pinchvalve
pinchvalve MegaDork
11/12/18 8:01 p.m.

The Fiesta is subject to a recall, a coolant temperature sensor needs to be added to keep it from overheating and catching on fire.  This seems prudent considering how I use my car, so I want to get it done.  Ford says it is free and will even give me a loaner car.  The trouble is, there isn't a decent dealer within an hour of me.  I have already crossed the 4 closest dealers to me off my list forever, and the dealer I as well as the dealer I bought it from.  They all convinced me NEVER to use them ever again.  

I tried a new dealer, (Kenny Ross) who is not too far away and they screwed me too.  I made an appointment, and after dropping off the car, they are surprised that I need a loaner and know nothing about the recall.  This was all on my appointment made 8 days ago, do they not read why the car is coming in?  They found me a loaner, but after 2 days they call to tell me they don't have the part and it will be a few weeks before it comes in.  WHY WOULD YOU NOT KNOW THAT BEFORE I WASTE MY TIME?  They eventually get the part, but this time I call before my appointment to make sure they have a loaner and that the part is in.  Both are complete surprises to the service manager on duty, apparently they don't have a computer system? So I tell them to call me when they can accommodate me, silence.  I call back and leave a few messages, nothing.  

I call another dealer (Star Lake) and ask if they can order the parts and get a loaner so I can just drop the car off.  He says he has to see if he can and will call me back.  You guessed it, never heard from them again. 

If you Google Ford dealers in the PGH area, you won't find one with more than 2 stars unless they only have one review.  They are all useless.  So now I am fighting with Ford to allow me to go to an independent shop that I trust (Green Apple Auto Works) and have them do the work on Ford's dime. 

Anyone every face this?  Any ideas on how to force Ford to honor their recall? 

RevRico
RevRico UberDork
11/12/18 8:12 p.m.

If Smail hasn't been crossed off your list yet, they're good to deal with, but I know it's a ride from your place.  Over the years we've had several recalls taken care of there and they've been competent about it. 

We waited 4 years for the local dodge dealer to get parts for a recall on the jeep. Sold the damn thing before they ever got parts in. 

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
11/12/18 8:32 p.m.

Might I ask how they "add" the coolant temperature sensor (and why in the world doesn't this car have a coolant temp sensor??)

I only ask because it's probably an inexpensive part, and if it's an easy install just save the hassle and do it yourself if it costs less than the gas you're wasting driving to a far-away dealer. 

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
11/12/18 8:52 p.m.
irish44j said:

Might I ask how they "add" the coolant temperature sensor (and why in the world doesn't this car have a coolant temp sensor??)

I only ask because it's probably an inexpensive part, and if it's an easy install just save the hassle and do it yourself if it costs less than the gas you're wasting driving to a far-away dealer. 

Ford generally doesn't use coolant temp sensors, they use cylinder head temp sensors, because the temperature of the coolant is irrelevant if you can directly measure the temperature of the metal itself.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
11/13/18 4:50 a.m.

My GOD this thread is annoying! Obviously I mean because you have to deal with such terrible dealers and total morons. 

What happens if you find I dealer 2 hours away and it overheats on the trip there?

Id think, if Ford Corporate were smart, they’d get on the horn and tell your local dealer to get off their collective asses and get this done. This is looking bad not only for these individual dealers but for Ford itself.

Dave M
Dave M New Reader
11/13/18 7:53 a.m.

If Ford corporate were smart, they wouldn't be teetering on the brink of junk status in a strong economy. 

In all seriousness though, good luck. I've never really dealt with a dealer service department and liked it!

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
11/13/18 8:12 a.m.

Never had a problem like that. Only thing that ever happened was I had to take my Mustang GT in a few times because they couldn't fix the diff cover leaking, they finally replaced the whole assembly.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
11/13/18 8:44 a.m.

I see 3 transactions.  I know we expect that the dealer will manage all these transactions and they have failed you.  Maybe it is best to be the General Contractor yourself and manage the transactions to completion.  

1. Order the part yourself.  This will then generate a call to you when the part arrives at the dealership.  

2. With assurance that the part has arrived, schedule appointment for the install of part. 

2b When setting appointment verify that there will be a loaner car available.  Also, a day or two before the appt, verify again that there will be a loaner available.  

fidelity101
fidelity101 UltraDork
11/14/18 9:15 a.m.
John Welsh said:

I see 3 transactions.  I know we expect that the dealer will manage all these transactions and they have failed you.  Maybe it is best to be the General Contractor yourself and manage the transactions to completion.  

1. Order the part yourself.  This will then generate a call to you when the part arrives at the dealership.  

2. With assurance that the part has arrived, schedule appointment for the install of part. 

2b When setting appointment verify that there will be a loaner car available.  Also, a day or two before the appt, verify again that there will be a loaner available.  

3. Fiestas are garbage

pinchvalve
pinchvalve MegaDork
11/14/18 9:37 a.m.

The problem I am having is that once the part is in and the dealer realizes they have 5 hours of work they wont get paid for, they stop taking my calls.  

I contacted Ford through every means I could find. I explained the issues I was having, told them I was out of options, asked if I could get the work done elsewhere and be reimbursed... all they offered was a list of dealers in my area. That shows me that the customer support problems flow down from the corporate level.

