Jerry
Jerry HalfDork
7/11/13 8:11 p.m.

So I've removed all the carpet from the MR2, except the headliner. The passenger side floorboard area is pretty clean for a 26 year old car. The driver's side? Not so much.

You can kind of see some of it here.

I'd like to paint it white to just take the edge off at least, it doesn't have to be perfect. Any recommendations on type? I was thinking the appliance epoxy-type paint I saw at Home Depot, with a brush. Thinking spray paint will go all over the inside of a car.

Any ideas?

mikeatrpi
mikeatrpi Reader
7/11/13 8:15 p.m.

Light gray, not white, Rustoleum would be my choice. Brush it on with a foam brush. If the epoxy is better than that, go for it.

Edit - I should say /why/ Rustoleum... in my mind, its cheap and easy to touch up in the future.

Slippery
Slippery Reader
7/11/13 8:25 p.m.

+1 for light grey

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic SuperDork
7/11/13 8:29 p.m.

Bedliner?

Aeromoto
Aeromoto HalfDork
7/11/13 9:27 p.m.

I usually use the paintable spray can rubberized undercoating that they sell at Autozone, Advance, and such

44Dwarf
44Dwarf SuperDork
7/11/13 9:28 p.m.

Go to tractor supply for paint and use their hardner with out it your wasting your time and $$ as it will peel, scratch and take for ever to dry. or use a garage floor expoxy with the color non slip flakes just like older land yachts in there trunks.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon Dork
7/11/13 9:45 p.m.

If you want it to stay clean, I would not do the bedliner stuff. It looks awesome at first, but it collects all kinds of stuff down in every crevice and you can never truly get it clean again. I would do the TSC paint with hardener and put some skateboard grip tape where your heels would be.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey UltraDork
7/11/13 10:06 p.m.

Grey rustoleum for me.

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 Dork
7/11/13 10:27 p.m.

I used satin white Rustoleum brush-on on the interior of my Spec Miata. Worked well.

PseudoSport
PseudoSport HalfDork
7/11/13 11:57 p.m.

Anyone try Summit Racing's Non-Skid Coating?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-sp1602/overview/

jdbuilder
jdbuilder New Reader
7/12/13 6:48 a.m.

Why not Por 15, protect the metal from rust and can take A serious beating cause it's tough stuff. ( unscientifically it will stiffen your floor pans with the added structural rigidity of diamonds)

Jerry
Jerry HalfDork
7/12/13 6:51 a.m.

In reply to DaveEstey:

How long did that take to dry? And I'm assuming you covered it up with carpet or something (looks like a resto).

In reply to amg_rx7:

Did it hold up to footprints fairly well? Rallycrossing means it's going to get dirty, I get that. But I'd like to do something to clean it up a bit.

EvanB
EvanB PowerDork
7/12/13 8:40 p.m.

That's definitely not a resto. See Dave's hilllclimb build thread.

irish44j
irish44j UberDork
7/13/13 9:09 p.m.

My rallycross car I did POR-15 and then brush-on rust-oleum bedliner. It has held up great for 2 years now and I haven't had to recoat anything. The bedliner isn't terribly "rough." I rinse the car out with a hose after every event, and a sponge gets any caked-on red clay up no problem.

mr2peak
mr2peak HalfDork
7/14/13 10:58 a.m.

How clean is the rest of the car? I haven't seen a truly clean AW11 in a few months. Get it done professionally, it will be worth it. They really are becoming rare.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey UltraDork
7/14/13 11:45 a.m.

In reply to Jerry: Took about 3 hours to dry (it was hot as blazes that day). Not covered up at all. This is my race car. $11 in paint for the entire floor applied with a 3" brush. I did it mostly to make it all one color and prevent rust after I removed about 35 pounds of sound deadening that revealed bare metal.

Cage will likely be the same color. White is too bright and reflective. Black is too hot.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey UltraDork
7/14/13 11:50 a.m.

If you want more grip you could probably sprinkle a little sand in the paint when it's still wet.

Jerry
Jerry HalfDork
7/14/13 4:37 p.m.

In reply to DaveEstey:

Plain old grey Rustoleum paint and a roller huh? Sounds like a winner, thanks.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey UltraDork
7/14/13 6:16 p.m.

Always easy to touch up when needed too.

jimbbski
jimbbski HalfDork
7/14/13 10:59 p.m.

I used Rustoleum Hammer Finish paint to paint the floor, roll cage, and interior of my race car. It dries fast, it's hard, minor nicks & chips are hidden by the finish. You put it on heavy, to the point of having runs in the paint to get the best hammer effect. Thinning the paint helps.

Jerry
Jerry HalfDork
7/15/13 8:05 a.m.

My only concern is the floorboard has some ick left from the old carpet & insulation. Kinda like to just cover the whole damn thing.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MWO2hPT61mmzmLgwexJVQhiHD31clSg2Tm5UVjrPxPNcZRg0zZcctJZgiOppO3vJ