Carrera4
Carrera4 Reader
9/17/09 9:27 a.m.

I'm going to give myself a little pat on the back here. I had pulled the engine out of my '83 944 to fix some oil leaks, replace the clutch, etc. This is my first engine pull from any car ever. I'm mechanically enclined, but never took on something of this magnitude until now. I didn't pay a lot for the car, so if I screwed it up badly, I figured I wouldn't feel terribly guilty

Well after doing all the work to the engine, I put it back in last night. I had it all aligned the day before, but it was just sitting on my atv jack, with nothing actually securing it in place.

Starting at 8:00 PM last night, I began bolting everything in place, hooking up all the vacuum lines, wiring do-dads, clamping down all the hoses, etc. By 12:00 I realized that I was tantilizingly close to being able to actually start the car. By 12:30, I was able to turn it over and sure enough, it fired up and ran!

I'm hoping to actually get it off jack stands and drive it around the block by the weekend, and it looks like that might actually happen. Keep in mind that I haven't actually driven this car yet, as I bought it non-running.

EricM
EricM HalfDork
9/17/09 9:40 a.m.

Nice!

and that is encouraging as I plan, over the winter, to pull my motor replace the clutch, replace motor mounts, and replace the Leaking power steering witha manual rack, and put a tubular (rather than cast iron) header on it. I may even at the same time gasp take out the rear torsion bar and put ture Koni coilovers back there.

good work!

Woody
Woody SuperDork
9/17/09 11:57 a.m.

Nice job.

Next up: The Carrera 4...

RossD
RossD HalfDork
9/17/09 12:04 p.m.

Nice work, I had a similar experience last night too. Got my windshield into the Capri, bled the brakes, and mounted the wheels onto the car. Hooked up the battery but it was dead, damn. Hopefully I'll be driving around the block by the weekend too!

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair SuperDork
9/17/09 6:03 p.m.

Nice!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jQ9TuZmuD1PJNkeBITdbVBP01pHV0uUUmRKhbzhjDgLWDckuh96vPy6kRxebytcv