1 2 3
1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
7/8/20 4:56 p.m.

This will serve as my first build thread and is a continuation of this thread over on OT. 

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/thoughts-on-dead-rotary/163367/page1/

I felt that it wouldn't do to go forward with a title like "Thoughts on Dead Rotary" so I elected to go with something a bit more positive.

Here's the patient on her last outing prior to the operation:

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
7/8/20 4:58 p.m.

Beauty 

love the FD wheels 

crankwalk (Forum Supporter)
crankwalk (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
7/8/20 5:24 p.m.

Long live the FC! Looks great so far. 

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
7/8/20 5:37 p.m.

And this is the situation as of this afternoon:

I was assisted by Number One Son, who did most of the heavy lifting/wrenching.  He is both eager and impatient to get the job done.  I'm counting on his youthful exuberance to prod my aging self along.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
7/8/20 5:44 p.m.

This is the old lump.  I aim to pull a few more bits off of it before I put it on the stand and start the actual teardown. 

Fun fact:  The engine mount by the turbo came out in two pieces.  The rubber was completely separated and looked as though it had been for some time.  The good side was showing partial separation.

I guess it's a good thing I had installed the Racing Beat engine torque brace a few years back.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
7/8/20 5:48 p.m.

Clutch shows "Made in Korea" on a label and "Valeo" on the metal.  Is that typical of the OEM unit, or do I have an aftermarket clutch?  Either way, it's on the list of new parts.  What clutch do I want?  Car has Haltech ECU and a bit of extra boost (and fuel), looking at  street and autocross duty. 

crankwalk (Forum Supporter)
crankwalk (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
7/8/20 7:00 p.m.
1988RedT2 said:

Clutch shows "Made in Korea" on a label and "Valeo" on the metal.  Is that typical of the OEM unit, or do I have an aftermarket clutch?  Either way, it's on the list of new parts.  What clutch do I want?  Car has Haltech ECU and a bit of extra boost (and fuel), looking at  street and autocross duty. 

That's probably an OEM style replacement. My FD's stock clutch was a Daikin (Exedy)

Brett_Murphy (Forum Patrón)
Brett_Murphy (Forum Patrón) MegaDork
7/8/20 9:10 p.m.

Yay! Long life the FC TII! I miss mine, sometimes.

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) UberDork
7/8/20 10:36 p.m.
1988RedT2 said:

Fun fact:  The engine mount by the turbo came out in two pieces.  The rubber was completely separated and looked as though it had been for some time.  The good side was showing partial separation.

That seems to be common.  This is one of the ones that came out of my FD:

BenB (Forum Supporter)
BenB (Forum Supporter) Reader
7/9/20 9:25 a.m.
mr2s2000elise said:

Beauty 

love the FD wheels 

+1!!!

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
7/10/20 10:14 a.m.

Well, I was able to gun the flywheel nut off no problem.  Currently stuck on the flywheel itself.  I've given it a few whacks with a well-seasoned chunk of oak tree, but it has not loosened.  Moving on to the two-bolt puller.  Does anybody know if those two holes are M10x1.25? I don't seem to have the correct thread in my puller set.

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/10/20 10:19 a.m.

Flywheel? I've never seen one with only one bolt and two threaded holes. Sure you don't mean harmonic balancer? I rent the tool from the parts store for those 

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
7/10/20 10:25 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) :

I'm sorry for the mis-communication. 

This thing (not my pic):

I've got the nut off.  There are two holes 180-degrees apart near the center, intended for use with a bolt-style puller (which I have).

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr UberDork
7/10/20 10:30 a.m.
1988RedT2 said:

This thing (not my pic):

I've got the nut off.  There are two holes 180-degrees apart near the center, intended for use with a bolt-style puller (which I have).

Get on the mazdatrix website.  There is a very specific place to hit the flywheel and it comes right off.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.mazdatrix.com/flywheel-removal/&ved=2ahUKEwi0q5TMgMPqAhXJc98KHRzKBGgQFjACegQIDxAM&usg=AOvVaw3M9_Z27U0FN94DpKjvRwkz

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/10/20 10:32 a.m.

