Noddaz
Noddaz PowerDork
11/26/22 8:38 a.m.

Others may find this interesting as well.  A 440 CID AMC engine.  Old news, I know.  But the first I have seen it.

440 AMC

Tagline:

Dyno Tested: A 440ci AMC 390 Designed & Built for the Street

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
11/26/22 8:47 a.m.

Early in article:  "AMC made over a billion in profits in 1960 and in 1962"

Also in article:  "AMC couldn't afford to engineer another new engine."

Sounds like mismanagement to me.

Also in article (paraphrased):  "The 290 was a serious contender, except for the log manifolds, 2 barrel carb, small cam, and small ports and valves."  So, basically, it had nothing going for it?

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ SuperDork
11/26/22 9:36 a.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

Also in article (paraphrased):  "The 290 was a serious contender, except for the log manifolds, 2 barrel carb, small cam, and small ports and valves."  So, basically, it had nothing going for it?

Also not in the article, Mitt Romney's dad was at the helm during that period.

I always liked AMC.  They were even quirkier and had just as good of print ads as Mopar.

apologies that that's only half the ad.  The other page had a staid businessman and some pithy late '60s verbiage that I can't duplicate.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
11/26/22 10:34 a.m.

I always like seeing new upgrades available for old engines.  However, a billet crank along with the necessary aftermarket rods and pistons won't be cheap.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
11/26/22 10:36 a.m.

In reply to stuart in mn :

Rods are SBC (well, Oldsmobile rod length people use in SBCs), and reading between the lines, so are the pistons.  Why else would they have chosen THAT bore size?

My brain still hurts thinking about a 65 pound crank.  That is more than my 13B's entire rotating mass including flywheel.  And people wonder why I think V8s can't accelerate smiley

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/26/22 2:08 p.m.

LOL at Edelbrock misspelled in that ad

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
11/26/22 3:50 p.m.

Yeah I've seen that one, it's unnecessarily expensive. The factory forged crank can handle over 1000HP and the extra cubes from that store stroker were minimal. The problem they had with the Proform front cover was a design flaw with that cheap knock off, I don't even think they sell it anymore. 

The design of the AMC is interesting in it's day. It's about the size of the SBC but has huge bores and a much stronger block than a SBF. These days is not worth building one for power compared to modern stuff like the LS and new Hemi, but they had place. Gramps went low 7s at 180 with an all motor AMC with a stock block and crank in the early 90s. There's guys these days doing 6s at 200+ with twin turbo AMC's. 

I helped dad build the 390 in his crazy Javelin. It's stock crank and rods and made 450+hp before the blower (with low compression and the blower cam) and is 800+hp with the 671 Dyers on it. Factory heads, too, though they've been ported, bigger valves, beehive springs, etc.

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ SuperDork
11/26/22 4:09 p.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

That's what Don Draper gets for letting Peggy write ad copy.

Pretty sure the blower is fake too.

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ SuperDork
11/26/22 4:23 p.m.

I always liked this one too where they just come right out and tell you that it isn't as fast as a 427 Vette or a Hemi.  But it is faster than a slow freight train or your old man's Cadillac.

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
11/26/22 4:59 p.m.

In reply to A 401 CJ :

I went looking for the other page of that first ad.  I was expecting something that wasn't politically correct these days.  Not seeing that at all.

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ SuperDork
11/26/22 6:34 p.m.
Stampie said:

In reply to A 401 CJ :

I went looking for the other page of that first ad.  I was expecting something that wasn't politically correct these days.  Not seeing that at all.

I didn't mean I couldn't duplicate it because it wasn't politically correct or in good taste (although quite a few ads from that time would be considered so today), just that I didn't have the word skills of Madison Avenue circa 1968.  Oh, and I couldn't easily find it either.

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
11/26/22 6:38 p.m.

In reply to A 401 CJ :

Oh well here you go.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
11/26/22 6:50 p.m.

I had a big book of muscle era magazine ads, that Javelin one was one of my favorites.

Some of the later Mopar ads were so out there you almost couldn't tell what they were selling.

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ SuperDork
11/26/22 7:39 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

I had a big book of muscle era magazine ads, that Javelin one was one of my favorites.

Some of the later Mopar ads were so out there you almost couldn't tell what they were selling.

You mean like this?

sorry...thread jacking off

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ SuperDork
11/26/22 7:46 p.m.
A 401 CJ said:
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

Also not in the article, Mitt Romney's dad was at the helm during that period.

I always liked AMC.  They were even quirkier and had just as good of print ads as Mopar.

apologies that that's only half the ad.  The other page had a staid businessman and some pithy late '60s verbiage that I can't duplicate.

Boy do I feel like an idiot.  Went back and actually read the article and the very first thing it mentions is that Mitt's dad ran AMC.  Nobody ever talks about that!

Also looks kinda like a Jeep emoji milled into the piston.  That's fitting.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
11/26/22 7:56 p.m.

Jeep immediately files a C&D restraint for the use of a seven bar feature smiley

And yes, like those, but that was one of the tamer ones.  The ones for the E bodies and later B bodies were... odd.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
11/26/22 11:00 p.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

At least they didn't use the more common Elderbrock misspelling.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GWZJH5sSMyX8fDbmep0MiM1U0qiLEqurVBH8sppwArNDEm2I7hCWzDTIPNcNJFU9