1 2
Box_of_Rocks
Box_of_Rocks New Reader
11/3/15 10:34 a.m.
belteshazzar wrote: the only "neat" swap idea for a H.O. quad4 is into a Fiero. imo anyway.

Another vote for this! Find a Formula or otherwise the lightest weight base model car you can find, and put in the Quad 4 with a 5 speed.

theenico
theenico Reader
11/3/15 10:35 a.m.
81cpcamaro wrote: The Quad 4 I had was quite reliable, never gave me any issues. Maybe I was just lucky. It wasn't cause I was easy on it. It was daily driven, autoxed, and even had a couple driving experiences as well. Being that it was a 92 Achieva SCX W41, it was too much fun to not drive it like you stole it. I have thought about getting an H.O. and put it into the MGB.

That has been the majority of the feedback I have received from owners vs technicians.

If driven hard and maintained they are tanks. If owned by an old lady and/or not maintained, they are crap. Most techs from that period got to see nothing but the crap because if it didn't break, they didn't see it.

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
11/3/15 10:49 a.m.

Quad4 in a Chevette was always a sick dream of mine

Rupert
Rupert Dork
11/3/15 10:58 a.m.
theenico wrote:
81cpcamaro wrote: The Quad 4 I had was quite reliable, never gave me any issues. Maybe I was just lucky. It wasn't cause I was easy on it. It was daily driven, autoxed, and even had a couple driving experiences as well. Being that it was a 92 Achieva SCX W41, it was too much fun to not drive it like you stole it. I have thought about getting an H.O. and put it into the MGB.
That has been the majority of the feedback I have received from owners vs technicians. If driven hard and maintained they are tanks. If owned by an old lady and/or not maintained, they are crap. Most techs from that period got to see nothing but the crap because if it didn't break, they didn't see it.

Didn't he start this thread by saying it was owned by a Little Old Lady? It looks good or can be made to look good, so I'd put it in something! (Something light weight & where it is visible.)

novaderrik
novaderrik UltimaDork
11/3/15 1:23 p.m.

my brother had a Beretta GTU (i think..) with the HO version of the quad 4 and a 5 speed... that was a fun car, i think i shifted it at close to 9000rpm when i got to drive it... well, it was fun right up until it developed a rod knock that didn't really sound like a rod knock- it sounded more like an oil pan baffle came loose and was hitting the crank or something... but when it threw the rod into a snowbank at idle, i guess that settled that it was indeed a rod knock..

someone mentioned putting one in a Fiero with a 5 speed: GM was going to do just that- with a turbo version available, too- but the car got killed before they got to make it awesome.. in 1990 or so, you would have been able to go into a Pontiac dealer and choose a Fiero with one of a few different quad 4 engines or the 3.4 DOHC... but they killed the car just as it was getting good due to whiny Corvette guys..

frenchyd
frenchyd Reader
11/3/15 5:51 p.m.

In reply to Gearheadotaku: I agree, I'm looking at various cars to see how small I can stuff one into.. Right now it's sitting in my shop waiting on my list of future projects.. While I have 12 hours in getting it, pulling the engine/computer/etc., and hauling the remnants to the scrap yard it doesn't owe me a dime..

frenchyd
frenchyd Reader
11/3/15 5:54 p.m.

In reply to novaderrik: I read where the stock oil pump responds very well to blueprinting and the aftermarket Rod bearings without the wristpin hole keep an oil wedge at +7000 RPM

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gwIz1nZeSnBgTQYRO8TuuYgXB2U9EJEvPS8TSUogFmnDBGKS4BwPESlrx43YLeEE