Nope thats definitely a flywheel! Rotary motors are berkeleying odd. Harmonic balancer (assuming that the rotary has one) is at the other end of the crank with the pullies. Ill go back to lurking now. Sorry....

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr UberDork
7/10/20 10:34 a.m.
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) said:

Nope thats definitely a flywheel! Rotary motors are berkeleying odd. Harmonic balancer (assuming that the rotary has one) is at the other end of the crank with the pullies. Ill go back to lurking now. Sorry....

No harmonic balancer.   Just a pulley that bolts on.  

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
7/10/20 10:58 a.m.

In reply to wvumtnbkr :

Yup.  Already watched that video, but I don't own any exotic hammers. blush

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) UberDork
7/10/20 10:58 a.m.

Racing Beat sells a flywheel puller that works pretty well.

j_tso
j_tso Reader
7/10/20 11:26 a.m.

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

You could also use a block of wood with a mini-sledge.  It needs a really good whack without damaging the flywheel. I've had to hit it a lot harder than shown in Mazdatrix's video.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 PowerDork
7/10/20 11:30 a.m.
wvumtnbkr said:
1988RedT2 said:

This thing (not my pic):

Get on the mazdatrix website.  There is a very specific place to hit the flywheel and it comes right off.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.mazdatrix.com/flywheel-removal/&ved=2ahUKEwi0q5TMgMPqAhXJc98KHRzKBGgQFjACegQIDxAM&usg=AOvVaw3M9_Z27U0FN94DpKjvRwkz

Exactly this. Hit it with a big sledge in the right spot, and it will come right off. Thread the big nut back on a few threads though to keep it from falling completely off, because it will once you hit it in the right spot.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 PowerDork
7/10/20 11:31 a.m.
1988RedT2 said:

In reply to wvumtnbkr :

Yup.  Already watched that video, but I don't own any exotic hammers. blush

There is the exotic hammer you need in your picture.

Brett_Murphy (Forum Patrón)
Brett_Murphy (Forum Patrón) MegaDork
7/10/20 12:28 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) said:

Rotaries are balanced with a front counterweight that matches the weight of the flywheel *or* on automatics, a rear counterweight, too.

Then, if you want to do it correctly, you match those to the rotors (which also have to match).

THEN, if you change those, you have to check end play and possibly change the spacers and stuff. YAY!

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
7/16/20 12:14 p.m.

Wow.  Five days already?

Just got the flywheel off.  I pried with a crowbar while my son gave it a mighty whack with a big chunk of oak.    Success!

One obstacle overcome.  One to go.

The front pulley e-shaft bolt.  Came right off with my air impact on the junk motor.  This one not so much.  I've borrowed an I-R impact and an electric impact, but neither has budged it so far.  Is applying heat an option here?

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
7/16/20 1:45 p.m.

Well, the I-R impact hits about like mine.  It didn't budge.

The electric impact is impressive.  Still didn't move the bolt.  Socket would actually get hot.  Tried several times.  On the last go, I thought it was moving, but what's this?  A crack appears in the side of my 19mm impact socket.  Carp! 

I've broken sockets before, but never a 19mm impact socket.  Neato!  I'm glad I stopped before it exploded.

Back to the drawing board.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
7/16/20 3:01 p.m.

Step 1:  Reinstall flywheel.

Step 2:  Drill 3 colinear holes in a 4' piece of 1-1/4 x 1-1/4 x 1/8" steel angle and bolt to flywheel and bell housing, thus preventing rotation.

Step 3:  Get 17-year old son to apply torque to bolt using 3/4" impact socket, 1/2" drive Craftsman breaker bar, and 5' length of steel pipe while I apply an opposing force using the the excess length of the angle bolted to the flywheel to keep the engine from flopping around.

Step 4:  Remove E-shaft bolt.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
olnViE4YWbFhe8hViOIRi3EshiT5KEhEuqK0x4fwTzDw1rhKuhBsn7XKBMukwr9t