges for a digital dashboard! 

greenfieldhippi
7/18/19 9:32 p.m.

In reply to Hungary Bill :

Yeah I've seen those before but was thinking of getting one with a screen and stuff. Do the elm type read emission readiness?

VegasNick
VegasNick Reader
7/18/19 9:37 p.m.

I bought a Foxwell NT301. For the price, it is pretty damn cool. 

Pros: You can see live data, live graph data, and record an actual drive. It has a pretty solid data base of codes and cars, and is easily updateable on their website. 

Cons: You can only view one graph at a time. (so you could not see LTFT and STFT as a graph) BUT.. you can see as many live data channels as you wish. You can't plug it into a bigger screen. You can print the data from a run, but it takes a bit to really grasp what you are looking at as it prints one data frame after another. 

cbaclawski
cbaclawski New Reader
7/18/19 10:34 p.m.

I just got the actron cp9695 last week.  It's a little pricey, but I've been pretty amazed at what it can do so far.  It's already paid for itself diagnosing an ABS issue I was having.  Would buy again.

I also considered the cp9690 for its obd1 capabilities, but ended up going with the 9695 for the enhanced obd2 stuff.  I figured I'd use that feature more than obd1 since most of my cars are newer than 96 anyway... (i do wish they had one model with both, but...)

greenfieldhippi
7/18/19 11:54 p.m.

In reply to VegasNick :

I was actually heavily considering a foxwell probably what I'll end up getting. Thanks for the info!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
m4j1AMz59GE45v8amiQYEj9XDoeTLJn1iqkQDXLzCdH936GWATaH8lPnnShy5NWq