1 2
oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy Reader
8/12/10 7:16 p.m.

405 Mi16 was cool... and is fwd...

sorry if I forgot to add the 505 was rwd... thought it was obvious.

Tyler H
Tyler H Dork
8/12/10 8:37 p.m.

I think these are surprisingly good cars for what they can be had for. Bought one for $500, took it to the Rallycross nationals and sold it for $500. The fuel pump was noisy when I bought it and crapped out after the rallyx.

Sold it to a GRM member here and he slapped a FP on it in my garage and drove it away.

7-valved shocks and a shift knob shape like papaw's cane.

Rob_Mopar
Rob_Mopar Reader
8/12/10 9:35 p.m.
oldeskewltoy wrote: 405 Mi16 was cool... and is fwd...

My wife had a 405 Mi16 when we were dating. It was cool when things worked. That wasn't that often, and it was still under warranty. When it wasn't working it was merde.

Peugeot's definition of antilock brakes must have been lost in translation. When the ABS kicked on you had no brakes. Pedal to the floor, still rolling at full speed. Was equipped with a hand lever parking brake. Came in handy more than once. Dealer never could figure out what was wrong with it.

That's only one sample of the fun of a Mi16. I'll save the others for another thread someday...

Her parents had a 505 Turbo. It was reaching the end of its life when we were dating. It was tough but tired. The 405 was a major letdown compared to the 505.

benzbaron
benzbaron HalfDork
8/12/10 10:25 p.m.

My Grandfather had a 505 turbo diesel and it was a good car, wish I would have gotten it but it went. I guess he had an extra gas tank put in the trunk and the car could drive a really long time before needing gas. My grandfather would fill the car down to Tijuana when diesel was still cheap. Don't know much other than that and my grandfather said when the turbo kicked in the car would go.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado SuperDork
8/12/10 10:28 p.m.

1987 and 1988 SCCA Showroom Stock B National Champion. (Victor Van Tress, both years IIRC)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TQpgdgPTog

We corner workers made many jokes about the body roll, but they sure could honk in a straight line. And they really had better grip in the corners than they looked like they did. I guess they were just designed that way..

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy Reader
8/13/10 10:07 a.m.
Rob_Mopar wrote:
oldeskewltoy wrote: 405 Mi16 was cool... and is fwd...
My wife had a 405 Mi16 when we were dating. It was cool when things worked. That wasn't that often, and it was still under warranty. When it wasn't working it was merde. Peugeot's definition of antilock brakes must have been lost in translation. When the ABS kicked on you had no brakes. Pedal to the floor, still rolling at full speed. Was equipped with a hand lever parking brake. Came in handy more than once. Dealer never could figure out what was wrong with it. That's only one sample of the fun of a Mi16. I'll save the others for another thread someday... Her parents had a 505 Turbo. It was reaching the end of its life when we were dating. It was tough but tired. The 405 was a major letdown compared to the 505.

hehehehe ah the ABS system... yes, I experienced it too... in NE Pa winters... found it best to swerve to the shoulder where the snow would provide some traction for braking....

Other ABS/braking issue I had.... a broken 3rd brake light filiment triggered the ABS system to fail(should have left it failed)

btw... note I didn't say fun... I said cool... the Mi16 was a lot like a Lancia... had great potential, but it failed.

MrBenjamonkey
MrBenjamonkey Reader
8/13/10 10:43 a.m.

That would be a neat car to slowly turn into a monster. Can't find the specialty tool to take out the clutch? Drop a 302 and T5 in there. Can't find that interior trim? Gut it and build a cage. I don't know if it's in any way comparable, but I'm having a lot of fun with my weirdo car right now.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado SuperDork
8/14/10 1:29 a.m.

Old corner worker story..at the 1988 SCCA Runoffs, I met a French guy from Peugeot's PR group who already knew that his company was thinking about leaving the US market (even though he'd only been sent to the Runoffs because 505s were about 98% of the SSB field). He drank with us long enough to spill this little gem about how shallow most Americans are about cars. I don't recall how the conversation got around to brake squeal, but I was drinking as well..

All I remember was what the guy told us when we were all discussing the subject.

"Europeans don't really care if the brakes make some noise, as long as they do a good job at stopping the car. Americans don't care if the brakes don't stop the car, as long as they don't make any noise."

To this day, I can't find anything to debunk that claim...

barrysomm
barrysomm New Reader
8/14/10 3:55 p.m.

At one time there was a doctor with a few and he raced them up here at Pocono. I loved mine, 505 sedan hat is.

gamby
gamby SuperDork
8/17/10 12:01 a.m.
ditchdigger wrote: Apparently the bolt pattern is an oddball 4 lug with the same PCD as 6 lug light trucks so folks just drill two extra holes in truck wheels and bolt em up. Cheap and wide

That is HOT.

m4ff3w
m4ff3w SuperDork
12/29/10 10:48 p.m.

This thread is old. There is a pair of 505 turbos tempting me.

Anyone have anything else to ad? The Milano has been around for over a year and I'm ready for something new.

The Biturbo deal fell through on me.

EvanB
EvanB Dork
12/29/10 11:02 p.m.

I really want one. I almost got one for $800 (non-turbo though) but the seller flaked out and stopped responding to my emails. Instead I got a euro Merc 280SE which has been less than satisfying.

That idiot who can't spell
That idiot who can't spell SuperDork
12/30/10 9:31 a.m.

You guys suck now I want a 505.

Raze
Raze Dork
12/30/10 12:09 p.m.
m4ff3w wrote: This thread is old. There is a pair of 505 turbos tempting me. Anyone have anything else to ad? The Milano has been around for over a year and I'm ready for something new. The Biturbo deal fell through on me.

Sell the Milano and buy a 505, post pictures when done /thread

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nv4qZII4cvJVFVTSSOuVDiK5BpoMouew54B30KGAiNNJ9tcZKXr4Ngwzkj59YUOg