1 2 3
Alan Cesar
Alan Cesar Associate Editor
2/18/13 1:48 p.m.

From our December 2012 issue, read about Phil Grabow's entry into the Ultimate Track Car Challenge.

What articles would you guys like to see online?

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/articles/early-adopter/

mazdeuce
mazdeuce Dork
2/18/13 2:30 p.m.

Honestly, I'd love to see all of the challenge car stuff online. Use the same pics that you do in the magazine but extend the blurb a bit. Maybe even allow the challengers to write it if they want to. This would let us ask them questions directly in the comment sections on each car. It would give them and the event sponsors more exposure as well.

slefain
slefain SuperDork
2/18/13 2:32 p.m.
Alan Cesar wrote: What articles would you guys like to see online?

All of them. Don't be afraid of concurrent publishing. If it is in the magazine in print, put it on the site but add more content. Take all that stuff that had to be cut out to make it fit in an 8-page spread and put it on the site.

I've been slowly converting four years of publications across four magazines to our website. I have hundreds of articles left to do, but I just set up a schedule and peck away at it. It all goes online, let Google sort it out. You'd be surprised what drives traffic.

Glad to see you asking this question. I know Tim has wanted to crack this nut for a while but it isn't easy.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
2/18/13 2:55 p.m.
slefain wrote:
Alan Cesar wrote: What articles would you guys like to see online?
Don't be afraid of concurrent publishing. If it is in the magazine in print, put it on the site but add more content. Take all that stuff that had to be cut out to make it fit in an 8-page spread and put it on the site.

This may be a good idea as an option in our digital versions of GRM. (On Apple's Newsstand, and also available to subscribers) This way there would be more content available, and an extra incentive to subscribe.

JeffHarbert
JeffHarbert Reader
2/18/13 3:26 p.m.

I wonder about single-issue projects. Take, say, a 2001 Civic Si, get a good baseline on it (0-60, track laps, skidpad, etc), do some basic daily driver-suitable mods, then re-run the tests to see how much it's been improved. Call it a Zero to Hero series. Or, as an alternative, expand your 'Data File' series. Get input from relevant experts about three stages of mods - daily driver upgrades, street and track, and dedicated track.

irish44j
irish44j UltraDork
2/18/13 5:49 p.m.

I like tech articles.....whether they be on welding, fabricating, improvising, bodywork, suspension rebuild, etc.

When I look through my many years of old GRMs, I rarely stop to read about the "featured" cars or the UTCC or whatever. I look for the tech articles and the build articles (e.g. the GRM budget rallycrosser, etc) and re-read them. 20 pages of $$ cars and their times at UTCC gets skimmed at best, and always skipped the second and third times I pick up that issue.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UberDork
2/18/13 7:22 p.m.

I liked that 60's Volvo you bought for $1200, the BMW 2002, lime green 240Z, Corvair.....

arsine
arsine New Reader
2/18/13 7:41 p.m.

this is a hard topic, everyone has their own interests and they're going to want to see more of what they like. i've found grm to always have a good variety of articles and should keep up the great job you're doing. perhaps some articles on engine theory (air flow, fuel tuning, etc) would be nice and as some others have mentioned, adding some enhanced online features such as track car challenge/$200x competitors can add more info regarding their cars. there had been some cars in the nov '12 ultimate track car challenge i had hoped to have seen more coverage and this would be a good way to add to it

dj06482
dj06482 Dork
2/18/13 8:03 p.m.

+1 on the tech articles.

Darksider203
Darksider203 New Reader
2/21/13 2:41 p.m.
JeffHarbert wrote: I wonder about single-issue projects. Take, say, a 2001 Civic Si, get a good baseline on it (0-60, track laps, skidpad, etc), do some basic daily driver-suitable mods, then re-run the tests to see how much it's been improved. Call it a Zero to Hero series. Or, as an alternative, expand your 'Data File' series. Get input from relevant experts about three stages of mods - daily driver upgrades, street and track, and dedicated track.

I like all the idea, but this one stands out to me. It reminds me of the best motoring and hot version series. They drew people in because they showed not only all out racecars, but lightly tuned cars with basic parts, suspension settings, affordable things, but they really make a difference. Then we would watch these cars fly down the touge. It really shows you thats power and a big budget isnt always needed to have fun. And i think thats what this magazine is about.

Darksider203
Darksider203 New Reader
2/21/13 2:43 p.m.

I just learned about grassroots, i made my judgement based on the wiki. I plan on reading this magazine now any chance i have to pick it up.

Alan Cesar
2/21/13 3:40 p.m.
Darksider203 wrote: I just learned about grassroots, i made my judgement based on the wiki. I plan on reading this magazine now any chance i have to pick it up.

