2 3 4 5 6
slowbird
slowbird Dork
3/12/20 12:01 p.m.
oldeskewltoy said:

Alright... ... paint "experiment"  using photoshop, or other graphics program... lets see how those colors would look....  As far as your "canvas"... this is the best I can do for the time being....

Please forgive my terrible attempt:

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UberDork
4/5/20 6:48 p.m.

Calling all GRM "engineers"......   the first fitment....

and......... the factory steering has to go.... and I need solutions...   

There is not enough clearance.   To preemptively answer questions..  lower doesn't make fitment any better, higher it can't go.  Forward as much as possible and it still interferes.... further back exacerbates the bad fitment....

So I could really use the GRM brain-trust to help re-engineer the steering...  the angles will not be easy, although there is a structure @ the base of the steering column that a bearing could be added, and a 2 universal shaft should make the connection a bit easier...  current thoughts are trying to fit a Pinto type rack - mostly as this is a common rack to swap, and there art many "tuning" options for it.   

Correct me if I'm wrong... but rack placement would be approximately where the center link sweep is???   

Yes, I could really use the hives help............

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
4/5/20 8:33 p.m.

You are correct with regard to the rack placement. Pinto rack will not work because this is a rear steer car, and Fords have the rack in front of the king pin axis. There is a rack out there, but I do not know which one off the top of my head, at least not a common one, Elva Courier Mk1 wouldsurprise

Racingsnake
Racingsnake New Reader
4/5/20 9:01 p.m.

Dodge Omni is rear steer I believe and was fairly commonly used in hot rods for a while so may still be fairly easy to get.

Do the spindles have bolt on steering arms? Might be easier to make some new ones up and put a Pinto style rack up front to give yourself more space.

Love this project by the way, looking forward to seeing it come together.

mblommel
mblommel Dork
4/5/20 9:10 p.m.

The steering box location looks very similar to a 1st generation Mustang. I know there are several rack and pinion retrofit options for those so maybe take a look at the Mustang aftermarket for inspiration. 

Edit: Googled around a bit and the low buck Mustang guys are using GM J body racks for their conversions. Not sure how wide the track width is in comparison, but it might be something to at least look at. 

Racingsnake
Racingsnake New Reader
4/5/20 9:18 p.m.
mblommel said:

The steering box location looks very similar to a 1st generation Mustang. I know there are several rack and pinion retrofit options for those so maybe take a look at the Mustang aftermarket for inspiration. 

Good point

Don49 (Forum Supporter)
Don49 (Forum Supporter) Dork
4/5/20 11:27 p.m.

Look at late 80's Honda Accord or Prelude.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UberDork
4/6/20 10:16 a.m.

While the steering arms themselves are removable - to make it steering in front, the sub-frame is built in such a way that a rear steer system is far more feasible.

Here is the column

wspohn
wspohn Dork
4/6/20 10:32 a.m.

Looked at the other thread. What a lovely engine!

If you were doing this in Britain, you have used a Daimler hemi (maybe the 4.5 limo size) in something like an Austin....

Stefan (Forum Supporter)
Stefan (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/6/20 11:46 a.m.

VW Golf is rear steer and MK1 units are relatively narrow.

AngryCorvair (Baller)
AngryCorvair (Baller) MegaDork
4/6/20 11:52 a.m.

i think a lot of transverse FWD's are rear steer.  time for a junkyard walk!

mjrj
mjrj New Reader
4/6/20 1:53 p.m.

How about 4th generation Civic/CRX/Sedan/wagon?  Is rear steer, could be manual or power.

matthewmcl (Forum Supporter)
matthewmcl (Forum Supporter) Reader
4/6/20 1:57 p.m.

I have both manual and ps VW mk1 steering racks sitting on the floor of my garage, at the moment, if you need measurements.  They are getting a little thin these days, though.  I would pull something later if starting from scratch, but I can still measure for you if you need.

Matthew

wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L)
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) UltraDork
4/6/20 4:14 p.m.

Basically, you want the rack mounted at the same level as your lower control arms, and that will get you through a lot of the geometry issues by finding a rack that had an inner ball joint to inner ball joint measurement the same as the distance between inner lower A-arm pivots. Then, steering arms, out at the wheel will have to come down/in to be in line with the lower ball joint.

I hope that makes sense, and of course, opinions are like noseswink

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UberDork
4/9/20 3:47 p.m.

So off to the restorer...........

where she arrives...

and gets the garage where Anthoni (photo to follow) will fabricate the new steering (he has been following along with the GRM responses - thank you, and continue....) along with the full restoration (strip, eliminate rust, re-coat/reseal, rebuild, finish body work, and re-assemble)

introducing... Anthoni....

more to come........ wink

Ethnic Food-Wrap Aficionado
Ethnic Food-Wrap Aficionado Dork
4/9/20 6:04 p.m.

Anthoni and I went dirt bike riding together a few times a couple of years ago.  He's as nice as the come and a talented guy, too.  The car is certainly in good hands.

Haven't seen him in a year or two, so he must have figured out he's too cool for me.  Which, to be fair, is fair.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UberDork
4/10/20 10:21 a.m.

Hmmmm, dark cherry red???

java230
java230 UberDork
4/10/20 11:54 a.m.

In reply to oldeskewltoy :

Candy Brandy wine is my vote if your in that color scheme!!! 

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UberDork
4/17/20 5:22 p.m.
java230 said:

Candy Brandy wine is my vote if your in that color scheme!!! 

I like it!  shows off body lines... mixes well with chrome.

from searching around the name appears to be brandywine candy...  now who makes this color... and is there a color code for it.......??????

MrChaos
MrChaos SuperDork
4/17/20 5:37 p.m.

C2C-KBC01-QT House of Kolor

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UberDork
4/19/20 12:01 p.m.
MrChaos said:

C2C-KBC01-QT House of Kolor

yes

work has begun.....

leaded joint - this quarter is original!

There is some metal that will need fixing....

For the sharp of eye... yes.... the interior is still in the car... the interior restorer is coming out Wednesday.  

more to come....... smiley

java230
java230 UberDork
4/19/20 3:01 p.m.

That's pretty clean still! 

And yes apparently I got the name wrong blush

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UberDork
4/19/20 7:28 p.m.
java230 said:

That's pretty clean still! 

And yes apparently I got the name wrong blush

doesn't matter about the name...  NICE color.... yes

now that the exterior color is chosen... the interior guy is thinking about a grey....   He'll be out to look at the seats and dash on Wednesday.  I'll ask him for some swatches.......

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UberDork
4/23/20 1:08 p.m.

A bit further....   

So while rummaging through Facebook it dawned on me... The AE86 use a rear steer rack.... and low and behold one became available, and with a bunch of extra bits...   It is a manual rack(non-power) and it comes with all the mounting bits. 

The plan now is to build a rear mounting on to the back of my front cross member, and then  remove the rack mounts from the AE86 cross member, and fit them to the newly made rear mount.  There is SUBSTANTIAL metal on the cross member for fitting this

In the mean time... more disassembly, and more stripping

and a bit closer....

more to come..... smiley

Carbon (Forum Supporter)
Carbon (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
4/24/20 9:26 a.m.

This is berking awesome. 

2 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JvpF2Q5arHgV5YPN9nOKNqtBwyLIGFZmXE228ti5rufapDWac72yaJjg9dP6ro8b