notsafeforwork
notsafeforwork New Reader
6/9/19 12:43 p.m.

Has anyone ever successfully used a Parts Store "rental" spring compressor on their front coil springs? We need to swap out the Vega front coils for a softer set but have never done anything like this before. Looked at the videos on YouTube, but could use some "real world" info on the success, cautions, or failures of using this device. Any help or comments or whatever would be appreciated ! Thanks in advance.

Stampie
Stampie PowerDork
6/9/19 1:01 p.m.

I have several times. Still scary as berk. If the old springs aren't needed, and my new springs don't need to be compressed, I've taken to cutting the old spring. I cut about half way though with the car jacked up. Once me and other humans are clear I lower the weight on it to snap it.  The shock retains the spring. 

gunner
gunner HalfDork
6/9/19 1:17 p.m.

I have several times as well. take a look at the condition of the units before you leave the store to be sure of condition and that nothing is missing. They usually have more than one set to rent at a time, so don't take a questionable unit home with you. Pay attention to what you are doing every second and store them away from everyone pointing in a safe direction when they are in use and off the strut. Wear gloves when working with them. That alone can save you from an ER visit. Probably.

That said I will still use them whenever I need to, I've never had a mishap myself with them.

Edit: I just re-read. The coil spring compressors are different than the strut spring compressors. never used em. Good Luck!

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man UltraDork
6/9/19 2:47 p.m.

I bought a set while they were on-sale. They work well on both coil-over-strut springs and separate springs, just go slow and treat it like it's live and you'll probably be fine.

barefootskater
barefootskater Dork
6/9/19 2:53 p.m.

Had one let go once. Loud and scary and pretty sure there is still a dent in my shin bone (though years of skateboarding may have done worse). Never had the guts to try again. My FIL never has trouble with them though. Just keep your fingers clear. 

wawazat
wawazat HalfDork
6/9/19 4:29 p.m.

Used one two weekends back with no problems. It was pretty new and worked fine. 

RealMiniNoMore
RealMiniNoMore PowerDork
6/9/19 5:29 p.m.

codrus
codrus UberDork
6/9/19 10:20 p.m.

Lisle 62300, it has a u-bolt with nuts on both ends that positively retains the spring coils, can't slip off.

noddaz
noddaz SuperDork
6/10/19 6:38 a.m.

I have only used this type, internal spring compressor.

Used it a few times.  No problems other than being a bit fiddly to hook the coils from inside the spring.  And of course trapping it in the new spring when installing spring.

CLNSC3
CLNSC3 HalfDork
6/10/19 7:05 a.m.

I rented a set 15 years ago and kept them, probaby used them a couple hundred times since. But yes, they a little sketchy 

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) UltimaDork
6/10/19 8:19 a.m.

I bought a set from HF maybe 15 years ago.  I’ve used them maybe 1/2 dozen times.  Never had a problem but I take my time and will back off and restart if they start to twist.

Aaron_King
Aaron_King PowerDork
6/10/19 9:55 a.m.

I have used them twice, the first set the counter person brought out had a bent retaining pin so I asked for a different kit.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
6/10/19 11:45 a.m.

I usually put a little lube on the threads.  Makes them work MUCH better. 

However don't listen to anything I recommend when it comes to compressing springs on struts.  The last set of springs I compressed I used about 50 zip ties on each spring while the car was on the ground to hold the spring compressed.  At the time I thought it was a better solution than duct tape.  I have photos some place

Here U go

Hoondavan
Hoondavan Reader
6/10/19 11:47 a.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

LOL

rattfink81
rattfink81 New Reader
6/10/19 3:19 p.m.

I’ve used them dozens of times. Like everyone else says, check to make sure they are in good working order and take your time. 

Lately for daily driven stock stuff I’ve been buying the whole strut assembly as it’s worth the extra $50 or so a piece since it makes it a simple quick swap. 

MrRobogoat
MrRobogoat New Reader
6/10/19 10:35 p.m.

Having needed an internal spring compressor and not had one, I highly reccomend finding the correct tool and technique before getting started. On a 2005 Subaru Outback, there is exactly one position on the front struts where the commonly available free spring compressors will work. On a 1978 Fiat, I made external spring compressors work, but it definitley felt pretty hairy doing so -- an internal compressor would have been safer and faster. I now own an external compressor set, because it was cheap enough to warrant the reduction in hassle and peace of mind that no one else was abusing the tool between uses. The riskiest aspect of using them is getting them setup correctly and keeping them even when tightening and loosening. Using all the catches, going slow and alternating often has worked for me.

notsafeforwork
6/15/19 11:28 a.m.

Thanks for the suggestions and cautions. I think that I'll give the parts store rental a try. I'll be removing the front coils from a Chevy Vega and with the shock removed first, I'll have enough space and access to use an internal spring compressor, maybe a little safer than the external variety. Let you know if I still have all of my fingers, both eyes, and cheeks/nose/forehead intact when I'm done with the "project." I'm not beyond wearing my football helmet when performing this . . . 

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS HalfDork
6/15/19 10:26 p.m.

I bought a Schwaben branded one from ECS.  It seems to be pretty good.  I will snap a photo later this week.  

ShawnG
ShawnG PowerDork
6/15/19 11:03 p.m.

Honestly, if you're not doing struts, you probably don't need a spring compressor.

A Vega has upper and lower arms, you shouldn't need a compressor. 

F, B and A- bodies all use a similar system and I've swapped springs on tons of those without a compressor. There's enough drop in the control arm that it fully unloads the spring before it is all the way down. Chance are, if you had a service manual for the car it would tell you to do it the following way:

Back the lower balljoint nut off a couple threads but not all the way, you want to keep the assembly together. Loosen the lower balljoint, either with a pickle fork or hitting each side of the spindle eye that the balljoint shank goes through with a pair of hammers simultaneously. (this works a treat for me and I don't f-up balljoint boots)

Put the jack under the lower control arm, remove the balljoint nut and separate the lower balljoint from the spindle.

Gently lower the control arm down.

By the time the arm is down all the way, there won't be any pressure from the spring left. Just pull it out and drop the new one in. Assembly is reverse of disassembly.

If you use a spring compressor, you'll spend more time fighting the compressor in and out of the spring than it would take to just do the job without it.

This isn't a safety thing, nor is it sketchy in any way. It's done this way all the time.

I'd rather do it this way and be handling an unloaded spring than a bomb held down with a spring compressor.

notsafeforwork
6/16/19 4:25 p.m.

In this case I will need to use a spring compressor, the previous owner was planning on converting the car to V8 power and somehow managed to wedge in a pair of Monza V8 front coils. This year Vega didn't have the deep pocket lower a-arms so the springs are REALLY wedged in at a weird angle. No compression left towards the inside, coil-on-coil bind, and a great amount of space between the coils towards the outside leaving a curved front on profile. The spring would leap out and bite me were I to release the tension on it by removing the spindles. It's SEVERELY all wound up and ready to strike ! ! The shock running inside of the coil is doing a great job of holding things fast but I'm still afraid of what will happen with that shock removed and the spindle broken free of the ball joint, doubt that I'd be fast enough to get out of the way in time . . . so, compressor it is and thanks for all of the help here !

In this video the spring took considerable effort to remove, didn't just fall out, and it almost hit the fool's ankle, NOT what I'm shooting for at all ! ! !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-A5tjSRfV08

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GJupdJLEaBEn7bU4Px0fSXcDczYclUwH40NsSqAqsu8hfvRo8uYaJ92N4cvV82gp