1 2 3
M030
M030 Dork
2/10/17 5:24 a.m.

There is a man who lives behind my mother-in-law who is always smiling. He has a small fleet of pre-1997 Oldsmobile Cutlass cieras. He's also got a few Buick Centuries mixed in there. Does this chassis have some inherent goodness that I overlooked?

Knurled
Knurled MegaDork
2/10/17 5:35 a.m.

No.

Campbelljj
Campbelljj New Reader
2/10/17 5:36 a.m.

No

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperDork
2/10/17 5:51 a.m.

NO

RevRico
RevRico Dork
2/10/17 6:01 a.m.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
2/10/17 6:11 a.m.

Those things are made of suck.

petegossett
petegossett UltimaDork
2/10/17 6:22 a.m.

They're cheap.

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
2/10/17 6:25 a.m.

Only if you get that tru-coat.

EvanB
EvanB UltimaDork
2/10/17 6:33 a.m.
dculberson wrote: Only if you get that tru-coat.

I hear they install that at the factory.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperDork
2/10/17 6:34 a.m.
petegossett wrote: They're cheap.

So is meth, that doesn't mean we should go around recommending it just because somebody noticed that their neighbor is always excited about something and seems to have found a miracle weight loss technique

Klayfish
Klayfish UberDork
2/10/17 6:37 a.m.

Olds version of the Chevy Celebrity, Pontiac 6000, Buick Century. The ultimate fleet car of the 80s and early 90s. My father had many Celebrities as company cars. Point A to point B. Now, a Celebrity Eurosport VR or a Pontiac 6000 STE with the digital dash and buttons all over is chock full of 80's awesome....

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory UltraDork
2/10/17 6:38 a.m.

Meth might be cheap but ooooohhh the dental bills!

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
2/10/17 6:44 a.m.

There is no place for your left foot in them.

No.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
2/10/17 6:46 a.m.

In reply to Klayfish:

The Eurosport VR in that picture was a special version of the Eurosport that was sold through Amway.

I am not making that up.

Robbie
Robbie UltraDork
2/10/17 6:57 a.m.

My sister was born in an Oldsmobile Cutlass Sierra on the way to the hospital, and it must have been pre1997 because she is.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
2/10/17 7:05 a.m.

In reply to Robbie:

That's a rough start.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
2/10/17 7:07 a.m.

I hear they're in early this year

Klayfish
Klayfish UberDork
2/10/17 7:16 a.m.
Woody wrote: In reply to Klayfish: The Eurosport VR in that picture was a special version of the Eurosport that was sold through Amway. I am not making that up.

20 years from now that will fetch it another $5k when a sub-2000 mile example one crosses the block at Barrett Jackson.

penultimeta
penultimeta Reader
2/10/17 7:18 a.m.

I think it had dealer plates.

slowride
slowride Dork
2/10/17 7:33 a.m.

Your thread title brought back the Simpsons "Monorail" episode for me.

Greg Voth
Greg Voth Dork
2/10/17 8:07 a.m.

My dad had a couple of the Buick flavor when I was growing up. I drove his 94 or 96? Century with the 3100 when I came of age. They handle awful but are comfortable and seem pretty reliable. I don't think he ever serviced it aside from oil until it overheated around 200k and he replaced it. Pretty good in the snow as well.

I can say as a teenager in the late 90s early 00s it would outrun most of the imports buzzing around town from a dig. I ended up ahead in stoplight race, three car race of a riced out civic and accord. They didn't know I was involved until the light turned green. It was fun for those types of laughs.

Now in the days of 250+ HP out of every pedestrian V6 I'm sure it would feel woefully inadequate. The Maxima he replaced it with was better in every way aside from soaking up miles while feeling like you are on your couch.

rob_lewis
rob_lewis SuperDork
2/10/17 8:17 a.m.

I think he's hoarding the for future classic value when the hipsters of today are old and need another oddball thing that nobody uses or wants to use. Because nothing says I'm "different" like an '80's Oldsmobile.

-Rob

Klayfish
Klayfish UberDork
2/10/17 8:24 a.m.
Greg Voth wrote: My dad had a couple of the Buick flavor when I was growing up. I drove his 94 or 96? Century with the 3100 when I came of age. They handle awful but are comfortable and seem pretty reliable. I don't think he ever serviced it aside from oil until it overheated around 200k and he replaced it. Pretty good in the snow as well. I can say as a teenager in the late 90s early 00s it would outrun most of the imports buzzing around town from a dig. I ended up ahead in stoplight race, three car race of a riced out civic and accord. They didn't know I was involved until the light turned green. It was fun for those types of laughs. Now in the days of 250+ HP out of every pedestrian V6 I'm sure it would feel woefully inadequate. The Maxima he replaced it with was better in every way aside from soaking up miles while feeling like you are on your couch.

The Celebrities we had were always the Iron Duke, so they were slow and noisy. But a buddy's father had a company car that was a Century with the 3.8L For its' day, it was quick for a family sedan. It could spin its' front tires...uh...tire...with ease.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve MegaDork
2/10/17 8:26 a.m.

I had the misfortune to own a 1985 Buick Century. Hands-down, the worst car I have ever owned. And I don't think it's hyperbole to say that it was perhaps the worst punishment man has ever inflicted upon his fellow man. OK, WWII was maybe a little worse, but in terms of pain and suffering, the 85' Century is pretty close. It's the only car that I actively spit upon should I ever see one miraculously still on the road. Which has not happened in many years because, like polio, mankind is trying to eliminate all traces of this abomination. Given the choice between a root canal and sitting in one, I would head to the dentist. If I received a fleet of low-mileage 85' Buck Centurys in perfect running condition, I would trailer them to the nearest crusher. Not drive them, because they would surely puke their transmission en-route. It is not a car, it is plague. The black death. Treat it as such and stay away.

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit UberDork
2/10/17 8:27 a.m.

Here is the one to have in all of its AWD glory:

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7IAPShox4HkpQHkCATIHZNzAQpiH9gHkKrx6W0DUc4BTJ1BqNH0u7h0N4Wg6WH9y