1 2
Toyman01 + Sized and
Toyman01 + Sized and MegaDork
4/27/21 4:16 p.m.

I broke down and bought a Hero 9 a couple of months ago. It has actually been fairly user friendly. No real complaints so far. Pretty much the exact opposite of my Hero 4 Black.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
4/27/21 8:26 p.m.
aw614 said:

This is the audio I get without an external mic from the Xiaomi Yi 4k+ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeS3-yTZuWM

And here is one from the GoPro Hero 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYfg2SEHRv0&t=6s

The GoPro sounds a lot more natural. But I am running a plastic enclosure around the camera whereas I am not on the Xiaomi. 

Yeah, there is probably some of that going on.  But again, I'd rather have reliable video and mediocre sound than unreliable video with great sound.  Here's some vid from the SJCAM  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbcKSSnQNnk

Note that is a ~2015?  camera.  Its 720p and I'm sure the visual quality of ALL cameras has increased a ton since then.

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom UltimaDork
4/28/21 4:22 p.m.

Me:
I'm just trying to find out whether there's a replacement product for the Virb action cameras. I'm looking for one camera for mountain biking, autocross, and other general use.

Garmin:
Thank you for contacting Garmin. I am sorry for the inconvenience.
I am sorry to say that no , we do not have a replacement for this device.

Well, heck.

Rodan
Rodan Dork
5/5/21 9:23 p.m.

Used the Mobius Mini last weekend, hardwired and set to start recording with external power on.  Worked great!

I had it set to the narrow field of view, but I might try the wider angle next time out.

LanEvo
LanEvo Dork
5/6/21 2:22 p.m.

I was looking at the Insta360 One R Twin. Any feedback?

For racing, the BMW CCA now mandates front and rear cameras. I figure one centrally mounted 360 camera might be easier than balancing multiple GoPros or whatever.

Rodan
Rodan Dork
5/9/21 8:00 a.m.

In reply to LanEvo :

The Mobius camera I used for the above video is under $100... and it's the size of a pack of gum.  Two of them on one rollbar mount would cover front/rear for less than 1/2 the cost of that 360 cam.  Hard wire to a switched 12v source with a usb/ 5v converter (around $10 on Amazon), and configure to record with external power on and you're good to go.

GPz11 (Forum Supporter)
GPz11 (Forum Supporter) Reader
5/30/21 5:14 p.m.

OK, finally got out to am autocross today and tossed the camera on the side of the car. This is the SJCAM SJ4000 Air 4K for $60 off Amazon.

Damn, I need to work on my bingo wings! laugh

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose SuperDork
5/30/21 5:17 p.m.

I'm partial to the Garmin VIRB, but that's in large part to how well it plays with SoloStorm.  

IMO GoPro has been resting on their laurels as the biggest name in action cams for a loooong time.

RossD
RossD MegaDork
5/30/21 6:07 p.m.

I like my gopro hero 7 white. 

no complaints.

the app makes nice  videos:

I literally did no editing of that video, only selecting a few options and picking music.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
5/30/21 6:20 p.m.

In reply to SnowMongoose :

Compatibility with SoloStorm is one of the reasons I bought my VIRB. That, and not wanting to ever buy another GoPro.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6p7u2wQD3it5UPWDmTpxXUWFIQFM36l1EUBmVM9FH8in7edwAoJYW05GZh4pC1bX