Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
1/18/13 5:49 p.m.

Changed the plugs in the Mazda5 just now because it's been a little slow to start in the cold, I figured the OE Iridiums were worn and felt it was worth the $$$ to replace them now (88K) than later (100K service interval IIRC).

Worn a little on 2-4, but #1 was coated in oil, and lots of it. Fresh, too. Please tell me there's some silly valve cover o-ring or something that could be leaking...

(#1 is the one closest to the accessory drive BTW, I have to change the belt, too)

EvanB
EvanB PowerDork
1/18/13 5:51 p.m.

Which part of the plug is coated in oil?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
1/18/13 5:56 p.m.

If it's like a Miata, it's a bad valve cover gasket. I'm assuming you're not blowing dramatic amounts of oil or you would have mentioned it...

Fletch1
Fletch1 HalfDork
1/18/13 5:56 p.m.

I had the same problem with my 91 Civic Si. I got a valve cover gasket set which included tube seals. It fixed the problem. Not sure that's your problem, but it's a thought.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
1/18/13 5:57 p.m.

Top (the socket came out oily)and bottom (electrode was coated, I could see oil on the piston top in the hole). Yes, the plus was still tight. No, the 5 hasn't lost/eaten any oil until now.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
1/18/13 5:59 p.m.

In reply to Fletch1:

The 2.3 doesn't have tubes or tube seals. Very odd design.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim PowerDork
1/18/13 6:08 p.m.

Checked the breather system? Maybe the PCV has taken a semi-permanent vacation?

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltraDork
1/18/13 6:21 p.m.
Javelin wrote: Top (the socket came out oily)*and* bottom (electrode was coated, I could see oil on the piston top in the hole). Yes, the plus was still tight. No, the 5 hasn't lost/eaten any oil until now.

When you screwed the plug out, the oil in the tube drained into the cylinder and coated the electrode and piston top.

Its getting in there past a tube seal, or a valve cover, or a porous casting, or something like that.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
1/18/13 6:33 p.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy:

Makes sense. The valve cover only covers the cams though. There's an aluminum "valley" where all the plugs go, that's underneath the valve cover. It's open from front to back, so why wasn't there oil anywhere else? No tubes or seals. The plug screws right into the head, and the coil-on-plug boot covers the whole thing.

fanfoy
fanfoy Reader
1/18/13 7:10 p.m.

I have noticed a lot of early Mazda3 and Mazda6 popping up locally with blown engines recently. Hope for you this is not your case. Actually, since I have a Mazda5 as well, I too hope its not another case of blown engine

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltraDork
1/18/13 7:31 p.m.

There is still a hole where the spark plug sits, and if the valve cover gasket is leaking right above that plug hole...

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
1/18/13 10:05 p.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy:

I'd have to draw you a picture, but trust me, the spark plug hole isn't normal. The valve cover gasket is like a box in a box, the center of the head (where the plugs are) is sealed off. Ontop of that, the COP's cover the hole entrance. I mean, obviously I got oil in there somehow, but it's not like any other motor I've seen.

Vigo
Vigo UltraDork
1/18/13 10:20 p.m.

Javelin, i just want you to know that on my screen your user name is now a hotlink to a free credit report site.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
1/18/13 10:55 p.m.

In reply to Vigo:

Que? I don't see any ads or links anywhere on GRM *Firefox with AdBlock), but I'm pretty sure even the ones that are supposed to be there, aren't supposed to use usernames!

mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
1/18/13 11:20 p.m.

It's probably an adsense widget that got into Vigos PC. As far as the Mazderp, they have a horrendous issue with oil blowby/etc due to the single worst PCV system ever invented. If you're at it, buy the tool from Ford (it's the same one they use on the Duratecs) and change that out. It's unpleasant, but will save you trouble in the long run

dculberson
dculberson SuperDork
1/19/13 8:14 a.m.

Is this the 2.3 you have?

I'm pretty sure there are still tube seals on there. The valley where the plugs are is just a depression in a large rectangular valve cover. It might look like it "only covers the camshafts," but that is not the case. Rock Auto says that their Victor Reinz valve cover gasket includes spark plug tube seals, so you definitely have tube seals on that car.

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 Reader
1/19/13 8:18 a.m.

Yup, sounds like a simple case of leaking tube seals. They leaked on my CR-V, and they leak on pretty much every new Nissan or Infiniti that has plastic valve covers-the kicker there is that you have to buy a new cover, the seals don't come separately.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
1/19/13 12:07 p.m.

In reply to dculberson:

Nope, mine looks different. Very similar, but clearly a different valve cover, COP setup, and wiring harness for sure. I'll go take pictures.

Parts counter said my car didn't have a PCV! Surely it must have something in the system I can replace? Or at least clean?!?

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
1/19/13 12:11 p.m.

Hmmm, looks like the"inside" square on my car has gaskets. Looky:

Looks like the mini square is for cyl #1 and the medium square covers 2-4. That would make sense as to why I only have it in #1, even though the space looks open all the way. Also, no tube seals. So if this part leaks, that must be how it's getting in.

dculberson
dculberson SuperDork
1/20/13 3:35 p.m.

Bizarro valve cover.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
1/20/13 3:53 p.m.

Should actually be a square for #1, rectangle for #2 and #3, and another square for #4.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
1/20/13 11:40 p.m.

In reply to Swank Force One:

That is the "improved" VC gasket kit. Apparently the picture I posted is the "original" design, which presumably my first-year, original, 5 still has.

I ordered the upgraded kit, will tackle it next weekend.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
1/21/13 9:22 a.m.
Javelin wrote: In reply to Swank Force One: That is the "improved" VC gasket kit. Apparently the picture I posted is the "original" design, which presumably my first-year, original, 5 still has. I ordered the upgraded kit, will tackle it next weekend.

Ah, nice.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TOF3gOiLJwla0cJYCgeBZU0NBI9LjnmIieqbmCY02JCgqWVol71uDtW31Hy3yQY6