1 2
Karacticus
Karacticus SuperDork
4/9/22 9:45 a.m.

after some gyrations, here's the only photo I've received. Looks awfully shiny for a car from the 70's just dragged across two time zones. 

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UltraDork
4/9/22 10:15 a.m.

That is peak SAAB right there.  The only thing that got better after this was serviceability. Until it didn't.  Learn the quirks and they are extremely easy to work on. Approach with an open mind. The "whys?" of the design all have rational explanations, except the water pump.

Yumper99
Yumper99 New Reader
4/9/22 1:06 p.m.

This is the new owner.  I'm looking forward to the new quirks and remembering old ones - like how to get a 99 into reverse.

I've learned the story behind "idles rich", translates to spits fuel out the tailpipe.  Somehow I don't think that's going to pass CO emissions.  On the other hand, maybe, raw gas is not a combustion by-product.

Looks like everything is there and it goes like it should.  Exhaust and shutting the door both sound like a Saab.

There was a sickening, wheezy sound from inside the dash that was disappointing, creating thoughts of vacuum leaks.  Turns out the door buzzer still works.  All these years and no one has disconnected it (it's kind of pointless as the doors only lock from the outside with a key.  Comes from the factory that way.)  I fell like I should honor it's tenaciousness and leave it connected.

I came with 5 keys.  So far only figured out 2 of them.  1 for the doors & hatch.  1 for the ignition.

The rear hatch, of course, came with a broom handle. 

A real shocker, the clock still works. tick, tick, tick,

Slippery
Slippery UberDork
4/9/22 1:20 p.m.

Cool car! Upload some pictures when you have a chance!

A few years ago I started bidding on this 900 Turbo and then my restrained side took over. Should have placed one more bid but fears of rust kept me from doing it. 

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
4/9/22 1:47 p.m.

Hmm....

Slippery
Slippery UberDork
4/9/22 1:50 p.m.

In reply to Antihero (Forum Supporter) :

Do it! Or send it to Cousin Eddie!!

4/9/22 1:56 p.m.
Slippery said:

In reply to Antihero (Forum Supporter) :

Do it! Or send it to Cousin Eddie!!

The ad says it runs but will need towed. I have like....way too many projects to take on another

Anyone know if he's on the Enablers group?

Karacticus
Karacticus SuperDork
4/9/22 1:59 p.m.
Yumper99 said:

I've learned the story behind "idles rich", translates to spits fuel out the tailpipe. 

Sounds like you're halfway to some kind of anti-lag feature!

Yumper99
Yumper99 New Reader
4/9/22 5:44 p.m.

If anyone feels the urge, there's always this.  Only year they came in that color.

Saab 99 Classifieds - Saabnet.com

procainestart
procainestart Dork
4/9/22 9:42 p.m.
Antihero (Forum Supporter) said:

Hmm...

Base model 8-valve, will be slow :-). Has an '86 or earlier front bumper and corner light. Are you in WA? Curlew ain't close to anywhere. 

4/9/22 9:50 p.m.
procainestart said:
Antihero (Forum Supporter) said:

Hmm...

Base model 8-valve, will be slow :-). Has an '86 or earlier front bumper and corner light. Are you in WA? Curlew ain't close to anywhere. 

I'm in Idaho so, semi close

Yumper99
Yumper99 New Reader
5/1/22 1:19 p.m.

Some more photos.  The cool things.  Dash mounted turbo gauge.  passenger grab bar.

Yumper99
Yumper99 New Reader
5/1/22 1:24 p.m.

Some of the odd.  Oil leaks, maybe not odd as the engine is of Truimph design.  

Rear deck speakers are very Home Depot meets the 1980's.  There is even a CD changer in the sub trunk.

Maybe oddest of all, it passed an emissions test.  CO & CO2 within range.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9YYzbxlmTcGNMisIRFcBxjqGeTQ9uIzihqA9eDkCVtxXI2HNmopbsds9fWVJhmUf