1 2 3
Scott Lear
Scott Lear
3/12/20 2:17 p.m.

Story by Scott R. Lear • Photography by Kevin Adolf

Many people take their first step into motorsports through one of their community circles. When a Ford Mustang owners group or a university SAE club shows up at their first autocross or track event, there’s an obvious synergy. Jak…

Read the rest of the story

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/12/20 2:29 p.m.

And that car showed up in my FB feed this morning. 

Brake_L8
Brake_L8 Reader
3/12/20 2:40 p.m.

Now with nearly 40 more torques thanks to a replacement CPS. Kevin really is the man for building and diagnosing and getting power out of things and I'm happy to entrust the purple pavement eater to him.

We saw some great response from this article in print so thank you David, Scott, and others for making it happen! Glad to grow the community little by little. Shameless plug to follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and YouTube if you're so inclined! Lotta fun stuff queued up for 2020. And for those interested in spreading the love, we have some neat stickers for sale that look great on your car or toolbox. T-shirts coming soon courtesy of a friend and fellow GRM'er.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
3/12/20 2:52 p.m.

The entire content of the article aside, the color of that M3 is fabulous.

yesyesyes

slowbird
slowbird Dork
3/12/20 2:53 p.m.

I'm happy that this is a thing, and thanks to GRM for giving it coverage.

I'm considering painting my challenge car in trans flag colors this year.

David S. Wallens
3/12/20 2:53 p.m.

In reply to Brake_L8 :

Kevin rules. And, ironically, I have him on the other line right now discussing that Merkur seen in the bottom of the photo....

Brake_L8
Brake_L8 Reader
3/12/20 2:54 p.m.
Duke said:

The entire content of the article aside, the color of that M3 is fabulous.

yesyesyes

It's just Mopar's Plum Crazy, a la Dodge Charger/Challenger. Best $500 I've ever spent on that car. It more or less glows in the dark and I love it.

David S. Wallens
3/12/20 2:55 p.m.

Love seeing those Mopar colors being used. It's like the British Racing Green of purple, if that makes any sense. 

Brake_L8
Brake_L8 Reader
3/12/20 2:55 p.m.
slowbird said:

I'm happy that this is a thing, and thanks to GRM for giving it coverage.

I'm considering painting my challenge car in trans flag colors this year.

Do it! A lot of people don't understand the trans community and I think are nervous to ask questions about what it is and/or terminology. Education and a sense of "it's okay to be wrong and ask whatever question" goes a long way! 

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
3/12/20 3:09 p.m.

Maybe it's just me but I don't care AT ALL what a person's sexual orientation is. I never have. I just assumed everyone liked cars.

We're all Gods people in my eyes. Hell, just look at my screen name!

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
3/12/20 3:14 p.m.
ebonyandivory said:

Maybe it's just me but I don't care AT ALL what a person's sexual orientation is. I never have. I just assumed everyone liked cars.

We're all Gods people in my eyes.

Unfortunately a lot of people do care, and are willing to hate or exclude people from stuff because of it.  

Brake_L8
Brake_L8 Reader
3/12/20 3:16 p.m.
ebonyandivory said:

A lot of people think similarly, which is great. Cars and motorsports are both great equalizers, though a lot of people seem surprised that LGBT folks are into all of this. Same deal with women being into cars, wrenching, racing, etc and not just trophy girls. GRM also seems to be a pretty good crowd of "live and let live, and also embrace" sort of people, which isn't always the case.

And for those who are supporters or "don't care" - your advocacy and allyship is very much appreciated. There's a lot going on politically/socially that can weigh on folks in the community, and the conversations and active support are appreciated.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
3/12/20 3:20 p.m.
Patrick said:
ebonyandivory said:

Unfortunately a lot of people do care, and are willing to hate or exclude people from stuff because of it.  

A lot? I've literally never met a single one. (And I'm as Conservative and Right as anyone I know.)

I guess I'd have to see proof of all these bigots congregating at events before I'd agree with you. I guess I can take your word for it but I've never seen it and I'm 50 years old so I've been around.

David S. Wallens
3/12/20 3:21 p.m.

In reply to ebonyandivory :

I don't care, either, but I do support groups that welcome those who might otherwise feel unwelcome. 

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
3/12/20 3:24 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

No one should be left out for something as trivial as this stuff. I agree.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa HalfDork
3/12/20 3:26 p.m.

In reply to ebonyandivory :

They generally dont stomp around crowing about how much they hate The Other, but they are definitely around.

Hate is a subtle thing as well as a glaringly obvious thing

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
3/12/20 3:27 p.m.

I will only get mad at you, because you are faster than I am and therefore I am jealous..  crying

David S. Wallens
3/12/20 3:27 p.m.

Without getting all "he said/she said," I have friends who are gay, trans, non-binary, etc. Yeah, I have heard the stories. And the snickers behind their backs. 

Brake_L8
Brake_L8 Reader
3/12/20 3:30 p.m.
ebonyandivory said:
Patrick said:
ebonyandivory said:

A lot? I've literally never met a single one. (And I'm as Conservative and Right as anyone I know.)

I guess I'd have to see proof of all these bigots congregating as events before I'd agree with you. I guess I can take your word for it but I've never seen it and I'm 50 years old so I've been around.

There's a lot going on at the federal level that continues to try and keep us unequal in the eyes of the law. Here's a great Twitter thread detailing how things have gone the last few years. It's hard when some claim to be supportive and "everyone is equal and great and I love them all!" and turn around to vote to keep you considered "lesser" - I do have friends who do and have done that.

Not trying to let this totally devolve into political discussion but I am more than happy to discuss things in more depth via PM.

Brake_L8
Brake_L8 Reader
3/12/20 3:35 p.m.
Fueled by Caffeine said:

I will only get mad at you, because you are faster than I am and therefore I am jealous..  crying

More gas, less brake, with a dash of iced coffee and 2000s Britney Spears hits. 

David S. Wallens
3/12/20 3:36 p.m.

In reply to Brake_L8 :

So it's the Britney Spears that's the secret sauce, huh? 

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
3/12/20 3:39 p.m.
ebonyandivory said:

I guess I'd have to see proof of all these bigots congregating as events before I'd agree with you. I guess I can take your word for it but I've never seen it and I'm 50 years old so I've been around.

"A lot" is impossible to agree upon. But I will say that there are a number (As in more than zero, while still way less than 100%) of car guys that are uncomfortable around and try to exclude LGBT+ people. As Wallens, says, there are the snickers, the snide comments, etc. Amazingly enough the car culture is not immune from the bigotry of society at large. It's almost like car people are regular people. At 43, I've seen plenty, and so either you've been extraordinarily lucky or you've just not noticed it when it happens around you.

David S. Wallens
3/12/20 3:43 p.m.

In reply to dculberson :

And I'd say the opposite is true, too, as I have seen lots of welcoming people. Like you said, It's almost like car people are regular people.

Brake_L8
Brake_L8 Reader
3/12/20 3:44 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

In reply to Brake_L8 :

So it's the Britney Spears that's the secret sauce, huh? 

Watch people walking around downtown or at a mall. The Straights walk to the tempo of Closer by The Chainsmokers and gay men walk to Toxic by Britney. It's just science, really. ;) 

David S. Wallens
3/12/20 3:45 p.m.

I have like zero gaydar. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lI7osWKj7CcrP8CWBJzBtOG6oxYhrHIWq7sxf5rRNy6m8N3FSK6y2zvMJqre0mcF