4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
5/18/10 7:24 a.m.

VW experts, some advice needed please.
Background: '03 1.8t Jetta. Rebuilt head installed to replace OEM after timing belt let go and head munched the fiddly bits. After the head replacement, the oil light would come on when driving after reaching highway speed. The light would flash 5 or so times, and the ECU would "beep" 3 times at him. He also claimed he could "smell hot oil" when exiting the vehicle after driving. A new oil pressure switch was installed, and now the light will come on after idling for a few minutes like at a stop light or the drive thru window, but not when actually driving, and the oil smell is gone.

Please help, my padawan google ninjitsu is not strong enough to tackle this issue.

16vCorey
16vCorey SuperDork
5/18/10 8:29 a.m.

Put an oil pressure gauge on it.

Paul_VR6
Paul_VR6 Reader
5/18/10 9:23 a.m.

There are both high and low pressure switches on some of these cars, and the look identical and the wiring is easily mixed up. Double check that.

Then, I second the gauge.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
5/18/10 12:19 p.m.

I will forward the switch info on to the cars owner, thanks!

Can anybody tell me what the flashing/beeping light is trying to say aside from "help"?

John Brown
John Brown SuperDork
5/18/10 12:49 p.m.

The flashing and beeping is the car saying: "Stop driving now, forillydoe"

Sometimes timing belts fail because the engine stops pumping oil properly and the cam bearings momentarily seize. While oil sludge isn't as big of an issue on Jettas as it is on Passats, there is still an issue. I would suggest replacing all of the oil control and PCV lines as well as the oil pump pick up tube. Not the cheapest repair, but I know you will be better off afterward.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
5/18/10 12:59 p.m.

is all that something joe public can handle or is it a veedub expert only kinda thing?

John Brown
John Brown SuperDork
5/18/10 1:00 p.m.

Pretty easy for anyone that has removed a turbo or intake manifold.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
5/18/10 2:17 p.m.

kthanks!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
uBynl3kIUZlISq7LgJhnBVfLBMeShQxszP531SRUbL52LpLOoMUGtNgt425mG2sR