1 2
mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Dork
3/22/20 12:40 p.m.
friedgreencorrado said:

In reply to mr2s2000elise :

I was actually shopping S2k's before my layoff. :D Oh, those cars..

Fantastic cars. I daily drove my AP1 for 165K miles, before it got stolen. Bought new in 01.  I replaced it with a 07 AP2, I still have.  Reason I personally got away from Ludes after 1994, was the rear seats were almost unuseable. My 91 Civic Si Hatchback and all the Integra coupes I have had since, were all excellent usable 4 seaters, for my needs. 

I still often shop Type SH on BAT, and almost bought one last year, but instead ended up with a 4 Door 01 Integra GSR.  Never warmed up to the RSX though.

I always had  a soft spot for Scirocco and Corrado (Vr6 version), and test drove a few. However, never could convince myself to purchase a VW product. When I am in Singapore these days, the roads are littered with the new Scirocco which looks gorgeous.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado UltimaDork
3/22/20 1:07 p.m.

In reply to mr2s2000elise :

The RSX was kind of a panic buy. I went from making  $52K a year to  $29K. I loved my Corrados, but my first thought after the first paycheck was, "Oh, berk! I gotta get another Honda!" 

Bought it with 150K, put another 150K on it. Not really a good handler, even RealTime Racing couldn't straighten one out. Good looking, though. And still chugging along.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Dork
3/22/20 1:32 p.m.

Yeah I have a TSX Wagon, and I love the k24 in that car. However, to me the B16/B17/B18 were the real sweet spots. My TSX Wagon is such a better quality car than my 01 GSR sedan. However, driving feel, I love the GSR sedan 10x more. 

friedgreencorrado
3/22/20 3:02 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Ok, now I'm drooling. The Ronals are *so* sweet!

friedgreencorrado
3/22/20 3:32 p.m.

Couple of folks asked for interior pix, so here's a few. Like I said, not very cherry. Repro carpet's only about 150 bucks, I'll throw one in when I swap the seats back around.

That shop manual is actually the one I bought after buying my car in '83. It's what sports car people did then, 'buy the car, buy the book' (most were from the UK, or Continental Europe). I'd heard about Japanese build quality back then, but had not experienced it first-hand. I sold my 'Lude only three years later (wanted something faster), the book doesn't have a smudge of dirt on any page. I don't think the car ate anything but consumables for the short time I had it.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UltraDork
3/22/20 6:20 p.m.

Interior has held up really well! I figured it would. I had a 5spd 1988 Accord LX-i handed down to me that was black with a cream cloth interior that stayed remarkably clean. It was faster 0-60 than it had any right to be.

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
3/22/20 6:30 p.m.

In reply to friedgreencorrado :

The Haynes was always better than the Children's.

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
3/22/20 7:09 p.m.

DUDE! I'm glad you're still around!!!

friedgreencorrado
3/22/20 9:14 p.m.
poopshovel again said:

DUDE! I'm glad you're still around!!!

Yeah, I'm still here. Was just lurking for a few years because I wasn't doing any car stuff. Sent a lot of 'thumbs up' to posts without comment. Reading the boards every morning during my 'morning constitutional'. Bunch of thumbs up on threads, even though I didn't comment on 'em.

Got some health problems, but I can still drive a lil' bit. Took this little one out today through Red Top Mountain Road. Got tailgated, even though I was already running 10 over. Bent my toe, and left the berkeleyer behind in an instant. 2G Preludes handle *so* good. Got lucky, there were no cops out today.

grover
grover HalfDork
3/22/20 9:27 p.m.

I had an 87 accord LX-i and can confirm it was FI. Wonderful car with a 5 speed. I miss it. 

Vigo
Vigo MegaDork
3/23/20 10:21 p.m.

When those old carbed Hondas worked, they worked great.

That's been my experience too. A working carbed 80s Honda works extremely well compared to most of the other carbureted stuff i've ever driven. 

friedgreencorrado
5/28/20 3:51 a.m.

Thread from the dead, but here we go. I hit a *big* piece of debris with the RSX a couple of weeks ago (Atlanta Metro folks might remember that big crash on I75N in Marietta..seems that no one swept the road after the vehicles were cleared). Cracked the fuel tank, and once the sun came up the added pressure in the tank blew a hole in it the size of a golf ball.

Before I realized that, I played around with it the next day, and heard the difference in the sound when it jumped timing. As I've previously mentioned, I used half of my "saving up for a new DD" money for the 'Lude.  Had restored some of the dough, but the RSX got hurt that bad just a lil' bit before I could replace it.

