Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones New Reader
7/4/19 8:04 p.m.

It looks like a decent one can be had for $5-6k, really nice for $9k, project for $2k. 

These look like simple, fun, summer toys. Other than floor pans and electrical, anything to look out for? I realize a real Manx is pricey, just looking for a cars and coffee runner. 

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ Dork
7/4/19 8:14 p.m.

I think they are built on a shortened non-Super beetle chassis.  Once ubiquitous, a running bug is kinda rare now.  Good luck sourcing one around here.  There was also a Corvair conversion as can be seen in The Thomas Crown Affair.  

https://youtu.be/ejUW1cmS34A

https://youtu.be/PYYPJ-ExM-M

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia HalfDork
7/4/19 8:29 p.m.

Bruce Meyers  did the first ones , they are pretty collectable , 

But demand outstripped what Bruce could supply , so many other companies started making them too , 

Most used a bug chassis with 14 inches cut out of the center , but there are longer bodies that use a full lchassis.

At one time there were 50-100 companies making bodies , 

Any other questions just ask :)

noddaz
noddaz SuperDork
7/4/19 8:38 p.m.

Nothing to add other than I have wanted one for years.

Stampie
Stampie PowerDork
7/4/19 8:46 p.m.

Biggest pitfall is street legal due to local laws on titles and such. 

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia HalfDork
7/4/19 8:47 p.m.

Look up EMPI   IMP , it looks  "finished" with the side pods

also look up Barris Mini T , they are cute for a street car, 

they  all use standard VW mechanical stuff , motor , transaxle , brakes,  front suspension ,

Good luck in the hunt

rustyvw
rustyvw Dork
7/4/19 9:26 p.m.

I would check with your local DMV before you do anything.  Some states won't issue titles for them anymore.

If you want something new, check with Berrien Buggy.  They can supply most anything you need.  

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
7/4/19 9:39 p.m.

A short wheelbase foberglass body buggy can very easily lift the front wheels off the ground if you are a little overaggressive with the clutch, even with a stock 1600 motor.

buzzboy
buzzboy HalfDork
7/5/19 6:21 a.m.

I used to work for a place that rented them. They're fun, simple cruisers. My boss had a plethora of bodies in storage and put together a few while I was there. It's a simple wiring harness should anything be wonky. The lack of a real body makes working on the mechanicals very easy. I've been dreaming about owning one. 

My favorite one was his Meyers Tow'd. Here's his rental/personal collection.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
7/5/19 6:24 a.m.

I’d vote for a Deserter GS with a Corvair swap, if you can find one. 

rustyvw
rustyvw Dork
7/5/19 7:11 p.m.

In reply to buzzboy :

Is that the place in Hatteras North Carolina? 

buzzboy
buzzboy HalfDork
7/5/19 8:44 p.m.

In reply to rustyvw :

Hatteras Island, yep. He's up in the village Salvo.

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
7/6/19 6:01 a.m.

I was lucky enough to drive Tim’s from the dragstrip to the hotel at the $2004 Challenge. I walked away thinking “I need one of these, in the most hideous bass-boat paint imaginable, in the worst way.”

Definitely a “visceral” driving experience; like riding a quad on the street. I still want one.

SlowNB
SlowNB New Reader
7/6/19 7:51 a.m.

I have owned two. I basically learned how to wrench on cars rebuilding what I believe to be an original Manx (never actually verified) in collage, it was basically stock ‘67 beetle running gear. I also built one using a berrien buggies chassis, body, Subaru EJ22t engine, and lots of 944 turbo and 993 parts. That much power hanging off the back with that short of a wheelbase and sticky 255 rear tires made for an.... interesting handling car.

I would love to build another one with a mid engine chassis and real suspension. They are a great fun cruising machine!

If you are just looking for something fun to cruise around in, I recommend keeping it fairly stock beetle underneath. That will will be easy to work on and super cheap to maintain. 

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo SuperDork
7/6/19 8:18 a.m.

I rented one in Mexico.  It was a riot.  A man needs a lot of courage to drive an unlicensed (plates were 5 years expired), rear-brakes-only, no lights or signals, on 4 mismatched worn out chinese tires, somewhat running dune buggy on the streets of Puerto Vallarta.  Still one of the most fun things I have spent $50 on.  Didn't tell the wife till after we got back to the condo about all the faults.  

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
uv1lirqveersS0OuSMkhZFZqFFRvwk4gLFsrq52wfNPSnUhydZXXekoz6QODO22d