2 3 4
Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Intern
11/12/12 8:50 a.m.
thatsnowinnebago wrote: Two words: rock sliders. Seen in action here: I've got em and have yet to notice any dings on my doors. Because that's the only reason to get them.

THIS^

I don't worry about where I park in the Trooper. It'll just put big semi-circular dents in the edge of anyone else's doors.

RoadRaceDart
RoadRaceDart Reader
11/12/12 10:18 a.m.
Tom Suddard wrote:
thatsnowinnebago wrote: Two words: rock sliders. Seen in action here: I've got em and have yet to notice any dings on my doors. Because that's the only reason to get them.
THIS^ I don't worry about where I park in the Trooper. It'll just put big semi-circular dents in the edge of anyone else's doors.

Running boards on a Dodge M-37 do a pretty good number on door edges as well...

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Intern
11/12/12 11:00 a.m.

High heels?

benzbaronDaryn
benzbaronDaryn Dork
11/12/12 11:02 a.m.

Honestly I've given up with dents, my car is magnetized. I parked my car out of the way once and a shopping cart literally locked onto my car like a heat seaking missile. From what I hear these old car made with heavy gauge sheet metal aren't easily fixed.

A truck needs a few dents to look like a truck, I wonder about someone with a clean spotless pickup. Love guys with a bad ass jeep, has a snorkle, hi-lift jact, 33in tires, and not a scratch or ding. "Yo, dude I totally tore that muddy puddle a new one to get a bit of dirt on my bad ass 4x4."

TucoRamirez
TucoRamirez Reader
11/12/12 1:32 p.m.

Walking up to my silver e46 in a target parking lot, I noticed a new ding on the rear door. The Yaris parked next to me was too short to be the culprit. Then I noticed another dent, and another and so on. Damn, I was only away for about 20 minutes. I try to get in and the remote wont work. OK now I'm pissed, they ball peened the side and did something to the locks. And who put that damn wood trim in there... Wrong car.

jstein77
jstein77 Dork
11/12/12 2:19 p.m.

Here in Melbourne, they have really wiiiiide parking spots. (Average driver age is creeping over 80, I think.) 6 year old car, not one single door ding.

yamaha
yamaha Dork
11/12/12 2:28 p.m.

I stressed about this in the past......I had one car that didn't have a scratch on it when I took it to college.....not even 2 weeks later it had a fubar'd door. I got even with the precise use of meat letters combined with freezing rain. I parked half on the grass collecting tickets for it the rest of the year.

My saturn actually got hit in a parking spot at work while it wasn't even in my hands for a month.....left a couple scratches and that was it. Never cared again.

fidelity101
fidelity101 Reader
11/12/12 2:44 p.m.

I just park very far away, a little farther walk never hurt, especially since I sit down all day at work.

oldtin
oldtin SuperDork
11/12/12 2:48 p.m.

On the wrangler - lifted and I had rock sliders and 3/16" plate bumpers. Bad news for 3 cars that rear ended it (texters). One did scratch the bumper paint. These days, in big parking lots - I go for no man's land - not the far spots where the nice cars go - but away from the close spots. Before I fixed the dents and painted - didn't care.

cdowd
cdowd New Reader
11/29/12 8:10 a.m.

I try for island spot and park really close to it. This gives more space between the car next to me.

Chris

stan_d
stan_d Dork
11/29/12 12:34 p.m.

When I college I brought my Malibu home from getting painted and a neighbor door ringed it tearing the fresh paint. I heard it hit in my 2 floor apt. I yelled out the window they said they didn't do it. The crystal was still swinging from my mirror. There were several spots closer to the door too. Anyhow I put a nail leaning on the back of each tire. It was still there next day 4 flat tires. They never parked next to me again!

stan_d
stan_d Dork
11/29/12 12:39 p.m.

Been 20 years ago. I would polish up and mount a piece of stainless angle along the sides. No more door dings and anyone that hits is would have a "V" dent in the door edge to remind them.

Cone_Junky
Cone_Junky Dork
11/29/12 1:00 p.m.

Driving a 25yo POS VW in primer grey or a 20yo truck with large chunks of paint missing kept most people away from me. And if it didn't, I would just swing my door wide open and "accidentally" ding the car that parked over the line and encroaching my spot.

Another option, which I don't recommend, is to totally destroy both your feet in multiple motocross crashes and get yourself a little blue placard. Those gimp spots have a great 3 foot buffer zone around them

wbjones
wbjones UltraDork
11/29/12 8:03 p.m.
stan_d wrote: Been 20 years ago. I would polish up and mount a piece of stainless angle along the sides. No more door dings and anyone that hits is would have a "V" dent in the door edge to remind them.

this I like

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku SuperDork
11/29/12 9:38 p.m.

I drive a Saturn. What are these door dings you speak of?

2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EieiHrHVJmBSveVZdhlCQhAXoztfaiRekIxYMlyCIQHbzN5hwIpQnYk1IHnmZ2LX