1 2
VolvoHeretic
VolvoHeretic Reader
3/9/22 1:03 p.m.

In reply to iansane :

I had to look it up. Not in ND

Can I Ride My Bike On The Sidewalk?

Edit: Also, no pedestrian or bicyclist has ever jumped out in front of me because my car is intensionally loud for that very reason and it sounds even better if it's revving at least above 3500rpm. smiley

Erich
Erich UberDork
3/9/22 1:17 p.m.
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) said:

People walking or biking on the road drives me nuts. There is a sidewalk right there! Why aren't you using it!?

Oh, that's right. If I hit you because you walked in front of me, it's my fault and you get to sue me for everything I have. 

In several areas around town they are removing traffic lanes to put in bike Lanes. Now the already congested roads are even worse for the 3 people a day that ride by on a bike that could have just used the sidewalk. Bonus point : This is on Michigan where its too cold to ride a bike 6 months of the year.

A lot of people ride bikes in the road because it's the safer place to be. Crashes with bikes happen most often at intersections – either by a car turning right, into the parallel path of the bike, or by the driver turning and not noticing there was a bike or pedestrian crossing. You might watch for pedestrians and bikes at every single red light, stop sign, and crosswalk but studies have shown most drivers don't, and often stop not at the white line but well beyond it and into the crosswalk, if they stop at all. Drivers who are turning onto a roadway watch intently for oncoming vehicle traffic, but often ignore crossing pedestrian traffic.

I'm not saying bike riders and pedestrians don't act with stupidity - they do! It's at about the same rate that drivers do. They're all people after all. 

Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter)
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) UberDork
3/9/22 1:23 p.m.

It's pretty bad in Columbus, in my village is pretty quiet. 

Like 2 weeks ago in my F450 tool truck some guy stepped right off the side of the road in front of it. 

thedoc
thedoc HalfDork
3/9/22 1:32 p.m.

Here in Maine, or at least my part pedestrians and bikes rule absolutely.  To the point that they seem to feel they will not get hurt when struck.  People step off into traffic, just daring you to hit them.  Cyclists do whatever they please, even the people here in bike clubs hate cyclists.  I once missed hitting a cyclist head-on, to the point I sat in the car hyperventilating about the close call.  As he rode off cussing me out, I realized he was driving against traffic.  My fault for being there.

We have these crosswalks with blindingly flashing lights that the pedestrians can activate.  I was on a long straight road, early in the morning, the only car in sight.  Pedestrian chose to put the lights on and wait until I had to stop for them to cross.  Unreal.  There was not another car in sight and it was barely morning.

The only reason more aren't hit is that all the drivers are hyper-aware of what idiots these emboldened people have become.

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
3/9/22 2:24 p.m.

It's not an issue in North Charleston or Goose Creek. If you step off the curb without looking or outside of a crosswalk the odds of becoming a statistic are very high. If you are cycling and not staying in your lane or stopping for lights, the odds are high that you will earn a white bike. 

In downtown Charleston, it's a bit of a problem. Pedestrians looking at their phones instead of the lights and cyclists weaving in and out of traffic. Luckily speeds are low so not too many of them end up dead. With 160 pedestrian deaths a year in the state, I sure don't step off a curb without looking very carefully and often.

VolvoHeretic
VolvoHeretic Reader
3/9/22 10:38 p.m.

And then there are the parents who park their child's stroller right on the edge of the intersection corner waiting for some truck to cut the corner and kiss their kid.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XovyCJXMa7dDEq4j793dC7tCkvLqZNwS8h5HErr85H8lvtGdktNqXXgwqcp9tCEq