There's a couple ways you could check it out right now for just a couple bucks if you want to try an issue. We have an app in the iTunes App Store:
http://www.grassrootsmotorsports.com/apple

On the Amazon app store for the Kindle (and soon Android devices):
http://www.grassrootsmotorsports.com/amazonapp

Or you could have a free issue mailed to your house:
http://www.grassrootsmotorsports.com/try

Darksider203
Darksider203 New Reader
2/21/13 3:44 p.m.
Alan Cesar wrote:
Darksider203 wrote: I just learned about grassroots, i made my judgement based on the wiki. I plan on reading this magazine now any chance i have to pick it up.
There's a couple ways you could check it out right now for just a couple bucks if you want to try an issue. We have an app in the iTunes App Store: http://www.grassrootsmotorsports.com/apple On the Amazon app store for the Kindle (and soon Android devices): http://www.grassrootsmotorsports.com/amazonapp Or you could have a free issue mailed to your house: http://www.grassrootsmotorsports.com/try

Awesome! And thank you.

JtspellS
JtspellS Dork
2/21/13 4:04 p.m.

Its been said but extended cuts on feature cars would be nice, Really like the idea of quick mods with dyno and or track before/after articles (on new cars as well as some that you have in the fleet.)

And something that always had me going back to sport compact car back in the day was how you can do it on your newer car for the cost you could on an older one ie: guides on how to fab your own (would need full disclaimers lol)

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 SuperDork
2/21/13 5:35 p.m.

I love seeing the articles online. I haven't had a subscription in a while and i need to re-up so seeing these is always a treat.

On a side note. While I love the idea behind the FR-S/BR-Z, I love the interior, engine, styling etc. I just feel it is extremely overpriced for what you get.

Darksider203
Darksider203 New Reader
2/21/13 6:16 p.m.
DirtyBird222 wrote: I love seeing the articles online. I haven't had a subscription in a while and i need to re-up so seeing these is always a treat. On a side note. While I love the idea behind the FR-S/BR-Z, I love the interior, engine, styling etc. I just feel it is extremely overpriced for what you get.

Agreed, i feel the fr-s should of came turbo charged stock. Rated at around 250-260 horsepower

Alan Cesar
2/21/13 10:41 p.m.

I think torque is really what the car lacks. It doesn't feel powerful at the top end or in the middle. The engine really doesn't do anything for me.

Darksider203
Darksider203 New Reader
2/21/13 10:59 p.m.

I agree, the car should of at least been turbocharged @ 2 liters or bumped up to 2.4-2.6 liters. The compression is so high that you cant even turbo it without new pistons, and im sure its a real pain getting that boxer engine out. The looks and styling are great, but that car deserves a 3sgte, no hate against the boxer engine, but i just really feel like it should have a 3sgte

wbjones
wbjones UberDork
2/22/13 8:00 a.m.

subscribe ... mag AND a free T shirt

J308
J308 Reader
2/22/13 8:36 a.m.

And the promo code GRMBOARD still works here for a year for $16.95.

Definitely the best read I have had delivered to my house in the past 20 years.

Darksider203
Darksider203 New Reader
2/22/13 8:40 a.m.

thanks, im moving soon to florida and once i settle i will be subscribing. im not worried about free stuff i would love to contribute money towards this magazine

singleslammer
singleslammer Dork
2/22/13 8:44 a.m.

In reply to Darksider203:

I can't agree with the comment on the turbocharging. With a low compression system, the direct injection should allow a decent system. Also, this is similar to what Toyota has done in the past. It took to the 4th model year to get the SC first gen MR2. Subaru has turboed everything.

Basically give it two years.

Also, so what if it is torqueless? It gets 21st century fuel mileage and makes enough to make the car great fun. I need go test drive an FRS or BRZ...

Darksider203
Darksider203 New Reader
2/22/13 8:55 a.m.

in response to singleslammer.

i cant comment on the direct injection part becuase i know nothing about different types of fuel injection. but that is the problem nowadays, everything is all about fuel milage rather than performance. the fr-s is the successor of the ae86 and the next performance car toyota and subaru created. and its a hit! there are many parts for it out right now. but ask yourself, im dont know exact pricing or weight. but you take 26,000 for a new frs that only comes with 200 horsepower in a car that weighs 2600-2700 hundred pounds?

any series tuners are ripping apart the engine and making it turbo, its just not the right type of car for n/a in my opinion. not at 2.0 liters at least. turbocharging can also be fuel efficient and produce alot better results and a more fun car in my opinion. they should have a fuel efficiancy, and sport mode also if it has a 26k price tag.

Darksider203
Darksider203 New Reader
2/22/13 9:02 a.m.

its just not enough bang for your buck.

singleslammer
singleslammer Dork
2/22/13 9:13 a.m.

In reply to Darksider203:

Ah, well DI can make a huge difference in the relationship between forced induction and compression.

I think that we have gotten away from the point where chassis feel is more important than speed.

Example

1990 Miata: 2100 lbs - 115 HP = 18.26 LBS/HP

2012 Scion FR-S: 2800 lbs - 200 HP = 14 LBS/HP

I fail to see how the 200 hp FR-S is a bad thing. If you adjust for inflation they cost basically the same thing (1990 - 2011 according to wiki is US$14,000 - US$25,400. The main problem (IMO) with the Miata for enthusiasts has been no factory hardtop (non-vert) and here is a great alternative.

Sorry, don't mean to get all preachy but I think that we are a bunch of jaded shiny happy people for complaining about this car.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6QWtvsAjkptyXmO7ig7KG6edsrkCw8hN6r3L7nNQF8rVxJAkM1pBHzbWSnnbPGj8