My new strategy is to deal with the dealer group that I have had good success with in the past.  I have been a customer at their Kia location for years, so I called, reminded them of that, then explained my situation and told them I wanted to take the Ford to their Ford location an hour away.  They confirmed the part was in stock, verified the time it would take, arranged the rental car and worked with me on a time that worked for my schedule.  So far, a much better experience, though time will tell once the actual appointment happens.  I will share the dealer once it is all over.  

This experience has caused me to put the brakes on the mods I was going to do over the winter and put the Veloster N on my list.  Maybe I ditch Ford altogether and get a new ride, or grab a leftover 2018 GTI with 0% financing or something.  Ford doesn't care about cars or their customers anymore, so I have a hard time staying loyal to them.  

wnick
wnick New Reader
11/14/18 12:02 p.m.

I had similar problems with my 2009 flex. I found the best way to handle problem dealers is to find a forum for your model. Customer service reps for the manufacturer monitor these sites. Ask the members for a dealer in your area and state that you have had bad service from most of the local ones. State that you have tried to get a recall repaired. You should see a post from a manufacturer rep in a day or two.

Snrub
Snrub HalfDork
11/14/18 12:14 p.m.

Some of the problem may be the specific service advisor that you dealt with. They're commissioned sales people and they have a very high turnover. Experiences can vary greatly depending on the staff you deal with.

chandler
chandler PowerDork
11/14/18 12:50 p.m.

I’ve never been offered a loaner for service or recall work and I guess I never expected it. Is that the major hang up? 

Wiscocrashtest
Wiscocrashtest New Reader
11/14/18 1:33 p.m.

I guess I'm lucky that my local Ford dealer is pretty good. I had the Focus in for a crank position sensor under warranty and got a loaner. Had it is for another recall, apparently it takes hours to re-flash the computer to prevent the hatch from being opened over 25mph. I delayed on the recall but eventually did it. Got a nice Continental loaner. 

pinchvalve
pinchvalve MegaDork
11/14/18 1:39 p.m.

In reply to chandler :

The recall letter that I received stated that Ford would provide a leaner for 24 hours. Why should I have to rearrange my schedule as well as my wife's, especially considering that I have to drive pretty far to avoid the local dealers who are crooks or morons.  It's not a major hang-up, but its an issue, yes. Especially when they promise to have one ready, then don't when you arrive. 

pinchvalve
pinchvalve MegaDork
11/14/18 1:40 p.m.

In reply to wnick :

Good idea in theory, but the Fiesta ST is discontinued, in fact all cars are discontinued, I doubt Ford cares about its little bastard hot hatch. 

jstein77
jstein77 UltraDork
11/14/18 1:52 p.m.

This thread makes me thankful that I have a pretty good local dealer.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
11/14/18 3:13 p.m.

My local Ford dealer has been great to deal with over the years. Then again the third generation of my family is now starting to purchase cars from them now.  

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr UltraDork
11/14/18 3:23 p.m.
RevRico said:

If Smail hasn't been crossed off your list yet, they're good to deal with, but I know it's a ride from your place.  Over the years we've had several recalls taken care of there and they've been competent about it. 

We waited 4 years for the local dodge dealer to get parts for a recall on the jeep. Sold the damn thing before they ever got parts in. 

Ha!  I was waiting to see if he mentioned Smail so I could tell anybody and everybody NEVER to go to them.  They suck out loud.

I have sooo many complaints and stories about their incompetance that I could write a book.

Interested how we could have such different experiences!

RevRico
RevRico UberDork
11/14/18 3:38 p.m.

In reply to wvumtnbkr :

My only recent complaint about them was being forced to watch The View when I was getting a recall done on the cop car. After dealing with Kenny Ross Ford and Star Nissan, Smail was almost a pleasure. Plus they were happy to get me all the strange miata parts I needed. 

I don't doubt for a second for each of my positive experiences there are 3 or 4 negatives, but that's dealerships in general. 

I do wonder how some stay in business though, like Star and Smouse.

Curtis
Curtis UltimaDork
11/15/18 11:03 a.m.

Longshot... have you tried a sympathetic Mazda dealer?  They are, after all, basically a Mazda 2

My Mazda B4000 frequently gets parts from the Ford Dealer.  Heck, even the VIN starts with 1F.

Play hardball and call Ford directly.  Tell them your customer service story and get pissed.  The part and a loaner will be at the dealer the next day.  It means going to a dealer you've written off, but if you're ticked enough with corporate the message will get through and you'll get concierge service.  Use them for the free repair and never go back.

chandler
chandler PowerDork
11/15/18 11:31 a.m.
pinchvalve said:

In reply to chandler :

The recall letter that I received stated that Ford would provide a leaner for 24 hours. Why should I have to rearrange my schedule as well as my wife's, especially considering that I have to drive pretty far to avoid the local dealers who are crooks or morons.  It's not a major hang-up, but its an issue, yes. Especially when they promise to have one ready, then don't when you arrive. 

Maybe I didn’t read the letter far enough haha. Pretty crappy of them to agree to something then reneg...

Curtis
Curtis UltimaDork
11/15/18 5:20 p.m.

I used to work for Star very briefly.  Pretty shady, but that was also 1995.  A lot can happen in 23 years.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xEFGIRPeLHQg6SCG7U4YfA2i6TUcvX6MYFR2fp99O2li9ZBwWNxPAPxvhBjIFNZV