matthewmcl (Forum Supporter)
matthewmcl (Forum Supporter) Reader
8/21/20 8:45 p.m.

Is there a tutorial on parts washer solution selection?  I am not one of the people that can afford the CRC parts washer, but I may still be able to feed a parts washer their solutions.  There are a lot of choices, though, so if there is a GRM video on what types of solutions to use, dispose of, etc., I was love to watch that.  If not, can we get one?

Thanks

newrider3
newrider3 Reader
8/21/20 9:16 p.m.

I like to link the following graphic for degreaser discussions, because it does a pretty good job of comparing cost, performance, and health/environmental hazard. I use Purple Power in my parts washer, because it's cheap and readily available at auto parts stores and Home Depot, and it's low on the hazard scale. It's safe enough that you should basically be able to dilute it and pour it down the toilet when you're done.
Compare to the Zep purple degreaser on the same list, also cheaply available at the HD, but it is more hazardous and lower performing.

http://www.wastemin.com/discuss/index.php?threads/industrial-degreaser-performance-ratings-how-the-top-15-degreasers-stack-up.6/

I use paint thinner/mineral spirits. Whatever is cheapest by the 5 gallon bucket.

Northern Tool also sells a paint thinner based solution by the bucket. 

noddaz
noddaz UltraDork
8/22/20 10:18 a.m.
Toyman01 (Moderately Supportive Dude) said:

I use paint thinner/mineral spirits. Whatever is cheapest by the 5 gallon bucket.

This may not be the best idea, Sparky.  I know it works, but the fire risk is real.

Scott

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE Dork
8/22/20 11:39 a.m.

Not to throw my fireman hat on, but a parts washer is gonna atomize all that and turn your work area into something like a fuel-air bomb.

ColoradoBob
ColoradoBob New Reader
8/22/20 1:58 p.m.

I use fully strength Simple Green in my parts cleaner.  It cleans very well and there's no concern with getting it on your hands

matthewmcl (Forum Supporter)
matthewmcl (Forum Supporter) Reader
8/22/20 3:41 p.m.

In reply to newrider3 :

That is an awesome link; thank you.

In reply to GIRTHQUAKE :

Many industrial cleaning solvents are petroleum based, many are mineral spirits based. I've been using this for close to 10 years with zero issues. 

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
8/22/20 5:02 p.m.

I have a fancy CRC BenchtopPro bioremediating parts washer, but if I still had a traditional style one I'd probably use this:

https://www.crcindustries.com/products/parts-washer-solvent-5-gal-05067.html

CRC stuff just plain works, and they're a great supporter of GRM. 

Oh, and their fancy parts washers really are amazing.... I'm convinced that mine is made of self-cleaning magic. 

SkinnyG (Forum Supporter)
SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) UberDork
8/22/20 5:05 p.m.

I use solvent in my parts washer.  It's the fumes that keep me looking so young and waxy.

In reply to Tom Suddard :

That's an interesting design. They aren't cheap though. A floor model is $2k+ 

How do you like the cleaning capability of their solution compared to the old fashion stuff? I wonder if it will work in a traditional parts washer. I'm due for a fluid change now and a permanent solution is certainly tempting. 

I used the Harbor Freight waterbased stuff i last time I had a dishwasher set up. It worked well. Not great, but well for something easily disposed.

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
8/22/20 6:55 p.m.

Get your matches out and try to light the varsol in your parts washer.

Go ahead, I'll wait.

It's as bad as trying to light diesel.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/23/20 11:10 a.m.

I'm a fan of oil eater

noddaz
noddaz UltraDork
8/23/20 7:30 p.m.

Napa shows the portable unit at $404

maj75 (Forum Supporter)
maj75 (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
8/23/20 8:54 p.m.

Can I just say that Napa's search engine and sorting ability suck.

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/24/20 1:08 p.m.

Not sure if this scales down to a smaller parts washer, but our big "dishwasher" cleaner that we used for engine blocks and transmission cases got a steady diet of powdered Tide laundry detergent.  It worked brilliantly, and who doesn't love a 4L60E that smells like fresh linen?

06HHR (Forum Supporter)
06HHR (Forum Supporter) Dork
8/24/20 1:51 p.m.

Another Oil Eater fan here, not the easiest to find in my area though. Only place that reliably has it in stock is TSC.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
8/24/20 3:26 p.m.
GIRTHQUAKE said:

Not to throw my fireman hat on, but a parts washer is gonna atomize all that and turn your work area into something like a fuel-air bomb.

Kerosene is much nicer.

At home, I'd use the hottest water the water heater can produce, and Sears powdered laundry detergent.  Because it was like $5 for a 25lb box or something crazy like that.  The nice thing is parts cleaned this way won't flash rust.

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/24/20 3:31 p.m.
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) said:

Not sure if this scales down to a smaller parts washer, but our big "dishwasher" cleaner that we used for engine blocks and transmission cases got a steady diet of powdered Tide laundry detergent.  It worked brilliantly, and who doesn't love a 4L60E that smells like fresh linen?

I'm allergic to something in Tide, so I use kerosene

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LZ5xVuuQfPKA8NwHakjUVQzfNxktPknv0vRJjVrtagY7CZPMNEGzUkYrhTBya6GB