1 2
thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago Dork
10/4/09 1:35 a.m.

My dad sent me some scans of his dad's old work truck and his brother's sprite. I forget when the pictures were taken but it was definitely a while ago. I though you guys would like to see them so here you go:

Photobucket

Photobucket

mad_machine
mad_machine SuperDork
10/4/09 1:41 a.m.

nice sprite.. makes me miss mine all the more

bamalama
bamalama Reader
10/4/09 8:19 a.m.

Any more of the Dodge? My boss has one just like that.

NYG95GA
NYG95GA SuperDork
10/4/09 8:55 a.m.

Old school cool!

aeronca65t
aeronca65t HalfDork
10/4/09 9:24 a.m.

Nice Bugeye. We had an old truck like that too. I actually have an entire webpage of "old pictures" that I have from "back in the day". I've pasted in a few below so you can get an idea of what I have. To see the entire page ~Click Here~

ratghia
ratghia Reader
10/4/09 12:36 p.m.

These are all pictures of a 1953 VW/Porsche race car built by Rometsch. It was turned into a street car in the late 50's and was found in a garage a few weeks ago. The current owner is restoring it to use for vintage racing.

JFX001
JFX001 Dork
10/4/09 1:45 p.m.
aeronca65t wrote: Nice Bugeye. We had an old truck like that too. I actually have an entire webpage of "old pictures" that I have from "back in the day". I've pasted in a few below so you can get an idea of what I have. To see the entire page ~Click Here~

Excellent site!

Appleseed
Appleseed Dork
10/4/09 1:47 p.m.

The "TEST" script scrawled into dust is soooo GRM. I like it.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/4/09 1:57 p.m.

Nice shots. My dad has been scanning his old photos, too. I've snuck one or two into Classic Motorsports. I know there's a lot more to be scanned.

cwh
cwh Dork
10/4/09 2:07 p.m.

That was one helluva yard. Lot's of room for projects.

oldsaw
oldsaw Reader
10/4/09 2:12 p.m.

Sweet!

Much like my first car, minus the fender-mounted mirrors.

Woody
Woody SuperDork
10/4/09 8:24 p.m.

I love "back in the day" photos.

and of course, this quote:

One time when we were in the pits at the end of the day, Roger Penske asked me to get Mark Donahue a beer......so I did.

pete240z
pete240z Dork
10/4/09 8:56 p.m.

those old pictures are awesome!

cwh
cwh Dork
10/4/09 10:43 p.m.

"One time when we were in the pits at the end of the day, Roger Penske asked me to get Mark Donahue a beer......so I did." FTW

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku Reader
10/5/09 9:45 a.m.

Sounds like everyones Dad had a Bugeye back then. Mine bought his new in Europe while he was in the Army. Brought it home with him and kept a few years before selling it. Was one of his favorite cars.

pete240z
pete240z Dork
10/7/09 3:26 p.m.

Great Lakes Drag Strip - Union Grove, Wisconsin. The summer of 1976. I just graduated eighth grade and had just bought my first 35mm SLR. Mamiya/Sekor.

My dad's friend dropped us off at the gate and we watched cars all day long and then he picked us up at the gate. Where he went we never knew?????

ckosacranoid
ckosacranoid HalfDork
10/8/09 7:58 p.m.

cool pic of the grove, and its right in the back yard where i grew up....and still not that far from me now.....

jwc38
jwc38 New Reader
10/9/09 1:55 p.m.

In reply to Gearheadotaku:

not dad, uncle had a bugeye, when I was still a kid they rolled it out of the barn and tinkered with it enough to get it running, drove it around a field. I should really find out what happened to it.

griffin729
griffin729 Reader
10/9/09 2:03 p.m.

My dad had a Fiat Spyder of some sort. Haven't seen the pictures in years, and he got rid of it before my older sister was born.

Kreb
Kreb UberDork
8/22/19 5:50 p.m.

Got to love a zombie thread!

​​​​​​

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 HalfDork
8/22/19 6:46 p.m.

In reply to aeronca65t :

Hey I took the one of Doc Baker!

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/22/19 6:48 p.m.

Zombie threads are cool. 

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 HalfDork
8/22/19 6:53 p.m.

This one is my parents before my conception.

Cooter
Cooter UltraDork
8/22/19 7:07 p.m.

Here's a few of my dad and his different Fuel Altereds-

Bakersfield, said to be '65, where they won their class at the March Meet in Famosa, hailed as a throwdown between the west coast and the rest of the country,

Earlier version, without the tonneau cover over the cockpit.

Note the "zoomies" in this photo, as well as the last one in this post.  They used 2" electrical conduit 90s for their exhaust. Grassroots to the core.

1964, beating the Quality Auto car out at the March Meet in Bakersfield.  (also where I was conceived) 

I have read that they won their class here, as well, but I need to confirm.

Glamour Shot, taken at the filtration plant on the east side of Chicago.  When I was a kid, my dad told me they picked the number "69" so that the car would have the same number upside down as right side up.  I faithfully repeated this to anyone who would listen...  until I hit puberty.

Not sure where this one was taken, the color was "Candy Tangerine Metalflake", but everyone just called it orange, anyway.

Both my father and "Snag" O'Donnell drove the car at times, and my dad said they would each hang the hoops different directions when they carried the front end.

That's him in the firesuit shooting Super 8 at the track between rounds.  I have a bunch of film and photos and a magazine or two to convert to digital.  He's nearly 84, and doesn't have much time left.

I am editing this as I dig up more info, and will make a new thread from this post eventually, so I can continue to add information to it, as I remember stories, find more information, and ask my dad questions.

Rons
Rons Reader
8/22/19 10:16 p.m.

In light of the thread revival Westwood 60th movie https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=M6d31EQrJK0

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WeHjFaMvCqSxJqzzT8of1ce5d5zMLcKk9Gb2U6qai3QjVX8HDTxPcDi8Yxgz6k5L