1 2
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/27/21 1:06 p.m.
feature_image

The Tire Rack One Lap of America has posted its 2022 schedule, and as usual it covers a bit of ground.

When the Cannonball Rally went legit | The history of the One Lap of America

Teams will again start at Tire Rack’s headquarters in South Bend, Indiana, before taking a circuit through the …

Read the rest of the story

spacecadet (Forum Supporter)
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
10/27/21 1:21 p.m.

Wow! this is going to be a great year!

But not anything at all what i expected!

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
10/27/21 1:26 p.m.

I get Grissom for Autox AND my home track? Dude

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
10/27/21 1:44 p.m.

Rack to Grissom:  81 miles or 1:23

Grissom to Nashville: 368 miles or 6:00

Nashville to Carolina: 431 miles or 7:17

Carolina to Barber: 393 miles or 6:04 (and thru Atlanta!)

Barber to Hallet: 700 miles or 10:17

Hallet to Heartland: 274 miles or 4:00

Heartland to Putnum: 518 miles or 7:52

Putnam to Rack: 187 miles or 3:09

Autox at Grissom.  Drag Racing at Heartland.

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo Mod Squad
10/27/21 2:03 p.m.

there's still drag racing to add to that schedule, eventually

it'd be cool if we could hit up BMW performance center too, after CMP... but dunno if that's possible or not

10/27/21 2:55 p.m.

In reply to sleepyhead the buffalo :

Heartland has a strip.. 99% bet on using it

sleepyhead the buffalo
10/27/21 3:12 p.m.

I still look forward to the possibility of a couple other minor additions to the schedule.

also, looks like ~1hr 20mins of charging for the Teslas to get from Barber to Hallet:
A Better Routeplanner

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
10/27/21 3:23 p.m.

Excellent coming back to Hallett this year. 

Patientzero
Patientzero Dork
10/27/21 11:59 p.m.

Wow, this would be awesome to do! 

*googles price* - ...for someone else

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
10/28/21 7:09 a.m.

In reply to Patientzero :

The waitlist is already 40 deep. A team of 3 in a GRM style car is very easily done on a budget.

sleepyhead the buffalo
10/28/21 10:33 a.m.

back of the envelope, assuming you already have a car that's "track prepped":

entry fee - $3500 / $4000
mandatory tires - ($750 to $1500) * 0.75 = $560 to $1200
hotels - ~$1000 to $2000
fuel - $500 - $1200
wear items - $500-$1500

food - $400/person

cost per person, 2 person team:  $3500  to  $4500
cost per person, 3 person team:  $2500  to  $3000
cost per person, 4 person team:  $2000  to  $2500

PPE for 'on track drivers' - $500 - $1000 (unless you already have it)
also, you could/should buy track insurance, and have a minimum liability coverage of $500k (iirc)

BradLTL
BradLTL UltraDork
11/23/21 9:48 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

Looks like another event was added.  Between CMP and Barber, we now have to stop at Lanier for some oval action.  Changes that route.  It's going to be a tight transit too.  Last run at CMP starts at 12:30, first run at Lanier starts at 5.

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/23/21 12:03 p.m.

I'm kind of sad that the path is going to take it right past the new facility in the Ozarks without making a stop there. 

sleepyhead the buffalo
11/23/21 1:29 p.m.

In reply to captdownshift (Forum Supporter) :

I dunno if it'll be ready in time?  Brock's had to scramble and get alternates lined up at the last minute when it didn't work out.  He likes getting to places that are new that people haven't had a chance to drive them (ala driving a road you haven't seen while trying to cross the country as fast as possible).  But, you want to make sure enough stuff is in place before booking a track.

11/23/21 3:49 p.m.

In reply to captdownshift (Forum Supporter) :

I'm not, Ozarks looks like a car destroyer.

Would you like some racetrack to go with your walls and blind crest turn ins?

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/23/21 4:35 p.m.

In reply to spacecadet (Forum Supporter) :

Blind crest turn in, yes, the wall situation there is worse than unfortunate though. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
3/31/22 8:12 a.m.

30 days. Anyone else feeling anxious? 

BradLTL
BradLTL UltraDork
4/4/22 10:47 a.m.
bobzilla said:

30 days. Anyone else feeling anxious? 

