Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
5/26/23 10:26 a.m.

Let's say that a fella wanted to install a transverse motorcycle engine in a middie scenario using a Guibo straight to the diff rather than a chain. But the motors weight would be offset to the drivers side. To address this, what about making unequal halfshafts to enable the diff, and therefore the motor to sit several inches towards the passenger side? What would be the dynamic result be? It's not like the BEC brings a lot of torque to the table, but......    

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 Dork
5/26/23 11:20 a.m.

while I have precisely zero firsthand experience, I wouldn't be too worried. Sure, you could get some small amount of "torque steer" just because one side has a longer section to twist than the other, but I wouldn't think it would even be severe enough to feel or cause weird handling. Once the transient "windup" happens, the steady state behavior shouldn't be different side to side, so would only show up during hard shifts, launches, etc. My wild guess is that getting the weight balanced in the chassis is going to make a bigger difference than unequal length halfshafts.

There are plenty of solid axles out there with offset differentials, too. Usually a fairly minor offset in the rear, but they're out there.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
5/26/23 2:31 p.m.

Should make no difference.  IMO weird torque pull effects in a front driver are because of CV joint angles forcing the steering.  No steering = no torque pull.

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
5/26/23 2:40 p.m.

In reply to Kreb (Forum Supporter) :

Move the driver?   Right hand drive?   
   However the Echidna  had a standard right side axle and a short left side axle ( small block Chevy powered race car) very successful. No funny handling issues. 

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
5/28/23 1:22 a.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

Should make no difference.  IMO weird torque pull effects in a front driver are because of CV joint angles forcing the steering.  No steering = no torque pull.

This is my take on it. Most 4x4s would have horrendous torque steer if that was not the case. The solid axle just smooths everything out.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hzb0lkGIn322hUvC0Ei6OyNM8j36XOqIEDq2d8ZT2dSv4J7oVMYLNaDA1n8s5NLy