1 2
Alan Cesar
Alan Cesar Associate Editor
7/9/12 9:55 a.m.

The World Challenge driver of the K-Pax Volvo talks a big game about staying healthy. Here's how he makes his smoothies.

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/articles/fast-food-randy-pobsts-smoothie-recipe/

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette SuperDork
7/9/12 10:02 a.m.

I actually tore this out of the magazine and put the page on the fridge

Javelin
Javelin UltimaDork
7/9/12 10:04 a.m.

Gotta buy a VitaMix, but Mrs. Javelin (vegan) and I (vegetarian) are going to try it!

Ranger50
Ranger50 SuperDork
7/9/12 10:05 a.m.

My wife would say, "Needs more chocolate.".

nocones
nocones Dork
7/9/12 10:06 a.m.
Karl La Follette wrote: I actually tore this out of the magazine and put the page on the fridge

How Dareth you Defile the Sacred Tome

tuna55
tuna55 UltraDork
7/9/12 12:06 p.m.

Sounds good, but as a non vegan non vegetarian, I would love some jerky thrown on there or something.

jstein77
jstein77 Dork
7/9/12 12:51 p.m.

Kinda defeats the purpose!

Alan Cesar
Alan Cesar Associate Editor
7/9/12 12:55 p.m.

That's the magic of recipes: you can totally adapt to your taste. Throw some jerky in yours if you want it.

Sky_Render
Sky_Render Reader
7/9/12 12:56 p.m.

You lost me at avacado. bleck

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed Dork
7/9/12 12:57 p.m.

To each his own but I am also a vegan and respect like minded individuals. More power to you Randy.

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
7/9/12 1:05 p.m.

I posted about this earlier....but decided that what I had to say made me look like a neanderthal with a lump of charred meat on the end of a pointy stick over a camp fire. I quickly deleted the post so I could seem more sophisticated.

[I did find Randy's anti-establishment rational to be amusing.]

tuna55
tuna55 UltraDork
7/9/12 1:11 p.m.
Sky_Render wrote: You lost me at avacado. *bleck*

Dude, I eat those things with a spoon! Delicious!

Ranger50
Ranger50 SuperDork
7/9/12 1:15 p.m.

Oh man.. Guacamole......

alfadriver
alfadriver PowerDork
7/9/12 1:22 p.m.

Me, too. Not because I don't like them- I do. But they are not exactly cheap to get. And to use one every single day....

Need to figure out how to make something similar using ingredients I can easily get here in SE MI, annually. Preferrably all from local sources- apples and pears are easy to get.... I know how to get greens in the winter, but sprouts are not so easy.

Maybe even some seasonal adjustments, too.

But using items that take a lot of energy to get here does limit their benefits.

scardeal
scardeal Dork
7/9/12 1:34 p.m.
alfadriver wrote: Me, too. Not because I don't like them- I do. But they are not exactly cheap to get. And to use one every single day.... Need to figure out how to make something similar using ingredients I can easily get here in SE MI, annually. Preferrably all from local sources- apples and pears are easy to get.... I know how to get greens in the winter, but sprouts are not so easy. Maybe even some seasonal adjustments, too. But using items that take a lot of energy to get here does limit their benefits.

Hrm... I wonder if peanuts might be part of the solution? Not terribly local, but cheap.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt SuperDork
7/9/12 1:48 p.m.

Peanuts would probably change the character enough that you might as well make a peanut butter, apple, banana, and yogurt smoothie. Maybe substitute frozen strawberries for banana if you want locally grown, and almond milk for yogurt if you're vegan. Then again, Randy's recipe seemed like it would work better for me as a salad than in a blender...

(Recently started horsing around with smoothies myself.)

trucke
trucke Reader
7/9/12 1:54 p.m.

You can get all kinds of recipes for those smoothies. Even as simple as spinach and orange juice. Vita-Mix offers a ton of recipes. The Vita-Mix is an awesome machine. We love ours.

https://secure.vitamix.com/Default.aspx

So Randy Pobst drinks vegan smoothies and started his career driving a Toyota FX16 for Auto-X Magazine.

dculberson
dculberson Dork
7/9/12 2:23 p.m.
tuna55 wrote:
Dude, I eat those things with a spoon! Delicious!

No joke, Sky Render is missing one of the greatest foods in the world.

Bacon and avocado omelet... yuuuum.

kreb
kreb SuperDork
7/9/12 2:32 p.m.

In my experience, good food variety really sucks in much of the country. It's entirely possible that he's never had a decent avacodo.

I wonder how well that smoothie would keep? Like if I made it in the morning and put it in a refrigerator at work. Would it still be good come lunchtime? One problem with avacados is that they go bad so quickly in the open air.

Jay
Jay UltraDork
7/9/12 2:44 p.m.
alfadriver wrote: Me, too. Not because I don't like them- I do. But they are not exactly cheap to get. And to use one every single day.... Need to figure out how to make something similar using ingredients I can easily get here in SE MI, annually. Preferrably all from local sources- apples and pears are easy to get.... I know how to get greens in the winter, but sprouts are not so easy.

I have a bag of five here that I got for $2.59. I don't know what Michigan is like but every grocer in southern Ontario carries them, usually big bins of the things. They come from Mexico where they grow & eat them like crazy. Figure out where your local Mexican population shop.

alfadriver
alfadriver PowerDork
7/9/12 2:56 p.m.
Jay wrote:
alfadriver wrote: Me, too. Not because I don't like them- I do. But they are not exactly cheap to get. And to use one every single day.... Need to figure out how to make something similar using ingredients I can easily get here in SE MI, annually. Preferrably all from local sources- apples and pears are easy to get.... I know how to get greens in the winter, but sprouts are not so easy.
I have a bag of five here that I got for $2.59. I don't know what Michigan is like but every grocer in southern Ontario carries them, usually big bins of the things. They come from Mexico where they grow & eat them like crazy. Figure out where your local Mexican population shop.

to be honest, we are also not fans of the tiny little things we get here in NA. I'd much rather have the kind that grows in the back yard of my in-laws, but you get get food imported from Puerto Rico.

And I'm fine with bannana, for some reason.

We are getting very toward the off topic range of this subject... But my best plan is a lot of local stuff that's frozen- just this morning, my shake had last years peaches.

mightymike
mightymike New Reader
7/9/12 3:48 p.m.

Everything is better with bacon...

dabird
dabird New Reader
7/9/12 5:05 p.m.

i didn't read the link but every morning i make a smoothie with a banana, strawberries (sometimes i add blueberries or raspberries) half an avocado and pasteurized egg whites. I can't taste the egg whites at all and they add a decent amount of protein. I was always really bad at eating breakfast until i realized i could just drink it every morning

mtn
mtn PowerDork
7/9/12 5:06 p.m.

Love me some Avocado... Don't know that I'd like it in a smoothie though.

FYI, our ALDI often has them for fifty cents each--normal sized ones too.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey Dork
7/9/12 5:17 p.m.

Hmm doesn't sound half bad actually.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WKivPOLJv7qhNOAuvaikhEaKLHzutVlX8KVRIrh9gbvf4nsuQPOvG3S2tKIJ1JHv