Very... I'm still not confirmed in the event.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
4/4/22 10:53 a.m.

In reply to BradLTL :

Sorry. On a positive note the Rio is ready. 

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo PowerDork
4/4/22 1:01 p.m.

waiting on one more piece of paperwork... and need to buckle down on a few other logistics things, order tires, etc.

plus, watch a bunch of video;  and get some virtual seat time done.

Looks like we should be able to pull it off {crosses fingers}.  Gonna be an interesting time.

but, yes... anxious

BradLTL
BradLTL UltraDork
4/4/22 1:09 p.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

We've moved up the wait list a few spots today... need a good bit more though

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
4/4/22 2:36 p.m.

In reply to sleepyhead the buffalo :

Think of it this way, you've done it once since I have and it wasn't my car. You're a seasoned professional at this, you're fine!

Aaron_King
Aaron_King PowerDork
4/5/22 10:17 a.m.

I will try to make it out to Grissom, my middle son has been jonesing for some car stuff lately.  Anyone else going to spectate?

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
4/5/22 11:21 a.m.

In reply to Aaron_King :

It's probably 40 more minutes to drive to Tire Rack and you'll need to there earlier but if you can, the Tire Rack will be a much better spectator experience.  All the cars are there for some morning walk through. The super fast car will launch first and the Kia Rios will launch later. When a car is done they can advance to Grissom. 

At Grissom, cars will arrive more one at a time. The cars will empty their interior and hit the course immediately when they are ready. Three laps as quickly as they want to and the cars will pack back up and be gone quickly.

I guess either is good. You'll still see all the cars. At Grissom you'll just see them more one at a time and see them briefly.

Another good "car show" but no "action" is the host hotel parking lot Friday night before the start. 

Thinking this through more...First car off at Tire Rack is 8:00am and First car off at Grissom is 1:00pm.  With a long drive to get there, Grissom makes more sense is you wish not to be on the road at 5am.  

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
4/5/22 12:48 p.m.

This is probably a good place to say more about spectating....

Schedule can be found here. 

Friday driver's meeting at 3-4pm.  This means that most all cars (god willing) will be there for viewing before and after meeting.  Some cars will leave for dinner but they wont be gone for long.  Fun night.  Everyone could still be the winner!  

Saturday morning at 8am, cars are broken into groups and they go two laps left and two laps right, on a wet (sprinkler) track.  In theory, your one and only allowed pair of tires are their newest and have their most tread (to help you in the rain.)  

The early running cars (fastest cars) will leave the TireRack as early as 9:00 to drive the 1 hr to Grissom for a autox that starts at 1:00pm.  

In general, One Lap events are a daytime/early thing.  Lets take day 2 at Nashville.  Track opens at 7:00 for walking of the track.  Gives the driver's a little time to see the track.  Bikes and scooters are allowed but I think anything "powered" is not allowed.  At 8:00 the first cars are brought out in groups of about 6 cars at a time.  By about 11:00, all the cars will have done their "morning session."  There will be a little break for "timing crew lunch" and car will begin the afternoon session about 12:30, again starting with the fastest cars.  Once cars are individually done with their afternoon session, they are free to leave and advance to the next venue (6-10 hr drive!)  By 3:00 pm it is intended that all cars (including Rios) will be done and gone to the new town.  

Super cool thing for spectators!!!!  During that lunch break 11-ish to 12-ish, Brock himself will lead visitors through "touring laps" for 10-20 minutes.  Speeds are moderate but still fun.  So, if you plan to spectate, bring with you a car that is "track fun" and doesn't leak anything!  Best part...its free to spectate and touring lap!   But, expect that you'll need a wrist band and have to sign the waiver at the gate.  

Don't be like myself many years back where I figured I'd quit work early to get to the event for some spectating.  I arrived at track about 3pm, just to see the last cars packing up and leaving for the day.  But, on the road in, I was passed by some cool cars leaving in the other direction.  If you plan to spectate you'll want to be there as early as reasonable.  

Lanier could be interesting this year since the first car doesn't go off until 5pm.  That could be a "leave work early" type thing for spectating.  

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5LlmCC05VoknMnYIaMNjkzrRoTwnnnN3muEv6q7UqfRzK6eReDxijVAR8lPEhNq8