1 2 3 4 5
Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/10/22 11:06 a.m.

In reply to Toyman! :

That's good to hear and makes me feel a bit better about longevity. 

I stand by my comment about the oil. In my experience VAG turbo engines are picky about oil and owners often balk at the cost and try to go cheap. 

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
8/10/22 11:38 a.m.

German anything seems to benifit from good oil. You could make the argument that what they really benifit from is more frequent changes.   My Merc gets new oil every 3-4K or so. While the recommended frequency is something like 7k.  At 150 k total miles the inside of the motor looks new and the turbos are working like new.  The oil that comes out is always very clean looking. Like the color of honey. I use it in my truck and in my power equipment. The rest goes to my friends oil burner tank that heats his garage in the winter.  

Slippery
Slippery PowerDork
8/10/22 11:44 a.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

You put used oil in your truck? How much is that saving you?

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
8/10/22 11:48 a.m.

All this leads back to German cars are much more sensitive to maintenance. And this starts with oil changes. 10 quart changes with the recommended mobile one euro spec oil is pricey but a bunch cheeper than if you use cheep oil and wait until it looks like liquid tar.  Same goes for belts, hoses,bushings, ball joints, filters, and tires.  Owning a German car comes at a price. Unforchinitly as someone here said many are killed and get a bad reputation from owners with an appetite for steak that are on a hot dog budget. 

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
8/10/22 11:49 a.m.
Slippery said:

In reply to dean1484 :

You put used oil in your truck? How much is that saving you?

It has 400k. Seems to be doing ok so far. It also is not German.  I think you could put anything in it and it would be just fine.   Rust is going to be what kills it. The rockers have long since disappeared. Cab corners are looking bad.  At this point it is a mobile holding devise for a well seasoned 6.0 block.   laugh

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
8/10/22 3:20 p.m.

At this point, I'm a week into ownership. It still has 1/4 of a tank of fuel left. By my math, it should get around 650-700 miles on a tank at highway speeds. 

That's pretty impressive.

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
8/10/22 3:25 p.m.

I use Mobil 1 ESP 5w30 in my cayenne diesel, change it every 5k miles.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/10/22 3:33 p.m.
Toyman! said:

At this point, I'm a week into ownership. It still has 1/4 of a tank of fuel left. By my math, it should get around 650-700 miles on a tank at highway speeds. 

That's pretty impressive.

salesman snuck up your driveway with a 5-gal Jerry can to make up for the fubar air filter.

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
8/10/22 3:42 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

Ha! 

It has a huge tank for its size, 26.4 gal. I guess to feed the thirsty v8 that is available in the Cayenne. 

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
8/13/22 7:11 a.m.

Looks like I'm going to average about 24-25 mpg around town.

That's a fair amount better than the Ridgeline at 15-16 mpg. 

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
8/13/22 9:52 a.m.

My wife averages 27-28 in her Cayenne Diesel, twice what my land cruiser gets.  Really wish toyota had brought their V8 diesel motor for the land cruiser here!

kb58
kb58 SuperDork
8/13/22 10:16 a.m.
jr02518 said:

...I have no dilutions about maintenance on this car...

I recommended using undiluted fluids for best performance cheeky

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
8/18/22 9:04 p.m.

Towed the boat about 150 miles today. What a beast!

And managed 13.3 mpg.

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
8/22/22 6:16 p.m.

340 miles all in this trip. Towing the boat for all but 15 miles. The fuel economy settled at 14.6 and stayed there. I thought that was pretty good. It pulled the hills without a fuss. All in I am very impressed with it so far. 

Now to see how it does long term.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
8/22/22 9:11 p.m.

Emery time I see the title to this thread I hear this song. 

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
9/8/22 8:47 a.m.

The Touareg got a new set of shoes yesterday. I prefer to run AT tires on my work vehicles because I never know what kind of job sites I will end up on. I also wanted a little heavier tire for towing. 

With that in mind, I mounted a set of Falken Rubitrek AT tires. These are between the Wildpeak AT3 and the Wildpeak AT Trail tires. A little more road-friendly tread than the AT3s with a little heavier carcass than the AT Trail for towing. These are also a little larger. A 265/60R18 instead of a 255/55R18

20220908_084316.jpg

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
9/8/22 1:53 p.m.

I'm running the AT3's on my Land Cruiser.  They're awesome in the snow here...

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
9/19/22 1:12 p.m.

I put 680 miles on it this weekend on a trip to Ashville NC and back plus some cruising in the mountains. 

Of note. It only burned one tank of fuel while getting 25 mpg average. 

It hauls 4 people and their luggage without any drama. 

It is just as at home on a gravel road deep in the mountains as it is in the valet lane at the Biltmore Inn. 

759NRNG
759NRNG UberDork
9/19/22 9:57 p.m.

This is very interesting. How many miles on it when you  pulled the trigger? Any other niggling boogers so far? Liking the mileage numbers ALOT...........

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
9/20/22 8:22 a.m.

In reply to 759NRNG :

95k when I bought it. The only issue is it's due for shocks. Everything else works perfectly.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/20/22 11:52 a.m.

it holds 28 gallons?

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
9/20/22 1:24 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

It has a huge tank. Probably to feed the optional 631 horsepower and 626 pound-feet of torque V8 that is available in the Cayenne Turbo GT.

That's one of my favorite features. I can run several weeks around town on a tank. 

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
9/20/22 1:46 p.m.

The gas tank holds 26.7 gallons

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
9/20/22 2:08 p.m.

I'm going to have to do the math on the next couple of tanks. The computer must be off a little. I may be getting better than the 25 it is posting.

Could be due to the plus-size tires I'm running. The speedo is off about 3 mph. 

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
10/17/22 10:39 a.m.

This weekend the Touareg got a bath and a Malone Stage 2 tune. 

The tune significantly improves drivability all through the RPM range. The throttle delay and turbo lag were very noticeable when I bought it. This apparently happened when VW applied the diesel gate fix. It was especially annoying in traffic. With the new tune, throttle inputs are much smoother and the throttle delay and turbo lag are much reduced.

The tune takes it from 240 hp and 406 tq, to 305 hp and 490 tq while keeping all the emissions equipment. It was pretty quick before but off the line acceleration is now giggle inducing. From what I've read, it also looks like the fuel economy will stay about the same. I will have to keep an eye on it over the next few tanks. 

She cleans up pretty well. 

20221016_180109.jpg

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kolseVkiSCmfffkqzQcE0kiPsUzhYP1n7nb9QsHeXzSZ0LlVHmBXmXtxILLWWsTI