JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
10/27/15 1:30 p.m.
feature_image

When viewed purely objectively, the ROI proposition for Solo Nationals does not look good. For us folks from Florida, it’s a 1400-plus-mile tow each way in exchange for about 6 minutes of racing. But to put it in those terms is to ignore the true nature and spirit of this gathering, which is essent…

Read the rest of the story

Schump
Schump New Reader
11/1/15 10:10 a.m.

How the hell is that roll bar legal with that helmet and your melon? Looks like the roll bar does about as much good as the short roll hoops in the old Cobras do. When I tracked my '73 914 2.0 as a poor college kid, I still had to have a 2" clearance between the top of my brain bucket and a 2x4 that spanned my integral targa roll bar and the windshield frame. I'm a big galloot (6' 4.5" tall, 205 lb) so I had to take the seat cushion out of my 914's factory fiberglass seat to clear the Polishing Club of America's 2" clearance rule.

For those who don't know and own a 914, the passenger seat cradles a keg perfectly with the seat cushion removed! You can also fit 5 cases in the rear trunk, but only do this when it's 11:55pm in Blacksburg and you don't have time to fill out the "we need ANOTHER keg" paperwork legally.

Harvey
Harvey Dork
11/1/15 4:28 p.m.

Solo doesn't have any rollbar requirements.

JG Pasterjak
11/1/15 8:57 p.m.
Harvey wrote: Solo doesn't have any rollbar requirements.

Well, it has some, but the reality is they're loosely enforced since no one really abuses them.. Front hoop is supposed to be above the top of the steering wheel. I moved my wheel WAY up when I converted it to a "sit up" car, so I added an additional hoop on top of the main front hoop. Your head is also supposed to pass a "broomstick test" by fitting under a straight line between the main hoop and the front hoop. I can pass that test in tech. On course I tend to strap myself in a bit more forward. Just sort of works out that way.

Tom1200
Tom1200 Reader
11/2/15 10:23 p.m.

JG, was F-mod voted most annoying class becuase other competitors are:

A. Jealous their cars don't exude the sweet smell of Castrol R in the morning.

B. Mad F-Mod cars and full season cost less than they spent on wheels.

C. Distraught they were beat by a car that uses a fan belt for a transmission.

D. Baffled that a car cornering on the bump stops handles better.

E. To embarrassed to admit they want one.

F. Devastated becuase they know they are having way less fun.

Tom

Schump
Schump New Reader
11/3/15 1:34 a.m.

My old Formula SAE racing teammate/mentor had a F440 that he raced at Slummit Pond, our home track, when he first went from tracking his MitsuE36 M3i/Eagle Talon TSI and taking it and his clapped out F440 auto crossing and went SCCA racing. Late 1990s, I'd say 1997. The Rotax F500 motor had come out but he and Greg Kirby who helped him with his car didn't want to spend the 2 or 3GS for an extra few hp and 60cc's. Fastest time at Summit Point was a 1:22.8. His 1987 Reynard FC went 1:15 I think. Then I got a job at Hot Shoe Racing at Bridgehampton in the summer of 1999 (RIP Bridgehampton, why didn't I get a chance to take my 914 2.0 there???). After I talked to Vic a few times and told him how much Rolf Stutz and Scott and my boss Dennis Macchio were spending on their Van Diemens, he did a double take, and bought a Formula Monster. So pissed he never made vinyl coffee cups and snack plates for the coffee table rear wing! Oh well, his control arms on that brick E36 M3house were $250, and in 1999 our Limey A arms were $375+ and as strong as overlooked angel hair.

BTW, my 914, complete with engine serial #GA 3141 ran the best of a 1:47.60 at Summit Point on Bridgestone RE-71s. (Keep in mind, I was a poor college kid and could never afford an extra set of rims and a set of the hottest at the time BFG R1s.) That and backing out the hp remaining, I had 81 hp left of the factory 91. (This was easily calculated from my 2,030lb with a full tank of gas at Watkins Glen and the 17.7@ 77mph at Capital Raceway in MD 1 Friday night. GOD I miss that car!)

JG Pasterjak
11/3/15 9:03 a.m.
Tom1200 wrote: JG, was F-mod voted most annoying class becuase other competitors are: A. Jealous their cars don't exude the sweet smell of Castrol R in the morning. B. Mad F-Mod cars and full season cost less than they spent on wheels. C. Distraught they were beat by a car that uses a fan belt for a transmission. D. Baffled that a car cornering on the bump stops handles better. E. To embarrassed to admit they want one. F. Devastated becuase they know they are having way less fun. Tom

Yes

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9FJxOnpvB4fTa4JHxjxt67kFDXFz4Ng8BciV7dYfYhqC00FLcuJHfDPsYq34angu