JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
3/31/23 8:20 a.m.
feature_image

Having successfully mated our newer V6 engine with our 1991 Toyota MR2’s original E153 transaxle, we could slide it all into the car.

[How to bolt a Toyota V6 engine to a 30-year-old MR2 transmission]

Before we did that, though, there was a final addition we wanted to make to the…

Read the rest of the story

Noddaz
Noddaz PowerDork
3/31/23 8:31 a.m.

you could fix that lack of a turbo problem while you are in there.

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
3/31/23 10:11 a.m.

In reply to Noddaz :

There are superchargers available for that motor too. 

VolvoHeretic
VolvoHeretic Dork
3/31/23 11:15 a.m.

How is the transmission going to hold up to all of that new power?

JG Pasterjak
3/31/23 11:53 a.m.
VolvoHeretic said:

How is the transmission going to hold up to all of that new power?

E153s are notoriously robust. Which is good, because they're also in rare supply these days. But there's plenty of them out there handling 500+whp in drag cars with no issues. There's a few 700+hp cars that have lunched fourth gear, but I don't think we need to worry about that any time soon. When we had the diff installed, the trans guy when through and measured and inspected everything in there and gave it a clean bill of health. He was actually really impressed with how good everything looked.

The tradeoff is the unit itself is probably 15-20 lbs heavier than it needs to be, but that's entirely equitable IMO.

JG Pasterjak
3/31/23 11:55 a.m.
singleslammer said:

In reply to Noddaz :

Bro do not even get me started. There's the Lotus-sourced one from the Evora, and supposedly a TRD unit out there as well. 

I think 300whp will be plenty for this car*

(*I'm not even going to pretend this is true, but I can't afford a blower right now)

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
3/31/23 12:09 p.m.
JG Pasterjak said:
singleslammer said:

In reply to Noddaz :

Bro do not even get me started. There's the Lotus-sourced one from the Evora, and supposedly a TRD unit out there as well. 

I think 300whp will be plenty for this car*

(*I'm not even going to pretend this is true, but I can't afford a blower right now)

Rumor is the TRD one is a net power loss. surprise

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
3/31/23 12:34 p.m.

Thinking about making use of those looped-back cooler lines on the transaxle?

JG Pasterjak
3/31/23 1:15 p.m.
GameboyRMH said:

Yeah Wilhelm Racing actually makes a trans cooler kit that has adapters for those. I'm doing all the other oil and fuel plumbing now. If there's room, I may add one.

The good news is we swapped out our viscous diff for a gear-driven Quaife, so just that change should reduce temps a bit. 

madmrak351
madmrak351 Reader
4/1/23 4:38 p.m.
GameboyRMH said:

Thinking about making use of those looped-back cooler lines on the transaxle?           Thanks for asking the question I was about to ask.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
4/1/23 5:39 p.m.
JG Pasterjak said:
GameboyRMH said:

Yeah Wilhelm Racing actually makes a trans cooler kit that has adapters for those. I'm doing all the other oil and fuel plumbing now. If there's room, I may add one.

The good news is we swapped out our viscous diff for a gear-driven Quaife, so just that change should reduce temps a bit. 

Oh my no, Torsen type diffs add all the heat to gear oil.  In a road racing RX-7, a clutch pack diff or an open diff would see about 300F rearend temps, a Torsen elevated that to about 400F.

It is precisely because they are gear type that they pump heat into the oil, they work off of friction on some very small surfaces.

Gear oil temps would be neat to monitor, one way or the other.

JG Pasterjak
4/1/23 8:20 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
JG Pasterjak said:
GameboyRMH said:

Oh my no, Torsen type diffs add all the heat to gear oil.  In a road racing RX-7, a clutch pack diff or an open diff would see about 300F rearend temps, a Torsen elevated that to about 400F.

It is precisely because they are gear type that they pump heat into the oil, they work off of friction on some very small surfaces.

Gear oil temps would be neat to monitor, one way or the other.

That's really interesting to hear because my understanding is that while there's pressure between the gearsets there's not a lot of actual friction, because they aren't moving very much relative to each other. But, yeah, this just became an interesting question, so we'll explore further when we finally hit the track.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fszljTENeemjmE9lh1MgKB3VZvsZr7t7TapU4v3b3IieiPSLjb6IoFGwZUhqpUsa