I was already into my "Trusted Ally" shop for half of the DD money I'd replaced, just for the tank replacement. Gonna take the other half for timing chain replacement (Service Advisor said he'd never seen a Honda K 'do that', but he also said he'd never seen one with 300K on it, either. :D ). So I told 'em to do it. I figure it'll work out better than buying anything cheaper than a $1500 car to do DD duty.

That being said, I'm absolutely astonished at how well my Little One (yes, she has earned a name) is doing as a commuter, instead of being my recreation. It's like every time I apologize to the thing, she tells me, "Hey! I might be an *old* Honda - but I'm still a *Honda*!"

Still keeps up with modern traffic here (70-80mph), but..egad, that brake knockoff when I have to get on them at speed.

Partsgeek claims they have Raybestos rotors, has anyone had experience with PG?

Even after the RSX is fixed and Little One doesn't have to do DD duty anymore, I'll still want to take her to a Radwood show somewhere. That will probably require some time on the Interstate.

Mod Squad..should this thread go to the 'Builds and Projects' place?

Partsgeek claim that they have discs (and also for the rear, as well):

https://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/1984/honda/prelude/brake/brake_rotor.html

Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter)
Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter) Dork
5/28/20 5:38 a.m.
friedgreencorrado said:

Thread from the dead, but here we go. I hit a *big* piece of debris with the RSX a couple of weeks ago (Atlanta Metro folks might remember that big crash on I75N in Marietta..seems that no one swept the road after the vehicles were cleared). Cracked the fuel tank, and once the sun came up the added pressure in the tank blew a hole in it the size of a golf ball.

Before I realized that, I played around with it the next day, and heard the difference in the sound when it jumped timing. As I've previously mentioned, I used half of my "saving up for a new DD" money for the 'Lude.  Had restored some of the dough, but the RSX got hurt that bad just a lil' bit before I could replace it.

I was already into my "Trusted Ally" shop for half of the DD money I'd replaced, just for the tank replacement. Gonna take the other half for timing chain replacement (Service Advisor said he'd never seen a Honda K 'do that', but he also said he'd never seen one with 300K on it, either. :D ). So I told 'em to do it. I figure it'll work out better than buying anything cheaper than a $1500 car to do DD duty.

That being said, I'm absolutely astonished at how well my Little One (yes, she has earned a name) is doing as a commuter, instead of being my recreation. It's like every time I apologize to the thing, she tells me, "Hey! I might be an *old* Honda - but I'm still a *Honda*!"

Still keeps up with modern traffic here (70-80mph), but..egad, that brake knockoff when I have to get on them at speed.

Partsgeek claims they have Raybestos rotors, has anyone had experience with PG?

Even after the RSX is fixed and Little One doesn't have to do DD duty anymore, I'll still want to take her to a Radwood show somewhere. That will probably require some time on the Interstate.

Mod Squad..should this thread go to the 'Builds and Projects' place?

Partsgeek claim that they have discs (and also for the rear, as well):

https://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/1984/honda/prelude/brake/brake_rotor.html

I'm a Rockauto man myself so I went over there and punched in your car to check. Rocautok is cheaper than Partsgeek on those exact same Raybestos rotors. Then throw the R/A forum discount on top of that and save even more coin.

I love your car. I am infatuated with elderly Hondas and am convinced that history will reflect that 80s and 90s era Hondas are the finest quality machinery ever built by humans. 

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/28/20 8:39 a.m.

The first car I ever wrenched on was an 84 prelude. My parents bought it new, sold it when I was 14 to a girl who overheated the bejeezus out of it, and then my dad bought it back for me when I was about to turn 16. 

Dad had a shop look at it and they told him it needed carbs (it didn't) so Dad bought carbs and I replaced them. Oh the vacuum hoses. Got it running, but only on two cylinders. Turns out the head was warped or the head gasket blown (makes much more sense with the overheat story). I was never able to get the head off, I think due to trouble with the crank pulley bolt and also a giant hard metal line, I think an EGR tube or something. 

It was dark blue, and yes, it really was a good looking car. I only ever drove it up and down the street a couple times (on two cylinders, you learn how to feather the clutch lol)

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
5/28/20 9:20 a.m.

There is a certain type of joy that comes from small (usually) Japanese cars.  I love my 94 Sentra with the SR20.  There are not many cars more fun than an Integra.  Unless there is a baby seat or a carpool involved, a guy really doesn't need much more.

Edit: Small 80's 90's early 00 cars.

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
5/28/20 9:40 a.m.
Vigo said:

When those old carbed Hondas worked, they worked great.

That's been my experience too. A working carbed 80s Honda works extremely well compared to most of the other carbureted stuff i've ever driven. 

Removing all the emissions junk helps. It's a quick afternoon project.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Vq68cOntNE5ZTLVWZ9aiaEb9IJqVsofF7MikDSmhpBm6DnlRDqgfaMqPSDsyCgX4